Thread: Closure... A journey all but complete

I've made it and love it Jennifer-GWN's Avatar

Closure... A journey all but complete

As some of you that have followed my transition progress over the past year and recently; this week represented a fairly significant milestone for me personally leading to final closure.

I came out to my WW team back last June with overwhelming support and over the past 7 months I've interacted with virtually all of them in some way. However, of the 7000+ folks most had not met Jennifer F2F. This week (sat-wed) represented our single largest yearly gathering F2F. Visibility for me would be front and center given my role within the organization and for the event specifically.

Leading up to this past week my nerves and anticipation were on the highest order and the pressure I'd put on myself significant to be solid, to be seen as the significant technical female leader that I am, to be ready 110%. This was my time to emerge; the time to leave no doubt in the eyes of the global team that I'm a strong and confident woman in the organization.

I expected this event to be similar emotionally as experienced back in June. Happily it was not. Happily in fact it was but a non event. I was me and I went about my day as I would any other conference. Sure there were a considerable number of hugs and acknowledgements of both my accomplishments and; due to my visibility, that I've created a path for others in the organization to follow. But it came without tears... it came with a accelerated sense of confidence in myself and an acknowledgement that my approach and plans regarding coming out at work had be solid. There is no question that I've assimilated. There's no question that I'm solid. There's also no question that I've been recognized across the organization for what I've accomplished by the executive management team at the very top levels and am an inspiration to others within the organization.

This was a pretty incredible week. Long days on my feet, countless meetings with colleges, team breakouts to set direction for the coming year, and personal time with friends I've had within the organization for many many years.

There were surprisingly also a large number of folks who actually didn't even recognize me which I found astonishing. Have I changed that much since this event last year. Well the answer to that is yes clearly. So to some degree this was my first time at the event (and I did use that occasionally as an ice breaker).

I've returned exhausted but happy. Its brought closure to me. Closure in knowing that I'm solid in who I am personally and professionally. I've reestablished myself across the organization. I've been accepted (not that I hadn't been already) by the team. The strength of my relationships with so many have reached new heights. The year ahead is going to be pretty incredible given that I'd pretty much curtailed much of what had been my travel norm just to allow me time to do what I needed to do without travel complications and the complexities of engaging customers F2F. My travels in Oct to Europe proved that I was ready to get back on the road.

The caption on on the slide captures so much for me... Inspire Inside. Succeed Outside.

For me these words represent a great deal for me personally beyond their intended purpose.

12670078_1565111237142397_7821181496744057630_n.jpg

There's more steps ahead as part of my transition including bottom surgery, etc but this is purely inwardly orientated.

I hope this represents a degree of inspiration to you all. Transition is a brutal process. For some it goes well, for some it is riddled with speed bumps and issues, much out of our control but we have plan what we can, anticipate what's ahead as best possible, and then roll with the punches. My organization and team has been beyond outstanding and I acknowledge and give thanks for that daily.

Cheers... Jennifer
    I am who I am... I'm happy...I mean truly to the bone happy...and at peace with myself for the first time ever. I'm confident and content as the woman I am.

Well done Jen x

Congratulations and enjoy everything that you have worked so hard to accomplish. Thanks for sharing.

I knew you could do it, now you know. Biggest hugs, you deserve them.

Yeh Jen
    My parents should have known something wasn't quite right when I kept putting Kens' head on Barbies' body Rachel Smith May 2017

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][SIZE="3"]Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want. Dan Stanford[/SIZE][/SIZE]

I used to feel like one in a million now with this forum I feel like one OF a million

“We must be willing to let go of the life we planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us.” ― Joseph Campbell

Gold Member
    You say it comes without tears. Well, I am having some for you. This is wonderful and well done! It is as it should be, being recognized for who you are and what you have done.

As far as being surprised that there are people that don't recognize you. I think we all go through that and are surprised. There are some people I had side conversations with to catch them up and some, who I hadn't really worked directly with in a while, that i basically wrote our relationships off and they can start anew if needed. We don't see the change in ourselves, but it is there.

