Thread: A New Level of Fun

Aspiring Member

A New Level of Fun

Yesterday this girl had the pleasure of graduating to the big leagues in facial hair removal: electrolysis!

It was more of a consult and sample, so not a full session. She worked on my chin for about 20 minutes so I could experience the sensation. So my thoughts? It wasn't THAT terrible. Having said that, this was a short session on a relatively easy area. Had she tested my upper lip, well, I'm sure my experience would have been different. I applaud those who go for 2+ hour sessions. You gals are troopers!

My skin's reaction was pretty good, considering the repeated insertion of a needle into my face and subsequent electrocution and tweezing. There was some redness and tiny bumps but very little discomfort, after.

Looking at my face, the lady said we could start full sessions but that I'd still be a good candidate for more laser, at least on the upper lip to help clear it a bit more before diving into full electrolysis. Coincidentally, this place also offers laser and provided a sample of their snazzy new machine that's not supposed to hurt. Well, the "snazzy" and "new" parts were true. My upper lip still felt some hot discomfort but it wasn't as bad as the other lasers I've experienced. Of course, discomfort aside, the main question is how effective will it be? At least with electrolysis you can see right away what's been cleared. With laser, you have to wait around a week before the hairs fall out, if they fall out.

Overall the experiences were pretty decent. I've now experienced the fun that is electrolysis so I'm better educated on the experience. It's one thing to read about it, it's another to actually experience it.

The ladies who worked on me (electro and then laser) were both very very nice and informative. I came out to them as trans on the phone and they were absolutely cool with it and asked how long I had been on HRT, if I had a preferred name yet, etc. Depending on their laser prices, which I have to check today, I will likely go back because of how kind and respectful they were.

Good times...well, sorta. :P
    Last edited by dreamer_2.0; 01-29-2016 at 06:27 AM.

Congratulations, sounds interesting that they combine the approaches. I am due to have my first electro session next friday, the lady doing it is trans so no worries on that score. She had real trouble with damage to her skin from laser and is a strong advocate of electro-only. Maybe for people with very fair skin, like her, it's something to think about.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJFyz73MRcg
    I used to believe this, now I'm in the company of many tiggers. A tigger does not wonder why she is a tigger, she just is a tigger.

thanks to krististeph: tigger = TG'er .. T-I-GG-er

I've made it and love it Jennifer-GWN's Avatar
    Holly; congrats indeed. You've joined the electro ranks. Agree with the notion of doing as much laser as you can as electro is a long drawn out process. Watch out for the discomfort that comes with having to work up a bit of scruffiness for a couple of days before your sessions. This is my biggest personal area of stress at the moment although I've found a few approaches to minimize the stress and allow me to feel comfortable being public visible.

Heck of a ride.

Cheers... Jennifer
    I am who I am... I'm happy...I mean truly to the bone happy...and at peace with myself for the first time ever. I'm confident and content as the woman I am.

Aspiring Member
    I don't think combining is typical practice. They just wanted to give a sample of both services. The electro and laser were done in two different, albeit close, areas. Once I decide which direction to take it'll likely just be that one method for a period of time, likely laser, then finish up with full electro sessions.

Gold Member
    There are a lot of theories on how much laser to get before electro and the results vary too. I had cleaned out all the dark hair doing laser and six months into electro I started seeing some again and here I am almost 3 years later with dark hairs. Sigh. The thing about more laser is you get more kills for your money to a point of low density where it might start becoming a wash.

Congrats! Heading down the road a little more...

Congrats. I start laser three weeks from yesterday.

Congrats and welcome to the Pain for Beauty Club! One caution. Neither laser nor electrolysis kills the hair follicle every time. Some hairs require multiple treatments. I am also well into my 3rd year and now go in every other week for an hour or so. No matter how skilled the electro tech, she or he will insert the probe in the wrong place sometimes and then yank out the untreated hair thinking that she just zapped it. I found that out as we got into the hunt and kill mode after all the bigger and thicker hairs were zapped and we were trying to get the ones that were prickly like stubble but hard to see. I bring a 10 or 15 power small magnifying mirror and we find a lot that way. While watching through the mirror I have seen her miss several hairs. Patience is needed because it may be a long term process for you.

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer-GWN View Post
    Holly; congrats indeed. You've joined the electro ranks.
    Yes...thank you....I'm so happy to be here...

