Thread: Flying Pretty?

Flying Pretty?

I see that so many people here talk about "flying pretty." That is something that has never really crossed my mind... even if I felt I could pass.

What is the attraction to so many to "fly pretty?"

Lacy PJs

For me it was doing something en femme that I have done many times in male mode. Treat it like a challenge, stretching the envelope, for some living their true life, whatever. Kind of like why climb Mt. Everest? .... Because it is there!

I did it a couple of weeks ago, and wrote about it.

For me it is a great experience because then I can go around and have several things done with a purpose. I am a bit tired of just walking around without anything planned. I also think it is exiting because I need to show my real ID. The most exiting part is that I need to communicate with a lot of people and that I don’t have any possibility of backing out. I look forward for my next flight.

Little Mrs. Snarky! Nadine Spirit's Avatar
    For me it was something that initially I told myself that I could NOT do. And kind of a buggy thing with me is when some part of my brains says that I CAN'T do something then another part says, "oh yeah, just watch." Thus this past summer when I had a chance to fly pretty, I nervously did it. And it turned out awesome.

I haven't done it yet, but that is the next thing on my list and it's a biggy. I agree with Nadine and Allie that there certainly is an element of challenge to it.

For me though there are other attractions too. A little background - I am fairly comfortable going out - to the mall, coffee shop, restaurants, grocery store, etc. (I know I haven't posted much about it - turning over a new leaf and gonna start contributing more here!) Like many I'm learning to dress down for these activities in order to blend. I don't pass in face-to-face interactions, but I do notice that I'm starting to blend a little more. My goal is to present well, and to represent us with confidence and friendliness.

Anyway, back on topic - I fly for work multiple times per month. It's pretty boring in male mode. While people watching at the airports I notice that many GG's are dressed nicer than what they would wear at the mall, and certainly the flight attendants are. So from a blending standpoint, flying pretty is an opportunity for me to wear clothes nicer than what I would wear to the mall but still fit in.

I also agree with Robin's point - it's an opportunity for me to dress nice for the day with a purpose, instead of just browsing the mall in casual clothes.

Finally, it's an opportunity to dress as I want, amongst a sea of strangers, in different cities. When I do it someday, I'll write about it here for sure! I can only imagine that it will be a feeling of being set free (along with feelings of nervousness, adrenalin, and excitement!)

Sandra

I firmly believe that "Transvisibilty" is a very important educational tool for the masses .. "Passing" really means nothing in this test. You are tested and scrutinized at close range..Get used to living your life this way and everything will be a "non event" and your life in the mainstream will flow. I have had State ID for years now and changed my DL a couple of years ago. Like plane travel,those are other tests. Every time "someone in authority"[TSA,DMV people,etc] has a positive interaction with a Transgender person,then they become educated and aware that "we" are there...in their world..AND,we just want to be treated as we should be...

I have done it a few times and agree with all that was said above. My first time I had my bag packed for an early morning flight, with his and hers clothes, makeup, all femme undies, etc. I was somewhat lacking in courage, so when I awoke at 5:00 am, I still hadn't decided whether to go through with it. Nothing to do but take the bull by the tail and face the situation. I did my makeup, and then firmly attached my forms. That was the point of no return. They don't come off easily and glue removal, if just freshly applied, is a true mess. I put on the rest of my outfit, including modest heels, jumped in the car and drove to the airport. The fact that I had no way to back out was thrilling and scary. Going out in public is one thing - do it all the time. Being packed sausage-like into a silver tube with 200 others for a couple of hours is daunting the first time, to say the least. BUT, I think we all come out a better person and better represent the T world for it.

Rhonda
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Be all the woman that you can be!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    . . . and now, On With The Show!

Quote Originally Posted by Lacy PJs View Post
    I see that so many people here talk about "flying pretty." That is something that has never really crossed my mind... even if I felt I could pass.

What is the attraction to so many to "fly pretty?"

Lacy PJs
    I would suggest its all about doing something normal.

Some don't want the hassle of changing when they arrive at their destination.
    Shelly

Super Moderator....How to tell your partner......Abbreviations

For me, probably the ultimate challenge, I have traveled pretty on long distance AMTRAK, this can be confronting if you are on the train for two days or more.

In that time you experience a couple of crew changes and new people to get to know.

Not enthusiastic about the security at airports as I get mine checked regularly with all my radio communication gear.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

i agree with shelly, it is just a normal thing to do....if you are en femme, why would you change to out of yourself to do the flying thingy

never had a problem

Background on my experience:

http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...ty!&highlight=

For me it was just a big old thrill ride, like going on a roller coaster ride I wasn't sure I was up to. First, of course, was presenting as well as I possibly could and all the pleasantry that entails. Then, test after test after test: parking, checking in, TSA, boarding, long flight in close quarters, deboarding, rental car, hotel check in. All with no parachute - you chicken out, too bad. You're clocked and mocked, too bad.

It had risen to the top of my bucket list, and I had become rather obsessed. I was not sure at all whether I could pull it off, but I did, and it was a spike of confidence for other adventures. Given all that, I don't feel a strong need to do it again.

Hugs, Michelle

I haven't done this yet, but it's the next thing on my list. I've gone on a few femme vacations where I bring nothing but femme attire. But I've always flown in drab. The next time I do one of these, I'm going to go all the way and fly pretty.

Before coming to this website and reading about others flying pretty, this was something I never thought I would do. A few weeks before flying pretty for the first time, I was chatting online with another member of this site, and when I told her about my trip she asked if I was going to fly pretty, and I replied I was not planning on doing it. She encouraged me to do it. I then decided to do it. The night before the trip I wondered if I would have the courage to do it the next morning. Got up early the next morning and got dressed en femme, wearing a black dress, black hose and heels. Leaving my apartment for the airport there was no turning back. There were no slacks in my suitcase, no male items, so I was all in. Everything turned out fine. For the whole trip I was dressed en femme. Plus not having to pack forms saved space in my suitcase. Another accomplishment in my journey of dressing en femme.

Since then, I have done it many more times. The only times I do not fly pretty any more is when meeting someone at the airport I am flying to, that I am not out to. Now when I fly pretty, I am just being who I am. I now see myself as being TS.

Below is my post I made after flying pretty for the first time.

http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=flying+pretty
    Last edited by grace7777; 12-01-2015 at 05:40 PM.