Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: In Betweeners, How Do You Describe Yourselves?

Banned Read only
    l:

I identify as Transgender. I do cross the gender boundary, both at home and out in public. Last month I outted myself to a significant number of people. In one situation, I was dressed. In two other situations, I was not dressed, but I showed a photo of me while dressed. In those two instances, I stated specifically that I was Transgender, but that it was not of such significance that would warrant transitioning. The full accounting was in a thread that I created with SteppingOUT in the thread title.

While I have not done therapy as a means of figuring out where things stand for me, my logic is this:

Going back to childhood, there have always been things that touched me to the point of tears; or at least bordering on it. It could be something that I read, a movie that I saw, a perfect cloud formation, whatever. There is a quote from the late poet Audre Lorde that never ceases to effect me:

“When I dare to be powerful, to use my strength in the service of my vision, then it becomes less and less important whether I am afraid.”

Whatever nerve it touches, it finds the same one every time. I spent 6 years working as an ex-patriot in Taiwan. Every now and then, I would be waiting for a traffic light to change and it would occur to me that what I was doing was far beyond any dreams that I ever had. I was living in a foreign country halfway around the world and I was doing just fine. A couple of times I almost missed the traffic light as I was wiping the tears away. Anyway, there has always been this other side that I really didn't understand (and seemed to be damned inconvenient), at least until I started dressing.

People here talk about the feeling of shame and guilt that they have experienced as a function of dressing and how many have purged wardrobes; even multiple times in some cases. I've experienced very little shame and guilt and the idea of purging never occured to me until I read about it here. There is very little in the way of negatives that I associate with dressing. In a way, it was like falling into a hole by accident and then discovering that you stumbled upon a Really Cool Place. It almost seemed to be too easy. When I looked back, I realized that maybe I had found something that was a major piece to the puzzle.

Along the way I made some other discoveries. I don't like to refer to DeeAnn in the 3rd person as I don't view her as a separate entity. I also don't wake up in the morning and think about if I feel like Don or DeeAnn. They are just different facets of the same gem stone. The same qualities are present with the difference being magnitude as a function of how I'm presenting. It's probably also important to note that I've never had a problem with presenting and functioning as a male. Part of that is likely conditioning, but I've never sensed a conflict between genders.

So, I've come to the conclusion that there is definitely a feminine side to my personality. Said another way, I don't view myself as 100% male. It appears that this female energy has always been present, but was suppressed and/or ignored in order to make it easier for me to fit into the world as a male. But, to this point it hasn't felt like the female part is strong enough to take over. So far Don and DeeAnn are coexisting nicely. Perhaps equilibrium has been reached.

DeeAnn

Although "gender fluid" works for me, when I describe myself to others I say I'm "bi gender". I use that description because I' ok with myself either as a guy or fully en femme.
    Luv and Jill

Straight, into Fantasy Land

Banned Read only
    I'm a dude. 24/7/365. Sometimes, this dude dresses like a woman. It makes no sense but it is what it is.
    Last edited by Jenniferathome; 11-30-2015 at 10:29 PM.

I've taken a liking to genderfluid. At different times, I feel for sure I must be transsexual because I feel like I am a woman, and then at other times, I feel more like a guy.

I was the one who started this thread, and I am Sooooooooo gratified by the responses. The variety of reflections really makes e feel like I am in a place where I belong. I especially enjoyed the reversible comment, and Mechamoose's description.
    "We are born naked, everything else is drag" - RuPaul

Non-binary/Questioning
    Quote Originally Posted by flatlander_48 View Post
    People here talk about the feeling of shame and guilt that they have experienced as a function of dressing
    I have definitely experienced this.

Quote Originally Posted by flatlander_48 View Post
    So, I've come to the conclusion that there is definitely a feminine side to my personality. Said another way, I don't view myself as 100% male. It appears that this female energy has always been present, but was suppressed and/or ignored in order to make it easier for me to fit into the world as a male. But, to this point it hasn't felt like the female part is strong enough to take over.
    Quote Originally Posted by UNDERDRESSER View Post
    I don't think of myself as TG, or gender fluid, but as a man who is not happy with what society defines as the rigid boundaries of male and female behaviour.
    These two quotes resonate with me. I'm still trying to figure out my gender identity, but at the moment I'm considering myself as 'mostly male-identified but somewhat genderfluid'. Sometimes I use 'autogynephile' as a descriptive term (i.e. without the theoretical baggage) because I'm a man (mostly) who usually presents as strongly male but who would prefer to be a woman. I am not actually female and I'm not 'trapped in a man's body'. There are elements of my psyche that I feel are more female than male and I often find dressing in women's clothing to be more 'comfortable' (I don't wear makeup etc because I don't go out dressed and I have a beard). I like the feeling of having breasts. I'm bisexual (with a hetero preference) but I don't feel that's in any way relevant to my gender identity. I don't think I am TS or that I'll ever get to that point, but who knows?
    Last edited by Mayo; 12-01-2015 at 11:10 AM.

What often gets people confused is that they equate androgynous with neuter, but they are opposites. In other words, androgynous means BOTH gendered, usually strongly characteristic, while neuter is NON gendered. You can see this sometimes when reading androgynous blogs and such, they wish to be non gender labeled because they are both. As you may well imagine, however you are presenting you want to be personally pronouned correctly, thus 'she' when you are presenting female and so on. For an androgyne it is a pronoun nightmare, thus the angst.

Why bring this up? Because personal pronoun angst and considerations are a good clue to where each of us stand. Considering so many CD's are cis-gendered, they mainly wish to be pronouned in their biological gender, outside of those times when they are presenting opposite biological gender. Those of us who are on the gender variant scale may find a certain joy in the mis-labeling, no matter how we are presenting at the time. Consider "You are such a girl!" and like phrases.
    Personally I do not think or consider myself a man directly. My biological gender is male. Yet my brain is rather more female-centric. I suppose I am transgendered, a female leaning androgyne. This seems like a good way to preserve the male parts that I do like, such as being physically strong and identifying with extreme athletes, right along side my tears over Flatlander_48's thread response and my anxiety over having to dress "like a man" at holiday parties...

Gender fluid. But it's been a long process getting there and a gender role I finally feel comfortable with. I feel most comfortable presenting in a feminine manner, but really don't feel that it goes beyond the clothing I am most comfortable in.

Banned Read only
    All messed up with no place to go...oops, I mean DRESSED UP!

Actually the ol' gender fluid tag works for me, so far the fluid appears to flowing (and accumulating) on the femme side though 😐

Cross dresser definitely, but I like and embrace the gender fluid thing. It's a new phrase to me but fitting.

I view myself as transgender, I could see me myself transitioning myself some days, and have researched the process. I love the phisical transformation when I'm fully shaved, made-up, and wig is in place; l am, truly happy! While I am in drab I have been called miss or mam and while not anoid, I ponder what they see that I don't.

Aspiring Member
    just totally messed up since childhood