Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Top Secret (DBR)

Senior Member Nikkilovesdresses's Avatar
    Sounds to me more like they don't want 'their world' knowing about you, because they are embarrassed and or ashamed of you.

What charming little individuals. Cut 'em out of your Will and get a puppy instead

Or better still try and get on Oprah and out them as narrow-minded little twerps.
    I used to have a short attention spa

Well Nikki,

You summed up the situation with my kids in far fewer words than I could have, but for the part where my wife is more supportive of the kids than me.

I don't even think that is possible...crime, bad credit etc yes...but this sounds like they are just angry about something else..
    No regrets except I should have got dressed & stepped out sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by CONSUELO View Post
    Where is the security risk?
    In a conversation that I had with an individual who had a very high security clearance, he told me that the "risk" was blackmail. He told me of some of the questions that they asked him about his ex-. When he told them that was going too far, they told him that their main concern was blackmail; that made sense to him.

But as someone else mentioned, if it's out in the open, then it's no secret and blackmail is off of the table.

Lacy PJs

Transgenderism is not a crime nor a mental illness.
    Therefore it poses no risk to people applying for security clearance.

Your 'feedback' is either from gross mal-information or general ignorance.
    Samantha -x-

Stand-up Comedian En Fem❤ Alice_2014_B's Avatar
    I still have a current "Secret" security clearance, I need one to do my job in the military.
    My cross-dressing has not changed that.

Melissa: "... and why are you dressed as a woman?"
    Coach McGuirk: "Because it's freeing."

-Home Movies
    (cartoon series)

Shoe size: 9 US women's.
    Dress size: M to L; 8-10.
    Height: 5' 6".

Quote Originally Posted by Smile View Post

I can't speak for your country but here in the US one of their biggest fear with someone with top secret clearance is their vulnerability to be blackmailed as so many here have already stated. It doesn't have to be a crime to serve as a tool used by someone else to coerce, frighten and manipulate that person to do their bidding. Having an ongoing affair could be blackmailable! One's special secrets may be enough to provide leverage to the bad guys to try to use that to blackmail someone. That is why they want all secrets on the table and out in the open before entrusting top secret information to someone with a job to do.

I am long time proof being CD/TG/TS does not make a problem with US clearances. When I was in US Navy, 1969-74, aboard Missile Submarines, and had a Top Secret + clearance. When living off base, I experimented with dressing and driving around. Caught by a local cop, after awkward explanations let go. He did notify my base CO. I had to visit Psychs and security. Explained all as just isolated CD and no gay activity. They said OK to all.

After getting out went to work as a contractor to US DoD, still needed Top Secret. Visited Pyschs and security again. One in security was in NCIS and was familiar with me from then. Again NO problem. Kept clearance until I retired in 2011 both as a contractor and later as a US DoA employee.

Always tell people security doesn't care as long as you don't hide anything.

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcelle View Post
    Hi Robyn

I am not sure about the US but in Canada clearances are about the ability to be compromised. If your kids can be blackmailed about your dressing ... it could. I am out publicly so blackmail was not an issue
    Marcelle nailed it. This is exactly same for US security clearances. If the investigation uncovers that you crossdress, it will be an issue if it is not out in the open.

By the way, in addition to concern about being blackmailed, they also look for past criminal activity or relationships to felons, unexplained foreign travel, contact with suspected terrorists, relatives in foreign countries, questionable alcohol or drug use, indebtedness, mental illness. Any red flags could result in denial if deemed to be a security risk. Depending on security level, they will check driving records, arrest records, past residences, schools, past employment, neighbors, references.

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Smile View Post

Transgenderism is not a mental illness but behavior like crossdressing could be used to blackmail people in sensitive positions and would be reason for a security clearance to be denied - if the crossdressing is secret.

In general, any serious emotional, mental or psychological conditions can prevent granting a security clearance. The issue is whether the individual's condition causes, or may cause, poor judgment or unreliable, untrustworthy, or dysfunctional behavior. Many applicants are denied Top Secret or Secret clearances due to mental illness, but some who have a diagnosed mental illness do receive clearances.
    Last edited by heatherdress; 02-12-2016 at 12:44 AM.

Senior Member Nikkilovesdresses's Avatar
    Hi Robyn, your PM box is full so I'm copying this message here-

I made one of my typically glib replies in this thread about your kids not speaking to you. I'm not going to amend my post, as it's already history, but I'd like to apologize to you for giving the impression that I might trivialize your situation.

My own birthdaughter (I was 24, it was an open adoption, I've met her a number of times and got along extremely well) doesn't communicate with me more than at most once a year and routinely ignores email, presents, invitations, etc. It sucks - I adore her and have no other children. But she hasn't actively rejected me in the way that your children have, so I cannot really know what you're going through - I can only imagine that it is deeply saddening and distressing, and I sincerely hope that one day they will get over themselves and return to the fold. I'm sorry too that your wife sides with them - but then most moms perhaps would.

Genuine best wishes for the future-

Hugs, nikki
    I used to have a short attention spa

If you are looking to protect yourself, don't lie about *anything* when going for a security clearance. I used to work in a place with Nukes. My security clearance was held up for a couple of months because the Da of my best friend in HS used to be in the IRA.

Funny thing is, if you do that you also give your kids MORE room. If you are out & proud, there is nothing to leverage.
    - Madame Moose - on my way to Anne
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    "I yam what I yam and tha's all what I yam." -- Popeye the Sailor
    "If I am not for myself, who will be for me? And when I am for myself, what am 'I'? And if not now, when?" - Hillel the Elder