Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is it a hobby, compulsion or addiction?

Reality Check
    I call it a "hobby" from time to time but it's probably more than that. If you define it as an "addiction" (I do not), it's probably time for you to get some help or at least step back and think of what you're doing to yourself.

If my SO known of my cross dressing she would call it an obsession. I get involve in a new activity/hobby and jump in with both feet. I have had an interest in cross dressing from a young age but only recently have I had a chance to fully explore this. I think the pink fog has rolled in.

All of the above

Quote Originally Posted by Krisi View Post
    I call it a "hobby" from time to time but it's probably more than that. If you define it as an "addiction" (I do not), it's probably time for you to get some help or at least step back and think of what you're doing to yourself.
    I think anyone who CDs has some sort of gender identity issues. And if it's an addiction, I agree that help is needed.
    I'm a nice Jewish girl.

I'm not a girl, Not yet a woman.

None of the above. I am feminine, and dressing is a way to express the femininity.
    Chickens should be allowed to cross the road without having their motives questioned

Well to me its nne of them its, just a way of life that I really love.

Quote Originally Posted by MischaSummers View Post
    It's primarily a hobby, because its something I do for fun a couple of times a week. But there's a few times every couple of months where it feels like an obsession: those times when the pink fog takes hold, and you just spend spend spend on anything that suits your other persona.

I think for some people, especially if they're TG or transitioning, calling it a hobby is offensive because this is a huge part of who they are. And I understand that, but for a straight guy like me that has no interest in going the Caitlyn Jenner route, this is just a fun thing that I enjoy doing that releases me from the stresses and ills of my life.
    I totally agree, Mischa!

"It", crossdressing, is not the same drive, style, intensity, frequency, etc. for all of us, so it may be a hobby for some, and/or an addiction, compulsion, lifestyle, etc. for others.
    If one (or more) descriptions doesn't apply, can't it just be ignored instead of taking offense?

I have considered it an addiction. Primarily because I have felt the, "I can stop at any time," but I never could. I think the criteria for and addiction is that it is a strong craving that negatively affects your normal life. Kind of like how an alcoholic might show up at work drunk and can endanger others or lose their job, etc. That is harder to map to my behavior... but it might be accurate to a (hopefully) small degree.
    I am a man who presents male and wears feminine clothes.
    I blog about my outings: https://joeypress.wordpress.com/

I suppose you could call it a compulsion or addiction, I find crossdressing to me anyway is more of a necessity. Its a necessity that you are compelled to do as often as you can and I guess that is a form of addiction There are some of us that can go long periods of time in between dressing, for me its at least 3 times a week
    My Instagram xnicolex1988

It is who we are. I don't think any of us choose it, it is chosen for us, and to deny it in our selves would only make you unhappy!

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by faltenrock View Post
    It's part of my life, I couldn't live healthy without crossdressing, really not a hobby, it's necessary.
    Absolutely right!

Maybe it's all three, but for me it's also fun, stress relieving, a rush and a thrill. I was 18, the first time I dressed up for a party. My intention was to show off my legs in shiny pantyhose. I did that but the experience turned out to be so much more. Dressing became my hobby. Partying became my compulsion and I guess I got addicted to it.

Aspiring Member
    [QUOTE=NicoleScott;3854352If one (or more) descriptions doesn't apply, can't it just be ignored instead of taking offense?[/QUOTE]

Well said. There is no correct answer to the question and the opening post did not ask for one. She specifically said "how y'all classify ...." and "In my case I would call it ....." The intention appeared to be that there would be multiple answers. She also asked if others found their other interests to be distant seconds. The only answer to that appears to be the second reply by cdterri who skipped the first question.

Veronica

I think you are right in the sense there is a 'scale of cd' and intensity. I think sometimes just having a wardrobe and the pleasure of adding to it, knowing how to choose your own style. Learning to apply makeup etc. Knowing I can do it is sometimes enough. I appreciate the way women make the effort to present themselves well in public. Sometimes I find my most feminine moments are in my mind without cd. But, hey it is also very pleasurable to dress up once in while!

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar
    It's not any of those words. Tina is a part of my life. She simply IS. A hobby would be something that "we" do. LOL, actually, life is something "we" do.

I'm sure it could easily be described as an addictive and compulsive hobby, but it could also be described as other things as well. Meditation, coping mechanism and fetish are a couple terms that also come to mind. However, I think for some gurls including myself, it is much more than those things. It is just who we are on the inside, with a desire to look that way on the outside. Its simple math for me, since I was caught wearing a dress at 4.

