Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electrolysis and HRT Question

Electrolysis and HRT Question

I began electrolysis on my beard about a year ago and am now about 50 hrs into the process. Results are not what I had hoped for - my upper lip is only about half done and I've had a few hours on lower lip and chin so not much to show there either. I was of the understanding that 100 to 200 hrs of electrolysis should clear an average face. So I reasoned that at 50 hrs a year I could be nearing the end of the process after 4 years if it took the full 200 hrs to clear my face.
    I am just in the process of going through my Hormone Readiness Assessment ( a requirement here in Canada before an appt with an endocrinologist can be arranged ). I am hoping that I can start hormones sometime before the end of the year. My question to you ladies is how long did it take you for your electrolysis to be completed and how long from the time that you started hormones until there were enough changes to start living fulltime as a woman? All input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Chelsea,

I can only offer what I know about my treatment here in the US, I started out with laser treatments, I now have four down and 2 to go before finishing up, only to be continued with a combination of electrolysis and possibly more laser where it can be applied in lieu of electrolysis.

That said I have been advised that 100 to 200 hours of electrolysis will likely still be necessary to complete the job.

Sounds like you and I are on parallel paths. Long road ahead of us, so enjoy it the ride.

Sorry I cannot offer any experiences on the hormones.
    Way too Girly ! I couldn't smell the smoke, and now I'll watch the flames

Out on Parole ......Woo Hoo

100-200 may be a low estimate... I have seen other girls here mention 300-400+ and 4-5 years - I'm sure much depends on your density/age/skill of your electrolysist

This is hearsay as they call it - I'm only on my 5th or 5th session

Silver Member
    (I am not technically a TS, but I am both a client and practitioner of electrolysis.)

The other problem is that the 100-200 hours often quoted is a very rough estimate, and depends on so many factors, especially both the density of the hair and how distorted it, as well as former methods of hair removal (and other factors as well.) If you are very unhappy, you could try another electrologist if there is one available near you (not sure where in Canada you are, but if you are in Ontario there are lots of great folks available there with experience with male facial hair.) Remember though, it will take at least a year for all the hair to cycle in once, so you won't see a huge improvement for at least a year (everyone takes a bit more or less for it all to cycle in.)

Upper lips take the longest by a long shot, and are usually the last area to be finished up. I have had mine fully cleared about 30 times and I still have hair on it, nowhere near as bad as it was, but it is only about 50% done. Granted, I have the beard from hell, one of the worst my electrologist has ever seen. Yours is probably not nearly as bad, but takes a lot of time, especially on the upper lip.
    Last edited by Vickie_CDTV; 02-12-2016 at 09:21 PM.

Hi Chelsea, good question. I think it's different for everyone regarding electrolysis. For some it may take up to 200 hours, but for others like me it took 2 hours a week for about 3 years, and then 2 hours a month for a year and now I have it done only an hour per month! So .... I don't know the math but that's a lot of hours!! And money!! Now I am at the point where I only need to shave - just a few hairs - once a month. And I will see my "Zapper lady" as I like to call her, in a couple of months, taking a short break from it for the winter. My zapping is almost done! She says just a few more visits. I am so happy to be at this stage!

About the other part of your question, I have been on HRT for 6 years now and I love the all the changes! It only took a few months to see and feel some results from the hormones. I would say... probably about 6-8 months into HRT I started to live fulltime as a woman. It doesn't take long at all. One thing I can tell you is to work on your voice! It has taken me 6 years to get here and I still am not completely thrilled with my voice. It's not too bad though. I pass everywhere I go so it's ok. but It did take a long time to get a halfway decent voice. If you need help with that, there are a ton of videos on Youtube to give you some pointers.

Good luck, hun. I hope I have answered your questions.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter
    and those who matter don't mind" - Dr. Seuss

I'm curious about your comment about the hormone readiness asses. In Canada a Dr. can prescribe on informed consent. Some ask for therapist letter, but readiness is determined by the Dr. or therapist, and in my case was one hour.
    If you and your Dr. feel you are ready, you can walk out with a 'scrip the same day.

Any Dr. can refer you to an Endo any time, you don't have to wait for any amount of therapy. At your first appt. the Dr. Will tell you if any therapist/ letter is required.

I started full time a few weeks before my first Endo appointment. It's all about when YOU are ready.

Good luck with the hair removal. It's a bitch. Hang in there.
    Last edited by I Am Paula; 02-12-2016 at 09:57 PM.

Thank you so much for that information Lauri. I know that just recently I was told by another lady in a ts support group that I have been attending, that she had also started with laser and that this was a permanent solution for her. I had always thought that hair removed by laser grew back and was not permanent. So I appear to have been misinformed there as it certainly worked well for her.

