Thread: Going out

Going out

Hi my dear friends .My new wig just arrived yesterday I was so exited to receive it it is gorgeous and when I tried it on along with my new pink framed glasses and looked in the mirror was so disappointed .I have not put on any make-up or earrings yet but I was not very pleased with who I was seeing and am very reluctant to go out in public .I was so looking forward to go out on the town soon . I have spent a small fortune on wardrobe and pretty accessories and am wondering if it is worth all the money I have spent if this is the best I will ever be .Yours truly Lynne

Lynne it comes together bit by bit. Perhaps your new wig just need shaping by a stylist; mine his done miracles with wigs I was ready to throw out right after receiving them. Makeup application coaching also helps; volumes on YouTube...

Give yourself a break, it doesn't happen overnight; well, with some pretty ladies on this site it has, but....

Best,

Jamie
    At the makeup counter

Lynne, I'm reminded of the only time I ever tried on a wig in a wig shop. I was out of town in guy mode and went into a wig shop in a mall. After a brief talk with the SA in which I revealed that I was wig shopping for myself, she offered to let me try on a wig I had selected. No way I said, but then she said I could go to the back of the store into the restroom and try it on there, which I did. No makeup, I looked hideous, but I liked the wig. I bought the wig, wore it one, hated it, and never wore it again. I just made a bad purchasing decision, rattled somewhat by the experience. But there was a vast difference wearing the wig when made up. So don't get disappointed over your look without makeup. Use private time to practice makeup and find the look you like. Private makeup and dressup sessions are always fun for me.

I hate how I look without make up while wearing my wigs too, similarly I hate wearing make up and not a wig as well.
    As nicole says, make up and the wig together and it will make a big difference to your presentation.
    I cant stand to fly, I'm not that naive. I'm just out to find the better part of me. I'm more than a bird, I'm more than a plane, I'm more than some pretty face beside a train. Its not easy to be me.

You need to work on the makeup fast Lynne...

If I just slap a wig on I look just like I've stepped out of a Status Quo tribute band... Not a pleasant experience for me or the rest of the band members... (But we changes the lyrics to "No more sweet Katherine... )

It will be worth it once the makeup comes together - maybe worth a makeover or some advice from a Sephora or Mac outlet, or a full-on makeover if you can afford the crinkle and chink and can get to a good transformation salon...??

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

I agree with Sarah. I have gone wig shopping many times in "boy-mode" and have felt very out of place and exactly 0 percent feminine. When I finally put the same wig on after full-makeup I have been blown away by the transformation. Such a huge difference with make-up.

Banned Read only
    I would NEVER go out without makeup. When I put on a wig without makeup, I am a disaster!

Lynne, i've got a perfect tip for you.

There's a app called "youcam makeup" (and a couple of other versions, depending on your system), try the free version.
    You will be able to place a LOT of different make-up and hairstyles on a photo of yourself.
    The results can be pretty nice (as well as shockingly awfull) so try it on various photo's of yourself.

I used it to determine what type of wig and haircolour would fit me.. let's by fully honest, I wanted nothing more then to pull of a blond.. but after some 50 failed attemps (I do make a very realistic blond clown it seems) I started looking at other styles, noticed it's possible to move not only the wig over a photo, but also only bits of hair to blend it, etc.etc.

Actually now that I've got shots with make-up, I even load in those pictures, and then start playing around in the details.. as you can see on my profile, my eye browns need attention/re-work.. and i'm still fussy about some other parts too.. but let's name my elefant in the room for easy refference

It was such a huge cheer me up and motivational booster for me, that if it's only half that for you, I am sure it will be great advice.. fingers crossed on my end.

x Tara

ps - if you want me to send you some examples, just drop me a message

Aussie girl enjoying life Michelle (Oz)'s Avatar
    I'm another that only likes the total package with full makeup and wig. Anything else just looks wrong.

Hi Lynne,

Given the efforts and expense you've gone to in order to create a feminine image, I can understand how disappointed you feel.

When I got my first wig, which is a long blonde veluptuous affair, I expected it to round off my outfit and make me look the most girly finished article. Instead, it just accentuated the masculine face...I guess it was the contrast of the feminine hairstyle with the man's face.

However, as many of the girls have pointed out below, makeup, and in particular a good layer of primer and foundation with a swish of mascara, balanced everything up and made me look feminine. It was the best example I've seen for myself of just how big a transformation can be had from just a little bit of makeup.

Spend a little time in front of the mirror and hopefully it will work for you.

Love, Michelle
    Michelle

Lynne,
    Maybe the pink framed glasses don't suit.

As others have said, makeup and time to make the transition are things well spent.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.