Even real women approach beauty as a hobby, compulsion, and or addiction. It doesn't not still make them a woman.

Aspiring Member
    While it may mimic an addiction, hobby or compulsion it is actual our identity, just as much as our ethnic group, or our gender.

In one sense all humans are addicted to dopamine. Dopamine is the neurotransmitter that gives us the expectation of gratification, and is the driver that gets us going, and doing the things we enjoy. I believe that crossdressing not only releases dopamine in my brain, but also serotonin, oxytocin and other neurotransmitters which produce sensations of well-being, pleasure, sexual gratification, comfort, and bonding. It is just the way our brains are hardwired.

Im compovsivly addicted to what some may call a hobby. I like to think of it as my twin. beings I am a Gemini it is a part of me

California Dreamin Michaelasfun's Avatar
    Compulsive hobby is the term for me too...compulsive in that I feel the need building in me in between Michaela times, and hobby because I like to try and make little improvements each time I dress-
    Michaela

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice. - Rush

Silver Member
    It's me and I don't try to classify it or analyze it.

hob·by
    ˈhäbē/Submit
    noun
    an activity done regularly in one's leisure time for pleasure.
    "her hobbies are reading and gardening"
    synonyms: pastime, leisure activity, leisure pursuit

com·pul·sion
    kəmˈpəlSHən/Submit
    noun
    the action or state of forcing or being forced to do something; constraint.
    "the payment was made under compulsion"
    synonyms: obligation, constraint, coercion, duress, pressure, intimidation
    "he is under no compulsion to go"
    an irresistible urge to behave in a certain way, especially against one's conscious wishes.
    "he felt a compulsion to babble on about what had happened"
    synonyms: urge, impulse, need, desire, drive

ad·dic·tion
    əˈdikSH(ə)n/
    noun
    the fact or condition of being addicted to a particular substance, thing, or activity.
    "he committed the theft to finance his drug addiction"
    synonyms: dependency, dependence, habit, problem

As I read though this thread I was impressed by the varied and thoughtful responses. I found myself shifting my own thoughts as I read the posts. However, to really determine what my answer was I decided to return to the definitions. For me, I certain feel that crossdressing is "an activity done regularly in my leisure time for pleasure" fulfilling the definition of a hobby. Personally, I restrict my crossdressing to my leisure time. I agree with the comment that anyone who crossdresses must have some gender identity issues. However, this can be very variable. For me, crossdressing is an opportunity to feel more feminine but does not alter my strictly heterosexual orientation for physical intimacy. As for compulsion "an irresistible urge to behave in a certain way, especially against one's conscious wishes" is partially correct. I agree with the first part that my crossdressing is an irresistible urge but it is not against my conscious wish. Addiction has a strong negative connotation which I do not feel is appropriate for me or most (all?) crossdressers.

Therefore, I have to agree that I like the term compulsive hobby which soften the negative side of compulsion by making it clear that it is something that is done for pleasure.

I'd say its a hobby and its a compulsive. For me, its just that a man's body isn't as pretty or hot. So, the closest to being hot and sexy is to dress as a woman from my perspective. I don't know how others perceive themselves and this hobby but for sure that is the way I see it. What is everyone's take on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Dana44 View Post
    Sally, I would also add necessity as we don't do well not dong it.
    Personally, I think this is it for me.
    Sure, I've gone so long with out doing it, or even truly admitting the desire to wa a part of me, but in the end, this is a decision I made because it is what I feel I need to do to be myself, and none of the original terms seem to capture that as well as "necessity"

I more often tend to use the term "Possession."

Not in a 'demon come out!" type of way, but you know, in the Jungian sense that people do have a constantly, fluidly shifting 'locus of identity' and that who you are at any given moment is not necessarily who you were beofore you shaved your legs, even though both parts of you will freely say 'this is me.'
    And so we go, on with our lives...
    We know the Truth, but prefer Lies.
    Lies are simple, simple is Bliss.
    Why go against tradition, when we can admit defeat,
    Live in Decline, be the victim of our own design?

For me it's a combination of all 3. Sometimes I need to dress to help me cope with stress,when I let Tina out Ifeel calmer and centered. Tphere are other times I just want to dress but if I can't, no big deal. Sometimes I feel like I'm going to explode if I can't get something feminine on...