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

Hi Paula thanks for your comments. From what I have been told by several ladies here who are now post op is that I am required to get the Hormone Readiness Assessment from a therapist who is licensed to provide this standard assessment. I have already had a one hour session for this and am expected to have two more hours to go through a standard range of questions. The therapist will then write a report which I can then give to an endocrinologist to get an appointment. This is apparently how it works here. Unfortunately that is all I can tell you at this time because that is as far into the process that I am.

I did about 300 hours over 5 years. I went full time after 3 years or so. There was an overlap of electrolysis and living full-time.
    It's Frances with an E, like Frances Farmer. Francis is a man's name.

Jane, Vicki and Kalista thank you so much for the thorough and thoughtful input. I really appreciate it and am encouraged at the news that the upper lip is the most difficult area of the face to clear. Perhaps there is hope for me yet. Thanks so much

I've done 2 hours a week for over three years. The caveat is that as my face was cleared we moved on to other areas like the back of my neck, upper and lower back, buttocks, etc.

Electrolysis takes time. My electrologist worked all over my face so I didn't see a huge change at first. As time went on, things got sparser and sparser until now I can go weeks without attention. I probably have less facial hair then most GGs!

Don't let electrolysis be put off for anything! It takes the longest, but it also is instrumental to helping you live a normal life in your desired gender.

Gold Member
    The timing of electrolysis and hormones relative to going full time is entirely up to you. You will find a broad range of answers if you ask everyone.

But I do believe that electrolysis can easily go on and on. One of the problems is that it takes a lot of hours for most. The other is that as you get far along, you have to spread appointments out so that you actually get far enough into a growth cycle to have something to zap. Also, what are is last to have hair to remove is probably another variable area. My upper lip only has a small amount of hairs when I go in, but my lower lip to my chin is by far the heavier area.

Chelsea Chantelle- I have no doubt that the 'rules' change from Dr. to Dr., and from place to place. I arranged my own Endo appt. and showed up completely female. The Dr. asked how long I had been presenting female, and I said since 1979 (part time-often). Hormones were kind of a slam dunk at that point. He asked me to see his recommended therapist for one hour, who after about 40 minutes told me she would call my Dr. with a thumbs up. I then asked her to make a note that as of that day I was starting my RLE, and her response was 'Honey, you finished RLE a long time ago.'
    The Church St. Medical Centre, in downtown Toronto, long an advocate of informed consent, will prescribe on a first visit. My endo here in Guelph is the go to guy for the nieghbouring trans community, and firmly believes hormones are proven therapy, and those who need them, usually need them quickly. Adult trans folk usually wait until there is a crisis, or near crisis before seeing a professional.
    Now, on the other hand, I know girls who had had to jump thru hoops for months, and practically beg their Endo for a scrip. They have endured a year or more of therapy. Most of these girls seemed to be suffering from all kinds of other mental/emotional issues, so I'm certain this was for the better. One girl was full time one week, wanted to be a platypus the next, and thought she was the Messiah the next. Others have just had doubts that were serious enough to explore.
    My opinion is that every doctor, and every therapist has to look at the individual, and decide.
    Also, if you are going the Camh route, it will be much slower. They dot their I's, and cross their T's in triplicate, and the result...well...it gets you there, via the slowest possible route. Get your Dr. to put you on the Camh SRS waiting list, but do everything else privately. Which is the way even Camh is heading. Hormones are very cheap.
    Once again, good luck on this incredible journey. It sounds like those taking care of you are doing just fine.
    Last edited by I Am Paula; 02-13-2016 at 10:54 AM.

I've made it and love it Jennifer-GWN's Avatar
    Love hate relationship with electro. Hard to count the number of hours I have in. Get as much done before hrt as you can. Take advantage of laser if your hair permits as electro is a long haul. I'm still on ~4+ hours a week when I'm in town. Most of my hair was white so no laser however we are starting to see this mystery dark ones starting to appear suddenly which is giving me cause to think a few laser sessions might be an option.

Either way... Get this crap off my face.

On the hrt front I'd be interested where in Canada you are where they are making you do the hoop jump?

Have fun... Jennifer
    I am who I am... I'm happy...I mean truly to the bone happy...and at peace with myself for the first time ever. I'm confident and content as the woman I am.

My partner and I started HRT and electrolysis at the same time. She had no real body hair so good, I had very little but the legs. We only had small amounts of facial hair, mostly chin and upper lip. My upper lip was definitely the worst. Sinuses would back up and I would start sneezing like crazy. Being crafty she had bought a used machine. We were able to work on each other. She eventually went to a school in Atlanta GA, so she could get certified. Saved a small fortune that way. Plus she was able to make extra money working on a few other TSs at the time.

