Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Have You Noticed any "Cait Effect?"

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Zooey View Post
    I do agree with the idea of a separation (from a policy standpoint), but I do not agree with that set of criteria. While it would cause me no issues NOW, it does not meet a lot of transitioners needs.

I believe that the feds already have a good standard for recognizing gender change - being under the care of a licensed medical or mental health professional, who is willing to provide a written statement that you are undergoing "appropriate treatment" and (implicitly) that they believe you should be legally considered as your target gender. I'd like to see that standard adopted broadly as the defining line.
    Yes, the suggested criteria I quoted were from SB100 from Indiana, a decidedly anti-trans piece of legislation. How does one acquire a year of living continuously as your self-identified gender if you are not allowed in public spaces such as restrooms? Well you just don't.

I think requiring a letter from a doctor is excessive as well. It's fine for people with access and means to afford trans medical care, and who happen to live someplace where such care is available. That excludes easily 90% of the US... And that assumes the trans person wants a medical transition - not all do.

By the way, the correct answer to the whole bathroom issue is this - just make them all unisex. People in the US need to get over their weirdness about restrooms. If someone is going to enter a restroom to commit a sexual assault, they are unlikely to be deterred by the fact that it's illegal for them to be in that restroom.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulaQ View Post
    Yes, the suggested criteria I quoted were from SB100 from Indiana, a decidedly anti-trans piece of legislation. How does one acquire a year of living continuously as your self-identified gender if you are not allowed in public spaces such as restrooms? Well you just don't.
    Yes, a year is a long time to hold it...

By the way, the correct answer to the whole bathroom issue is this - just make them all unisex.
    Like this:

Where Men's and Women's share a common wall, remove the separation, make all stall walls floor to ceiling, add a small mirror and a fold down shelf to each stall, make the row of stalls visible from the external hallway, re-position the wash basins to the external hallway and eliminate the mirror over the wash basins.

If someone is going to enter a restroom to commit a sexual assault, they are unlikely to be deterred by the fact that it's illegal for them to be in that restroom.
    Funny how that works, isn't it?

DeeAnn