Thread: Anyone cathc Larry King last night

Anyone cathc Larry King last night

As I was channel surfing, last night I landed on CNN and saw that Larry King had Felicity Huffman on talking about Transamerica, and actually the entire show was about transgenderism. He had a TS Nascar driver on as well as some other MtF and FtM guests. Very interesting, it was a very positive show.
    Andi

I was wondering how long b4 someone brought it up.

Ho-Hum. (At least for us) I am sure others not in the TG community found the poster girls interesting. (I know I am a sarcastic b*****d)

Overall it was a positive presentation though and that is better than nothing. I just wished he had given the psychologist as much time as he gave Felicity Huffman.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.transgenderlondon.com

Venus and Mars are not aligned; Good thing.
    Where are all the rumballs?
    I may not soar with eagles, but then weasels dont get sucked into jet engines...

Overall it seemed a positive program and Felicity was a pleasure to watch and listen to. I felt that all the guests were credible and had something insightful to share. Larry King is not known for an agressive interviewing style but that would not have been welcomed by me, relating to this subject, anyway. If anyone noticed, he did ask some really dumb questions and couldn't keep his pronouns correct. This might be expected of anyone not as familiar with the lifestyle as those in this forum, but you would think he could have been briefed by his producers to the extent that he didn't come off as a total dumb***.

GG SO of maryjanecapri StevieStevie's Avatar
    We caught it about half way through. Kudos to them all, well except for Larry, who didn't seem very well informed.

Quote Originally Posted by Reana
    If anyone noticed, he did ask some really dumb questions and couldn't keep his pronouns correct.
    I noticed, but that's not a bad thing- since the people with whom we most need to connect are the ones who ask the dumbest questions - maybe he was briefed.

On the program as a whole, I found it uninspired and a little detached. Maybe it's the detachment that Reana was reacting to in part. Larry is sometimes very engaged in his guests - here it was more difficult for him and he really had very little empathy, as far as I could tell.

That's not a negative, I hope, just a description. The program came close to saying, as a whole, and in a rather detached, uninspired way "Hey, this lifestyle is one that people choose and that's okay - accept them!" I like that message.

It was a good program. It is impossible to do the subject justice in less than an hour and have eight different people on.

You'll also notice that it was more about the Transsexual aspect of Transgenderism.

Give a false impression that the rest of us don't belong under the Transgender umbrella. And gives the false impression that if we say we are transgendered, we mean transsexual, so the first question will be, "When are you having the surgery?"

Note that there is an online transcript of the show http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIP...15/lkl.01.html
    DonnaT

Proud Wife of Danielle65 Anita Mae GG's Avatar
    Massachusetts (on the Connecticut border)
    We started to watch it but got bored with the Felicity part of it...changed the channel. BUT who was the NASCAR driver....details.......we love NASCAR, now I'm curious....

To dream of the person you would like to be is a waste of the person you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy Marie GG
    We started to watch it but got bored with the Felicity part of it...changed the channel. BUT who was the NASCAR driver....details.......we love NASCAR, now I'm curious....
    When he drove as male it was JT Hayes. Now she is known as Terri O'Connell.

I've never heard of JT Hayes before.

I thought it was OK, too. Not great, but OK. Larry was kind of dimwitted at times, but the guests were at least a good showcase for the idea that we are not all psycho sex maniacs (not that there is anything wrong with that, of course ).

And Dolly Parton (I've heard that, at one time, at least, one of her bus/truck drivers was TS) and Willie Nelson writing and singing about "alternative" lifestyles surely can't hurt, can it?

"Even the longest journey is taken one step at a time", or words to that effect.

Hi Girls
    I for one like to see any information in the public that shows us in a good light. I think this movie will go a long way to at least get people thinking of us and maybe asking some good questions. We are on our way to being accepted. LOL Wilma
    wilma
    me and my "pinkcheeks"

Awww Larrry, I know his 'style' so the confusion with it all was pretty much on par with how he is with most guests. But yeah, some of the questions were a bit dumb. Wonder if he was dumbing them down for the audience at home or was really that confounded by it all.??

The Nascar girl looked very nice adn Jenny was as always, smart and classy. The ftm's were also very interesting.

As someone said, anytime this subject is treaeted with the dignity it deserves I am all for it. I did not feel it was sensationlized.

Who caught the question from Larry about "cutting it off" relating to SRS? Did anyone cringe? lol

BTW, I too thought the NASCAR girl looked nice and was very happy with not only Dolly Parton's look but her attitude as well.
    Last edited by Reana; 02-16-2006 at 07:31 PM.

I watched it. It did seem as if Larry really wasn't all that enthused about it. But all and all it was positive.

The comments at lunchtime at work weren't very positive though. "Those trans people were on Larry king last night" and then the usual derogatory remarks set in. But I was suprised someone else watched the whole thing.

Dolly is a sweetheart. The song lyrics are great. She recently did a Crossroads on CMT with Melissa Etheridge. She had a few nice things to say about people with alternative sexual and gender identities.

The Willie Nelson song totally blew me away. I never would have thought that Willie would sing about gay cowboys. The one line "inside every cowboy there's a lady who would love to slip out" is pretty good. Tends to blur sexual orientation with gender though. I read in an AP article that one of his managers is gay, and Willie is totally fine with it.

All and All, anytime we get positive main stream press, its a good thing.
    Sarah

"So Often times it happens, that we live our lives in chains, and we never even know we have the key" The Eagles

I saw the Larry King show featuring Felicity Huffman from TransAmerica and both M-F and F-M Transexuals in different stages.

I also enjoyed the psychologist and Dolly Parton.

I hope Felicity and Dolly both win big at the oscars as does TransAmerica.

I was amazed how beautiful the former Nascar driver was. She really is a woman after all.

I respect them all for their courage.

I am a M-F cd'er but could understand their plight. I guess I understand more from the perspective of M-F.

I still find it hard understanding why a girl would want to be a guy.

emmi

Damn. Missed it.

Any money found in the laundry is MINE!

"This is no social crisis....this is me having fun!"

www.flickr.com/photos/tgmarla/