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer-GWN View Post
    Watch out for the discomfort that comes with having to work up a bit of scruffiness for a couple of days before your sessions. This is my biggest personal area of stress at the moment although I've found a few approaches to minimize the stress and allow me to feel comfortable being public visible.
    The scruffiness bothers me also. It was only 2 1/2 days worth of growth, but it was enough to cause some distress. I survived, of course, but reverted back to full boy-mode; a benefit, I suppose, of not being full-time. I can't imagine the distress of having the scruff while being full-time.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue View Post
    There are a lot of theories on how much laser to get before electro and the results vary too. I had cleaned out all the dark hair doing laser and six months into electro I started seeing some again and here I am almost 3 years later with dark hairs. Sigh..
    Quite true. Laser is only permanent hair reduction so it's by no means perfect. And, as AllieSF pointed out, even electrolysis isn't 100% perfect but that would likely be due more to the tech rather than the electro itself. We also can't forget some hairs are just more stubborn than others and require a little more love, care and extra electrocutions (die you freaking little.......*clears throat* excuse me). Regardless, it's a long, arduous process that I'm so happy to be a part of. *grumble*

The thing about more laser is you get more kills for your money to a point of low density where it might start becoming a wash.
    More truth. Laser, as uncomfortable as it also was, zapped a relatively large area. So significantly more hairs than electro which is just one hair at a time. Sigh, indeed. I'm curious about how effective the sample zaps of the laser from yesterday will be and will make a decision after.

Congrats! Heading down the road a little more...
    Thank you! Another step forward on that road. Not a huge one, but it's forward. I'm thankfully feeling much better after my recent freak-out. Glad that's behind me. There will be others in the future, no doubt, but they're growing more infrequent.
    Last edited by dreamer_2.0; 01-29-2016 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Brain kept thinking

Girl underconstruction Paulette's Avatar
    Unfortunately there is no short cuts to beard removal. Traveling this road you will experience some level of pain be emotional or physical. Be prepared for it and fight through it and on the other side the results will be yours and yours only. Everyone is differnet and each will react to electro differently, just pull up your big girl panties and keep your eye on the prize. I have over 300 hours of electro and I am not done yet, the joy of a very heavy beard that is deep rooted and packed with nerves. I just last night enjoyed having the hair around my nipples and on my breast electro'd and that was so much fun, not!
    Just and older girl trying to experience all that life can bring.
    "Life is not a dress rehearsal"

Over 300 hours here too. It could have been less. My first electrologist was the right person for people like us.
    It's Frances with an E, like Frances Farmer. Francis is a man's name.

Aspiring Member
    wait 300 hrs ... omg ... at 100/ hr??!!! I also have to start elctro because all the dark is gone and only blonde is left. But 300 hrs ...wow
    Professional thread killer.

I'm not new, just quiet lizbendalin's Avatar
    6 sessions of laser, around 100 hours of electro and figure I have at least 100 to go. Ah, the joys.
    It's not that I want to be a girl, or I want to be a boy; I want to be me!

My Facebook profile

Aspiring Member
    Well, I've now got 20 minutes down now so 300 hours will be a peice of cake...........

In all seriousness though, WOW!!! Sure hope I don't need that much....only one way to find out!

Gold Member
    Realize we are all different, so you will see a variety of responses on time spent. Also, some/many of the hours towards the end are going back for regrowth across the face that will likely be somewhat sparse and certainly is compared to the beginning. So you probably will have a phase where you can run around confidently without make-up coverage, but you seem to just keep having to go back to remove more. Mine has been going quite a while and it was far enough back, I can't remember when I first went out without something on my face because of hair.

Quote Originally Posted by GabbiSophia View Post
    wait 300 hrs ... omg ... at 100/ hr??!!! I also have to start elctro because all the dark is gone and only blonde is left. But 300 hrs ...wow
    Not $100 an hour. The first electrologist charged $55 and the one with the best results charges $45 per hour. In all, with the laser before, my hair removal took 5 years and cost $20,000.
    It's Frances with an E, like Frances Farmer. Francis is a man's name.

there's Groupons out there, too. I found a Groupon for electro in the city where I'm moving to but I'm starting out with the six treatments of laser.
    I'm a nice Jewish girl.

I'm not a girl, Not yet a woman.

Aspiring Member
    Plenty of groupons in my city for laser but nothing for electro. Full price, baby!

I've made it and love it Jennifer-GWN's Avatar
    I got 1 year full body laser for 1700 unlimited . As for electro its 55$ hour.
    I am who I am... I'm happy...I mean truly to the bone happy...and at peace with myself for the first time ever. I'm confident and content as the woman I am.

Laser worked really well for me. 10 sessions made a big difference. Now, onto electro for the grey. 50 hours in so far ($55 per hour) and about 25% of the way there. Now, we are also going after the stray dark ones as well, just to make sure they get really zapped. On average, each hair has to get zapped 5 times during its growth cycle to really make sure its gone.

I too hate the scruffiness prior to electro. Not shaving for 2-3 days still looks rough on my neck, the rest of my face, can't tell, but it still drives me nuts.

Welcome to the club of necessary evils......sigh.....
    Seize the day. Life is short, and you're dead a long time...just sayin' ...