Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New job

Becky,
    Any employer that has multiple sites with even a moderate number of employees in the UK will have an equal opportunities policy. I would suggest that in your conversion you ask the question along the lines of; "In my interview you asked about being comfortable working with gays". "What's the company diversity policy statement on this and how do you monitor it?" "Will this impact upon any data we collect i.e. customer feedback, or monitoring our equal opportunities status". This is job specific stuff for you.

This should give you a feel for just how seriously the company takes these issue.

I would suspect that without stereotyping as an industry it attracts many at the more femme/liberal end of the gender spectrum. As others have said give it time and suss out the "corporate culture". If you find someone in the higher management you feel you can confide in the broach the subject. They may say yes dress as you like, it's ok or they could say no as it could effect our supplier/customer relations; we have a "dress" code.
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

I once worked briefly for a cosmetics company where the Vice President of Marketing was full-on androgynous. For the life of me, I couldn't tell if he/she was male or female... I know, I know - this failure on my part should have constituted grounds for being obliged to hand in my "crossdresser card", and it was certainly not a question one could ask overtly.

To put this into the proper perspective, this individual was the spitting image of the androgynous character "Pat" on the late night television show Saturday Night Live from some years ago, and who drove everyone around them crazy with their in-your-face gender/sexual ambiguity.

Becky,
    Congrats on the new job. You've had plenty of good advice already so I don't think there's anything that I can add. I guess that Helen's correct about the EO policy / procedures. That's probably a good line of enquiry (especially as you'll probably be perceived as wanting to know all about it so as not to trip over it!).