Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: holding doors

Banned Read only
    Marshalynn,
    Holding doors is just good manners, to me gender doesn't come into it !
    A man or a woman struggling with a pushchair, or loaded down with shopping bags, you just hope the example rubs off and they would do the same for you.

Quote Originally Posted by debstar View Post
    Once a guy sarcasticly said "thanks jeeves" that annoyed me a little.
    I had a guy do that to me, too; I responded, 'No problem, always glad to help the handicapped'. Left him looking quite puzzled.

I hold doors for everyone. The best fun is when a woman walks through a few steps in front of me and lets the door go hard, and I let it hit my hand loudly, and at the same time, make some kind of OOF! noise, implying that it hit me, then grab my nose. Embarrasses the crap out of them, especially if I happen to have two packages (not fragile) and I can drop one. The security guard where I used to work for a long time always got a laugh when I managed to catch one of the ladies with this. I can only hope that at some point, they wouldn't do it to someone else who WAS vulnerable to getting hit by a door that she could have let slam in their face.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Wow! The first time I held the door for a middle aged man. He hesitated and looked me in the eye. Uh oh, I forgot I'm a woman! Doh!

Next time, I looked at a guy and he held the door for me! That just tickled me pink! How cool was that? I know it's happened to many, but it was the first time for me.

Silver Member
    It is a common courtesy that many perform regardless of gender. You should not make any assumptions because someone is kind except that they are kind.

Silver Member
    Several years ago I was casually dressed in jeans and a woman's polo shirt. I had a bra on and a girls hat. I was walking into a store in front of a couple. I opened the door and went to hold it open for them. As the woman passed by she said, thank you but he should hold it for both of us. We laughed as he tried to grab it as it closed so it didn't hit me.

I think it's just common curtesy regardless of gender. I will keep the door open for anyone who is directly behind me regardless, and I expect women to do the same. If someone doesn't like it, then I guess they just prefer having the door slammed in their face
    Gurlz they wanna have fu'hun. Oh gurlz just wanna have fu'hun x

Silver Member
    Odd how this came back up here today. I always hold doors for others, it is courteous and polite and it makes both my day and theirs a bit brighter. I do it for anyone and I apologize if I miss a chance and notice it late. Yesterday I was walking into a high school and a mother daughter were leaving and 3 boys were just behind me. I held the door for those behind me because of the timing and then noticed that they failed to do the same. Now mind you, they came through the door while the 2 exiting waited, just really rude. I almost made a comment, but I figured if mom and dad didn't teach them this, I wasn't going to be able to.
    Sort of sad that rude behavior is now more the norm.
    Sorry for the rant.

Platinum Member
    Hi Marsha Lynn, When I was about 5years old I dropped the door on a woman and my Mother raped me a good one
    and to this day I always hold the door and not drop it on any one.

I am a graduate of the school of Hard Knox and it has served me well. ~~......
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Banned Read only
    I've always figured it is nothing more than an act of courtesy. I hold doors for able bodied men and women as well as the infirm and aged and with small kids. I will even wait for someone needing help rather than just letting it close in his or her face. As a six foot male it is remarkable the number of times I am approached by women in the grocery stores for assistance in getting something off a top shelf. Sometimes I watch them eyeing the product and trying to figure out "How the heck do I get that two liter bottle of pop off the top shelf without clunking my head?" I'll go up and ask if they need assistance. It's those little acts of kindness that counteract the self absorbed people of society.

Full Geek Status Adriana Moretti's Avatar
    I remember the first time a man held a door for me, it was at a cd/tg event ...and I just melted, I was like wow....this guy is a perfect gentleman, later on that evening we met again at an after party....thats when i learned he was FTM ....to this day we are still friends....

Full time NY state girl MarciManseau's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarasometimes View Post
    Odd how this came back up here today. I always hold doors for others, it is courteous and polite and it makes both my day and theirs a bit brighter. I do it for anyone and I apologize if I miss a chance and notice it late. Yesterday I was walking into a high school and a mother daughter were leaving and 3 boys were just behind me. I held the door for those behind me because of the timing and then noticed that they failed to do the same. Now mind you, they came through the door while the 2 exiting waited, just really rude. I almost made a comment, but I figured if mom and dad didn't teach them this, I wasn't going to be able to.
    Sort of sad that rude behavior is now more the norm.
    Sorry for the rant.
    It's quite the opposite where we live. Everyone here holds the door for others, regardless of gender or age. If someone is approaching a door they are holding from like 10-15 feet away, usually they will stand and wait. It's soooo nice And once inside a store, almost everyone nods or says hi. Not at all like in the big cities I've lived in.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] My GG GF Julie and I send you all hugs I'm on the right in my avatar, Julie is on the left.