I'm starting HRT and laser this week. I have a groupon for six sessions and we'll see what that takes care of before looking at electro options.
    I'm a nice Jewish girl.

I'm not a girl, Not yet a woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Georgette_USA View Post
    ...Being crafty she had bought a used machine. We were able to work on each other. She eventually went to a school in Atlanta GA, so she could get certified. Saved a small fortune that way. Plus she was able to make extra money working on a few other TSs at the time.
    I've always wondered if any of us took this approach! Certainly a cost-effective solution to the problem.

Used machines are out there, and for reasonable prices as electrologists move up to newer/fancier models. If I had found someone to do this with it would have saved me the price of a nice car! I'd definitely want to get some serious training first!

I'm at about 170 hrs and not far from being done, but I know some who needed up to 500 hrs. Varies with the individual. 50 hours isn't much time. At best only about 1/4 into it.

I began with weekly sessions of around 5 hrs and they slowly tapered off. Once I was at 2 hrs to clear the face I moved to every 2 weeks, then finally moved to monthly or longer. So far at almost 3 years.

my electrolysis tech recommended to be on hormones as soon as possible. I recommend to begin as soon as you can because it takes a long time.
    Last edited by Angela Campbell; 02-13-2016 at 09:16 PM.
    All I ever wanted was to be a girl. Is that really asking too much?

Silver Member
    I haven't asked lately, but I think i'm about at 140 hours. All on my face. I stopped shaving 2-3 months ago, but still see a lot of growth in between sessions. (Even that, however, is pretty much invisible at social distances.) I go for 2 hour sessions weekly, 100% flash (thermolysis). My tech has broached going to 1 hour per week, but I think I would prefer a few more hours first. 50 hours is very little. I'm expecting at least 160-170 hours to get my skin to what I would like it to be between sessions. And then an hour a week for who knows how long to keep it that way. My tech described my facial hair at the start as average coverage, slightly less than average density.

Judge your progress by how much of your face is cleared in each session.

After about my 3rd session i have had my entire face cleared every session no matter how long it takes.
    All I ever wanted was to be a girl. Is that really asking too much?

Silver Member
    Ok ... per hour, then.

Silver Member
    The hair that remains toward the end can be either new or returning hair growth (coming back from laser, or dormant follicles stimulated to start growing hair), but are usually "original" hair that happens to be the most difficult to treat. That remaining hair tends to be thin and/or distorted or possibly at a difficult angle, which is why there is that long running short treatment time period towards the end. It takes much longer when you have to start resorting to non-thermolysis modalities, different techniques using thermolysis (multiple insertions/multiple pulses), or have to contort your hands and arms to get those at difficult angles. You can get incredibly high hair/insertion counts when one starts, toward the end it drops off quite a bit even as the total treatment time stays the same.
    Last edited by Vickie_CDTV; 02-14-2016 at 11:17 PM.

Depending on your age, facial hair is not just on men. My mother starting in her 50s-60s had some on her chin, but she just plucked or a little shave. Plus coming from a Mediterranean background knew gals that had dark upper lip hair. I found I had the same, so did the same. But this year I said what the hell, and had two 1/2 hour sessions to get rid of that. Took about a month between to let them grow out.

Wait what? You've had zero estrogen in your body for 20 years but you have so little facial hair that it takes a month for the hairs to get long enough, and you've cleared them in an hour of electrolysis?

You are definitely unique.
    Quote Originally Posted by STACY B
    At least there is social acceptance in being a drunk in our world. Hell I was good at it too.
    Melissa Hobbes
    www.badtranny.com

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Campbell View Post
    After about my 3rd session i have had my entire face cleared every session no matter how long it takes.
    This is excellent, but not typical. It took me a lot of 2-hour sessions to achieve a full facial clearing, and that was only the start of an even longer period of follicular whack-a-mole.

Melissa
    I am really not sure if you are asking questions or just making statements. Never said I have zero estrogen, have NEVER had any blood tests for estrogen levels. Only recently had test for testosterone. Those results were 39 ng/dL. Which with what I have read online, female range is 15-70. I think the male range is 300-1000.

I had all facial hair removed about 38-39 years ago. I never had a lot or heavy facial hair before, maybe my Testosterone levels have always been low. Never had much of a physical male libido.

Yes it has been 30 years with NO HRT. She took two 1/2 hour sessions. First was to git rid of the heavy/coarse/dark ones, only took a week or two for those to grow out first. I let it go for a month, and she did another 1/2 hour to get the odd ones, and the upper lip ones. Now after another month or so, I can see about a dozen hairs or so. May have to trim and see if more develop.

Not sure of the unique, is that good or bad, as my partner was about the same.

These are some of the reasons I am looking for other long time, over 35 years, Post-Op TSs to compare notes with.