Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Did you keep your surname?

I only changed my first name. I was going to change my middle name also but when the subject came up my son who also shares my middle name got quite upset at the thought of me changing it so I decided to keep it.

As for my surname, I kept it as I am still married. Hopefully that never changes but if it does I would seriously consider changing it to distance myself from an unaccepting family...

Gone to live my life
    I kept my first and middle name as is with the exception of spelling on the first name (pronounced the same way in either gender spelling) . . . surprisingly my middle name (grandfather's name) is Leslie so Marcelle Leslie vice Marcel Leslie. WRT to the surname I had no reason to change it so it stayed.

Cheers

Marcelle
    Last edited by Marcelle; 01-16-2016 at 08:03 AM.

Aspiring Member
    Haven't legally changed anything yet but current plan is to keep my surname out of respect for my parents.

Untitled
    I just simply feminised by forename, dropped my middle name and changed my title to Ms. I honestly never gave a thought to changing my surname.
    Listen carefully to what is said, quite often you can hear what is not being said

The joy of correcting a mistake can bring pain to another

I kept my surname and changed my Christian name. Keeping a surname seems a popular choice;

When your name is androgynous like mine, there is little incentive to change it.

I'm often asked if my name is short for Valentine, and twice was asked if it is short for Valerie. I tell them it's short for Valuable.

I considered changing my masculine middle name, but I very seldom use it.

Best wishes
    MsVal

I kept my surname and moved my first name to my middle name, as my original given name is sometimes given to girls and my prior middle name was uncompromisingly masculine. Only my first name is entirely new and even it was chosen with family connections and some subtle familiarity for people who knew me before.

I wasn't trying to create a complete disconnect with my past. I wanted to preserve family connections, friendships, and planned to be unapologetic about my marriage to another woman.
    ~ Kimberly

“To escape criticism do nothing, say nothing, be nothing." - Elbert Hubbard

I kept my last name as I'm proud of it and our family. In the state of Oregon, all the people with my last name are related to me, so it's not a common name either.

I thought long and hard about what my first name should be and I decided to use the name I thought I would've had if I'd been named as a girl at birth. I thought of different names but they just weren't me and didn't really fit.
    For my middle name I added an e at the end and it's totally what my mother would've used (youngest of 11, so I have an idea of her style).

I've also asked my sisters and brothers what they think our mother would've named me, but no one knows how she named any of us. I wish I could ask her but she's been gone for almost 30 years and my dad for over 40 years.

So I am Donna Louise.

I kept mine. I'm kinda used to it, and not stealth.

I kept my last name as I have a wife and children. Suzanne was somewhere deep in my soul. I have no explanation other than I just knew that was my name. I later decided Nicole was a good fit for a middle name. Suzanne Nicole Ford, I love saying it!
    Suzanne

Changed all three due to previous mispronounced last name. My middle name was in honor of my Grandmother.

I have been thinking of this for quite sometime. It took me a long time to pick my name I have on here and this is the name I use when out. But I like my name given too. I would keep my last name. I am thinking hard on changing it to
    Cynthia B Howard looking at now it just looks right. Thanks for a personal but fun post love cindy

Il changed my first and middle. My first is now just the initial, due to the extreme uproar of using my late daughter's name for mine. My middle is an adaptation of my first. Legally, I am now E. Bobbi Gruetter.

Bobbi

changing first and middle names. Last name is staying the same. It was never a cause of any dyphoria and I want to keep the attachment to my children, I don't want them to think I am totally abandoning them by changing my last name. My middle name is the same as one of the middle names of my sister (she has two). So it's Erin Elizabeth for me.
    Seize the day. Life is short, and you're dead a long time...just sayin' ...

thank you everyone for responding, this has helped. I looked up the most common baby names in the year of my birth, and my new first names both fit near the top. I'll keep my surname for now. Feels appropriate.

Pamela Susan Saunders
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJFyz73MRcg
    I used to believe this, now I'm in the company of many tiggers. A tigger does not wonder why she is a tigger, she just is a tigger.

thanks to krististeph: tigger = TG'er .. T-I-GG-er

I just feminized my first and middle, kept surname. It is a very uncommon surname, on Google searches are all my small family. My name is unique on Facebook. There are actually 2 on Facebook both mine.

Georgette Paula

I haven't legally changed my name yet. I'm torn between keeping my last name out of respect for my family and changing my name to something else - should I change my name before Cody and I get married. When Cody and I get married, I plan on taking his last name for sure.
    I've finally mastered the art of making salads. My favorite is a delicious Mediterranean salad.

I had many long discussions with my mom about this. I chose not to use my family name out of respect for others with the name. ( my kids unfortunately) I chose my grandmother's maiden name. As for the first name, there was no way I was going to feminize my man name, that was a life I planned to leave behind.

So my mother had named me Michael after the angel. With a lot of discussion we came up with Angela. We both liked it and it was in the thoughts of what my mother originally wanted.
    All I ever wanted was to be a girl. Is that really asking too much?

I had originally planned on changing everything but am now planning on changing just my first and middle names.
    Lori

Always Stephanie Now! Stephanie Sometimes's Avatar
    Not that far along yet but my plan is to change my first name from Stephen to Stephanie and keep my last name. This has been easy for some of my friends to accommodate already. Not sure yet on changing my middle name as it is a male name but it was my grandfathers first name and I would miss that family connection.
    "Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing." Helen Keller (The Open Door)

"I give her my heart but she wanted my soul...But don't think twice, it's all right" Bob Dylan (1963)

I changed both my first name and last name along with dropping my middle name so to start fresh. My first name I used for over 40 years and my last name took me a month to figure out which was done one month prior to gender reassignment surgery which is when all my legal documents where done so going through TSA I had a female name and F designation on my driver license.
    “When it comes to life, we spin our own yarn, and where we end up is really, in fact, where we always intended to be.” ― Julia Glass

Hope you don't mind me replying to this?

I would have not liked it if Nigella had wanted to change her surname, for one where would that have left me and our daughter. Can I ask how does Welshgirl feel about this?
    Sandra
    Administrator

I always used to rib you about your legs can't anymore. R.I.P Sexy Legs

R.I.P Rianna

Hi Sandra,
    I'll ask her to reply. We're still in first name discussions every so often. A surname change would be more emotionally impacting on my children from my first marriage than on welshgirl, though, in my opinion, as it would only change if we both chose to change ours together. Administrative nightmares seem to come with name changes in our bureaucratic society.

PS welshgirl says she's already changed her surname twice, so that's it. There's the answer; it's not going to be changing.
    Last edited by pamela7; 02-28-2016 at 09:52 PM.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJFyz73MRcg
    I used to believe this, now I'm in the company of many tiggers. A tigger does not wonder why she is a tigger, she just is a tigger.

thanks to krististeph: tigger = TG'er .. T-I-GG-er