Silver Member
    I don't go out in female mode, but I always hold doors for anyone. I always look behind me to see if anyone is coming, and will keep the door open for them. They always thanks me. I have a little fun, too, sometimes. If I know the door is automatic, and I see a woman approaching it at about the same time as me, I will move ahead of her and say, "let me open it for you." It opens, of course, and she will laugh and thank me.
    Years ago, I was going into an office building, and a smartly dressed young woman was close behind, so I opened the door for her. She curtly said, "you don't have to hold the door open for me because I'm a woman." I replied, "You are right; I did it because I'm a gentleman." The look on her face was priceless!

Full time NY state girl MarciManseau's Avatar
    Sounds like you're both a gentleman and a lady What a sweet combination. Thanks for making me smile. If you were here, I'd give you a grateful hug.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] My GG GF Julie and I send you all hugs I'm on the right in my avatar, Julie is on the left.

I wonder where these legendary women who get mad when someone holds the door open for them are. I'm lucky enough to have never encountered one, and I hope it stays that way, though it would be fun to drop the "because I'm a gentleman" line on them. (If I were wearing a skirt or other obviously feminine clothes at the time, even better; their head might explode.)

I'll hold the door open for anyone if they're in range, and I've had men, women, and probably even a couple non-binary people do the same for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MissDanielle View Post
    If there's one thing I hate more than anything in the world: it's living a lie. And clowns.

I've had the door held for me as a guy but then it's pretty common here in Canada regardless of gender

I was raised that a gentleman always holds the door open for a lady,

My wife told me that the day I stop holding or opening doors for her the honeymoon is over.

After 33 1/2 years of marriage I'm still holding doors open for my wife and other women. I hold them open for others as well out of courtesy.

I have no problem with a man holding the door open for me when enfemme.

Unfortunately I don't recall it ever happening so I obviously need to get out more!

Silver Member
    I always hold doors for everyone. If I know the door is automatic and someone is approaching it with me, I'll go ahead and say,'I'll open it for you." That almost gets a chuckle or laugh especially from women.
    Years ago when I was still working, I was ready to enter a fancy office building, and noticed that a smartly dressed woman was right behind me. I pulled the door open and stepped aside for her to enter first. Rather snottily she said, "you don't have to do that because I'm a woman!" I replied," You are right. I did it because I'm a gentleman." The look on her face was priceless.

it's a common courtesy among civilised people, to hold a door open for any gender/age
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJFyz73MRcg
    I used to believe this, now I'm in the company of many tiggers. A tigger does not wonder why she is a tigger, she just is a tigger.

thanks to krististeph: tigger = TG'er .. T-I-GG-er

Door-holding etiquette is tricky and rather fluid.

A male accompanied by a female opens the door, stands aside, and allows the female to precede him.

A male who is part of the group opens the door, stands aside, and allows the entire group to enter.

A female accompanied by another female opens the door. passes through, but holds the door long enough for the woman behind her to take control of it.

A group of females may follow the previous procedure repeatedly or one may step aside and hold the door for the others.

All of the above rules are subject to modification as circumstances require!

Trivia question: What is one situation where the male is supposed to precede the female through the door?

Quote Originally Posted by pamela7 View Post
    it's a common courtesy among civilized people, to hold a door open for any gender/age
    Completely agree! There will be a few women (when I'm guy mode which is almost always) at work who are like, you don't have to do that, or grab the door so I can precede them - but I do it anyway just the way I was raised

I'll be honest, like so many other here I've always held doors for others -- it's simple politeness. But there's a qualitative difference between a door being held from general politeness and a door being opened and held by a man to accommodate a lady. You can feel it in their manner. And when I'm out and dressed if I get that vibe off someone I do feel a little uncomfortable. Like I'm accepting an unearned privilege. It's just my personal, internal reaction. However I also feel it would be ungracious bordering on rude not to accept that man's gift of politeness. The devil is so often in the details.

As a child and young adult, I was brought up to show respect to others and one was to open a door for ladies and those who were elderly or disabled. This included gentlemen as well. Very often I have a friendly debate with younger and also older ladies about holding doors open. As a I am now a senior, I meet some very polite young ladies who insist on holding doors open for me Sometimes we have a friendly banter of "After you" "No! after you" "No! No! after you" etc! This reminds me of the Laurel and Hardie sketch when after several lines like that they both went together through the door and got stuck in the opening!!

Quote Originally Posted by Eryn View Post

Trivia question: What is one situation where the male is supposed to precede the female through the door?
    booby traps? Sandworms? Haunted houses?
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

no, it's "into the church" - for the marriage
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJFyz73MRcg
    I used to believe this, now I'm in the company of many tiggers. A tigger does not wonder why she is a tigger, she just is a tigger.

thanks to krististeph: tigger = TG'er .. T-I-GG-er

Quote Originally Posted by Lorileah View Post
    booby traps? Sandworms? Haunted houses?
    Elevators!

I suppose the logic is that the man should ascertain the safety of the elevator before allowing the woman to enter. It is, of course, a vestigial rule, much as having the man walk between the woman and the street.

Pamela had one that I hadn't considered, but in the church the man and woman aren't together until after the ceremony.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]