Thread: Happy Birthday to me (well, sort of)

Happy Birthday to me (well, sort of)

It was one year ago tomorrow that I finally summoned the courage to tell my wife that I was a crossdresser. Soon thereafter, Kandi was born and I started a remarkable year, simply the happiest in my life!

I have done so many things, now going out in public as Kandi at least twice a week. I have (all of this since February)acquired the necessary things to present myself (wigs, makeup, lingerie, a wardrobe); had numerous makeovers; done a few photo sessions; visited Erie, Cincinnati, Detroit and Philadelphia; checked into a hotel en femme; been the subject of the amazing Amanda Richards; had five bridal fittings; taken Beauty Classes with many GGs, being accepted as one of them; found myself a weekly volunteer job dressed completely en femme (where they value my contribution); gotten a *#$@!* speeding ticket en femme; made too many girlfriends to count; become a thrift store queen (I own, in less than a year, almost 40 dresses, purchased at an estimated average price of about $4); established real meaningful relationships with sales associates at many women’s clothing stores (always starting each visit with a big hug); walked around too many dress stores to count while trying on many different dresses, engaging with other customers; tried on a $1,300 dress at Nordstrom’s (no, I didn’t buy it!); met a few girls from the forum here; eaten out in too many restaurants to count; made real, meaningful friendships with so many people I would never have imagined possible; frequently attend monthly (and sometimes weekly) GNOs; had a couple of bra fittings; shopped for women’s clothing in drab and en femme, never hiding who the purchase was for; become a much better man, husband, friend and father; lost about 30 pounds and five inches off my previously wide waist; shed more hair than the average polar bear; become a fairly competitive runner in my AARP-eligible age group; actually won one 5K; become so very comfortable in my own skin; etc………

Sure, it took almost 53 years, but I got there by accepting and loving myself. I know who I am, I have developed my own sense of style and how I wish to present myself. I will admit, I’ve become quite photogenic (from the proper distance, like the Google Earth satellite), but I simply do not pass. No problem, every single opportunity I have had to go out as Kandi (and I know the time will come when this will not always true) has been a very positive experience. I crave the human connections that I am able to make when dressed, with both men and women alike, with those that share our struggles and those that will or cannot ever understand them. I spent two wonderful days in Erie with many of my sisters and actually spent about 25% of my time in male mode (the only one really do so during that time frame) and could not have felt more comfortable. I am now ME, and I now understand what that all means. Those relationships I mention allow me to accept and be accepted, support and be supported, complement, receive complements, love, laugh and learn.

I could go on and on, but I won’t bore you anymore, I’ve rambled on far too long already. I fool no one. But my joy, my happiness, my love of life (believe me, and some of you know, that love of life did not exist only a few years ago, I wanted nothing to do with anyone), my thankfulness, my great fortune to be married to a true gift from God, with two of the finest children anyone could ask for, all of this pours out of me every day, dressed or not. I am sooooooo lucky! I don't post this to brag (remember, this took my entire long, lifetime to figure out), I do so to maybe let some one else see what is possible.

God bless you all! Thank you for your support. I wanted to name some of the girls here that helped me both directly and indirectly by reading their posts, but I’m afraid of missing some one, so I thank you all!

Now what do I do?
    Visit Kandi's Land (http://www.kandis-land.com/) daily! Nothing but positive and uplifting posts!
    Pictures and stories of every time out: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131254150@N06/.

Neanderthal in nylons Julie Denier's Avatar
    Wow, what a year! Congratulations, Kandi - it's so great that you've been able to embrace this part of yourself and so lucky you have been embraced for doing so. I can only hope to experience a fraction of what you have in my own self-discovery. So glad to have you as a friend here on the forum. Rock on, girl!

Banned Read only
    Kandi, I remember those first email we traded. You have come a long way in a short time. The one thing that stands out is this: "...become a much better man, husband, friend and father..." I feel the same way

WOW! Awesome! There's no stopping you now.

Gold Member Read only Rachael Leigh's Avatar
    Pretty amazing year Kandi, I've enjoyed watching you go thru it on here. I too have had and interesting year but nothing like yours, hope you and your family have a wonderful holiday season
    Leigh

Silver Member
    What to do, what to do....

...I know!!! Come on back down to Cincy and go to the Christmas party with me! I'm sure you have the perfect dress! And I won't turn into a pumpkin at midnight this time!

Kandi, you've been a good friend and an inspiration all year. So happy birthday baby!

Happy Birthday (sort of) to you indeed Kandi. Having read the "Lucky girl!" descriptor above your avatar, allow me to pass along something I learned from one of my high school teachers many years ago. He always said he was a "lucky" fellow, but that the harder he worked, the luckier he got. It's an old adage I know, but you have no doubt put tons of thought, planning, effort, dedication, perseverance, sacrifice, patience, and just plain old hard work into getting to where you are today. Congratulations for achieving the level of joy and happiness you so richly deserve, and thank you for guiding and encouraging so many of us along the way. May you continue to enjoy many more years of being a lucky girl.

Karen

Platinum Member
    Hi Kandi, That was an amazing year, You have surely came a long way. ~~.....
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

How did that happen ? Samantha2015's Avatar
    Happy Birthday Kandi. You continue to be an inspiration and a great friend.
    I don't know what you need to do next. Whatever it is I'm sure you'll be great.
    Hugs
    Samantha

That is a lot.

So good, I believe that will take for myself a 100 years to achieve half of that

Happy birthday Kotton Kandi, onward and upward! Hugs, Michelle

Kandi, are you sure it's been just a year for all that activity? I was honored to be just a small part of your first year and share in your enthusiasm. See you again in March at Keystone for my real birthday! Rock on Sis!
    Be yourself. Everyone else is taken!

That's awesome! Happy birthday Kandi. And many more!
    Stay inspired
    Amy

That is amazing Kandi. You just described (most of ) every crossdressers dream. And it sounds like you did it on your terms. I know I'm on the other side of the timeline as far as crossdressing goes, but I aspire to accomplish half of the things you just listed. Good on you, and happy birthday!

Aspiring Member
    Great,great job kandi,keep it up

Happy birthday

Well congrats on finding your true self and loving it.
    Angie

Happy Birthday Kandi You really are an amazing person.
    I have so enjoyed seeing you progress and it truly is inspiring. Well I could could go on singing your praises, but I think you already know I'm a fan. So instead I will ask: So what are your plans in this next year to top this last one?
    Cheers Sister and keep up the good fight....or shopping, which ever.
    When I am still and quiet, people who do not know me think, Oh how cute she's shy.
    People who do know me think, OMG RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Girls will be boys and boys will be girls It's a mixed up muddled up shook up world except for Lola