Lots of smiles for you!

What is a "WW team"?

Woman first, Trans second
    Congratulations - so happy for you!
    Coming out is like discovering that you've been drowning your whole life after actually breathing air for the first time.

From the context, I'm getting- Women's Wrestling.

Congrats Jen, That's amazing!

Congratulations, Girl! You are AWESOME!

Hugs,

Leah
    Be nice; It don't cost nothing.

Congratulation Jennifer. Well done and that picture says everything.
    Part Time Girl

Congratulations on your successful journey to be successful and be respected by your peers, I know you said no tears, but my eyes get a bit watery due to the emotion i feel by simply reading your story..
    Way too Girly ! I couldn't smell the smoke, and now I'll watch the flames

Out on Parole ......Woo Hoo

Wonderful achievement

Jennifer
    I had a rough week at work last week regarding my numbers this quarter. Thank you for sharing your success with us. It gives me hope. I asked for the chance to succeed and be me. I plan on taking it. Congratulations!
    Last edited by Suzanne F; 02-08-2016 at 01:38 AM.

Silver Member
    Thanks for sharing your journey with us Jennifer
    Yours is always such a positive and uplifting story.

Always Stephanie Now! Stephanie Sometimes's Avatar
    Congratulations Jennifer! Going through transition with that much visibility to so many people is a challenge that most of us don't have to face and it must just add to the difficulty of everything else. We all have our different obstacles to deal with as well as sharing many of the same ones. It is good to hear of your success so thanks for sharing it. I appreciate this forum for the people that are honest about how difficult transition is and how very bad things can happen but I also appreciate hearing positive stories like yours.
    "Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing." Helen Keller (The Open Door)

"I give her my heart but she wanted my soul...But don't think twice, it's all right" Bob Dylan (1963)

Gone to live my life
    Hi Jennifer,

Congrats and thanks for sharing!

Cheers

Marcelle

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    That woman, over there. She just seems so peaceful. Why can't my life be so simple.

They just won't see all the turmoil that was under the calm surface.

Bless you.
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

Jennifer

Hi you have made great strides and this may be of testament to others. Which may help or aid in over coming the fears of coming out. Great, Congrats to you. I came out at work before I retired and it does make out feel accomplished. I am proud of you and I think I'll go back to work so I can do it again.

Contessa
    [COLOR="blue"]Contessa Marie D

I'm TG. A fem-male so I look male sometimes.

Dressing is necessary, the type of clothes you wear not so much.

This above all to thy own self be true!

I've made it and love it Jennifer-GWN's Avatar
    Thanks all for your comments and support.

Sue; No tears...at least during the event. I'm guessing due to the fact that I needed to take it head on.

I have to thank Michelle (from the forum here) for giving me a day away from the Hotel and the Convention center prior to the event to completely dezone from what was to come.

I say no tears. Today; with a day to myself to sit and reflect on the past week and considerable milestone on Friday, I can say I'm a sobbing mess (in a good way). My tears are also in part thinking about life and living it too the fullest.

Recent events with another forum member have also made me realize how precious life is and that it can be taken away so easily.

Don't lose a moment, live life to the fullest, and appreciate what you have and those around you.

I've had a profound change in my life and a solidification of who I've become.

I'm sitting here booking travel, travel for the first time internationally under my established name given that passport applications have finally been submitted. Its absolutely surreal.

Carla; You're correct on the comment "turmoil that was under the calm surface". We here know a good deal about what's going on underneath as we all deal with transition in our own ways. I'm pretty strong; an expert as such in masking whats under the surface, I've had to be.

Contessa; Can I say... once was quite enough thanks.

Cheers to you all. Jennifer
    I am who I am... I'm happy...I mean truly to the bone happy...and at peace with myself for the first time ever. I'm confident and content as the woman I am.