Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I got a job!!

I got a job!!

Hiya girls,

I just had to share this with someone! I spend 99% of my non-work time in female mode and plan to go full time next year. But I really want to get some experience of working as a woman before I make the change. Sooooooo, I thought about voluenteering in one of the charlty shops near where I live. I went (dressed, of course) to my local Cancer Research shop this morning to see the manager and she took me on immediately! Not 'fill out this form and post it back' or 'sorry we're fully staffed' but 'how soon can you start'!! So next and every Saturday, I'm working in the shop serving customers, pricing clothes etc. I can't wait! The only dilemma is 'did she know I'm currently a guy and it doesn't matter?' or 'did I pass?'. I don't know if and/or when I should say something. What do you think?

M xx

Smile Congratulations

Well done Monica,say nothing and enjoy the experience,it will do wonders for your confidence.. ....Jill

Say nothing, and two BIG 's!

I assume free help is hard to get in the UK also. Good for you, for volunteering. And definately enjoy yourself and good luck...BJ

Congratulations

I'd say nothing about gender, and if the subject ever comes up just say "I thought you knew."
    DonnaT

Banned Read only
    Congratulations Monica,
    Just get on with it.
    It'll be great for your self-confidence working and dealing with the public as yourself.
    And voluntary work experience can always be quoted in future work applications.
    I think it's a great idea so go for it girl!

Quote Originally Posted by Billijo49504
    I assume free help is hard to get in the UK also. Good for you, for volunteering. And definately enjoy yourself and good luck...BJ
    Beggars can't be choosers!

Question is.....what to wear?
    Last edited by monicawyer; 02-17-2006 at 02:18 PM.

Say nothing unless actually asked about your gender, if that happens just tell the truth and I reckon all will be ok. My guess is they won't object in any way, they need help and really it doesn't matter.

Good luck, hope you enjoy the job.

Sometimes demure.... Anne Charlotte's Avatar
    Well, at least you'll get first refusal on all those girly clothes that come through the door !!!

Bear me in mind if you get a size 16 black leather skirt !!!:cheeky:
    Live the high life.......wear 5 inch heels !!!

LOL Annie C

Smarter than I look Jenny Warren's Avatar
    A few years ago I worked in an Oxfam shop in the centre of Oxford.

I can't beleive I'm sooo passable that they didn't know, but they never said anything and I was always treated as one of the girls.

I had a great time, and I'd do the same again if the opportunity arose.

Jenny
    Some days are a total waste of make-up

www.womaninside.me.uk

Congratulations that is huge! Very proud of you and envious too I must admit.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny Warren
    A few years ago I worked in an Oxfam shop in the centre of Oxford.

I can't beleive I'm sooo passable that they didn't know, but they never said anything and I was always treated as one of the girls.

I had a great time, and I'd do the same again if the opportunity arose.

Jenny
    Hi Jenny,

That's my thinking. I was only there for 10 minutes and I NEVER pass as a 1-2-1 for 10 minutes! A couple of minutes at the checkout maybe!

Either way they gave me a voluenteer form to fill ouut and take back when I start next saturday but I'm going to post it thu their letterbox tomorrow so if they did know and they're having second thoughts, they have my phone number to call me! Otherwise, Saturday can't come soon enough. Another step towards womanhood.

When you worked in Oxford, did you work behind the scenes or on the shop floor? How did you find working with the public?

Monica x

Smarter than I look Jenny Warren's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by monicawyer
    Hi Jenny,

When you worked in Oxford, did you work behind the scenes or on the shop floor? How did you find working with the public?

Monica x
    A bit of both, mostly on the shop floor though. I was lucky enough to be more able to understand the electronic till than some of the sweet old ladies who usually volunteer.

I never had any problems with customers or staff, but remember a sticky situation where I got home to find my fiancee's 10 year old daughter waiting on the drive to warn me that some friends had dropped by to visit. (They didn't know about Jenny) The daughter had stood outside for half an hour to warn me before I walked in.

Jenny
    Some days are a total waste of make-up

www.womaninside.me.uk

good for you i hope you enjoy it

that's great I'm very happy for you and your new job. It's good for you, and doing charity work is good for the community. A win win situation.
    keep on gurlin everyone. paula may

I think that at first, need precludes all other considerations. If you're adept at filling the need, others will ask questions later. It is likely that they asked the questions sooner or later, but ignored the answers in light that they had you to fill the needs. If you prove to be the answer to the needs, they will most likely grow with the situation, and accept you for who you are. Good people are hard to ignore when the prove themselves. You provide something good for the greater good. It shows in your avatar. I'm very glad for you. Go with this, and it will take you to places that you want to be. Congratulations.

Any money found in the laundry is MINE!

"This is no social crisis....this is me having fun!"

www.flickr.com/photos/tgmarla/

Sometimes demure.... Anne Charlotte's Avatar

Well ????

How was you first day at work ??

Tell us !!!
    Live the high life.......wear 5 inch heels !!!

LOL Annie C

Thankyou!

Girls,

Thanks so much for your kind words of support. As TGMaria says, I'm sure the question will be asked sooner or later but hopefully they will be acccepting once they get to know me

I start next Saturday, a week today. In hindsight I should have offered to start today....damn! I'll probably do the denim knee length skirt with boots and a top look. Casual but smart enough for the shop. What do you think?

Monica xx

Classic Lingerie Lover

That's Wonderful

Hi Monica,

Congrats on your venture and I sure hope you enjoy it. OH! How sometimes I wish I could pass well enough to try.

If they don't ask, don't tell. Best of luck.

Hugs Cathy
    [SIZE=5]Cathy[/SIZE]

Congrats on the job and best of luck with it, sounds like everyone may benefit from it.

I'll probably do the denim knee length skirt with boots and a top look. Casual but smart enough for the shop. What do you think?
    One of my personal favorites.

Rachel Jean

Monica --
    Congratulations. Hope that all goes well there for you.
    Sherrie Lynn Pall

Sometimes I make sense and that frightens me.

Please don't let me be the last post on this thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny Warren
    but remember a sticky situation where I got home to find my fiancee's 10 year old daughter waiting on the drive to warn me that some friends had dropped by to visit. (They didn't know about Jenny) The daughter had stood outside for half an hour to warn me before I walked in.
    You have a keeper there!!!

Monica, my sense is she probably knew, but didn't care a hoot. Enjoy the experience...

Mitzi

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    The only dilemma is 'did she know I'm currently a guy and it doesn't matter?' or 'did I pass?'. I don't know if and/or when I should say something. What do you think?
    Hi Monica,

Well, first off going on your avatar and profile picture....you look very passable to me. So it's possible she thought so, but a whole 10 minutes of close up conversation...I doubt it. But then so what? I think you should just be who you want to be, and if that's to present as a woman all the time, then go for it!

I agree with others, unless someone directly asks you about your gender (which is none of their business)...say nothing.
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

Congratulations and thanks for your service to your community..yes I think the need for qualified help is paramount. So enjoy your time there and dress conservatively. I think all will go well.

Tea?

Ah, you wonderful people! Thanks for all your kind words of support and encouragement - I want you all round my house for tea and scones tomorrow afternoon! Six days and counting - I will give you a blow by blow report this time next week.

M xx