Thread: The MAC adventure

The MAC adventure

I would never have believed it even a few months ago, much less a year ago, and certainly not when I first joined this oasis of a site, but I did it. Encouraged by my recent experience of getting busted by an EKG technician and surviving, I decided that I was going to walk in to a MAC store and get makeup advice. I was on an out of town trip, so that lowered the risk, but business associates were there too, so it wasn't entirely risk-free.

I've been fantasizing about getting some professional makeup advice. My only foundation has been purchased for me by my wife, while I wasn't there, and I think it's either too light or too dark. In addition, it is liquid foundation and doesn't cover as well as I would like.

The nearest MAC store was in a Macy's in an indoor shopping mall near the hotel where I was staying. I walked in (in drab) and approached the counter, where there was a clerk behind the counter and a clerk in front. One of them (I don't recall which) asked if they could help me. I said yes, I was looking for some cream foundation (I had heard it is better for us CD'rs than liquid foundation). She asked, "did she tell you what shade?" and I responded, "no, it's for me." WELL! She literally beamed and said "great!" That was cool! I felt really at ease.

She walked me over to an area and started pulling out what looked like compacts, opening them and holding them up to my skin. I thought, ok this isn't too bad, I'll just get the shade she figures will work best and be on my way.

Then she started in on applying a shade to one side of my face with a brush! She asked me what I thought and I looked in the mirror. I said it looked a little bit orangey, so she picked another shade and asked me to go over to a chair and sit down. As we were walking over to the chair I told her that I wanted some color correction for dark circles under my eyes and for my (fairly minimal) beard/mustache shadow. She asked if I also wanted to look into a highlight for under the eyes, too. I said sure. So she picked out some and brought it with us. I sat down in the chair.

The chairs were on one wall, surrounded by the area with all of the makeup displays. There were mirrors along the wall and the whole location was completely visible to other customers in the MAC store as well as the department store (Macy's) within which it was located.

So anyway, I'm sitting down and we wipe of the orangey foundation. She then gets to work on the new foundation. She starts in on the color correction when, evidently, a previously scheduled appointment walks in and she has to take that customer. So the first clerk who was initially behind the counter takes over. In contrast the the one who was helping me before, she is very distracted. She leaves me several times to take care of other customers, and I start to feel uncomfortable and uneasy.

Finally, I say that "you're really busy so why don't I just take these items, and a foundation a shade darker, and leave it that." Ok so I'm done. I wipe off the make up, pay for my foundation, correction and highlighter and leave with a smallish MAC bag full of my haul.

I walk back through the mall on my way back to the hotel to stash the goods. I'm walking towards a department store through which I intend to exit, when I recognize one of my business associates sitting on a bench! Fortunately he is absorbed with his cell phone and doesn't see me. I turn around and scuttle to another exit.

Well I've made it home safe and sound. I haven't had a chance to try my new make up, but hope to be able to do so soon.

Overall the experience was both exhilarating and terrifying. I'm sure that in time the exhilarating memory will predominate over the terrifying part, and I'll be braver and more comfortable.

Thanks for listening!
    Putting the y (chromosome) in girly!

Yay! So happy for you! I just love these stories! Thanks for sharing......

It is wonderful that you have taken that first step!!! I suspect it will be the first of many!! I hope you will try having your makeup done while you are en femme, it is amazing!!!!
    Please call me Lisa!

I checked with the nearest MAC location to me about doing a full makeover. If you pre-book a 1 hour appointment they will do a makeup session for you. It is a $60 fee, but that is waived if you buy a minimum of $60 of product, which I expect is quite easy to do. At least that's how they work it here in Canada. The young lady was very accommodating and said that men requesting makeovers was "More common than you would think". I was going to book for this Saturday, but unfortunately they have a major lipstick event because it's just before Valentine's Day so they were not booking appointments.

Wow that's great must of taken a lot of nerve to do that, you must be very proud of yourself.

Neanderthal in nylons Julie Denier's Avatar
    Thanks for sharing your experience! It's the fear of running into business acquaintances on work trips that keeps my dressing confined to hotel rooms while on the road

Glad you got that experience! I work right next to a MAC so I just look over there all day wishing they could make me over. I even dream about wearing the make up artist's clothes, lol. Those ladies have some style!

Aspiring Member
    Middle of Oregon, on the West side, but my feet aren't wet!
    Congratulations, Brenda! You should check into the appointment deal, it sounds like it could be fun with the right SA!

Great adventure, Brenda, and Yikes on the near miss. Nicely written and fun to read. I am sure the exhilarating part will be what you remember. Not bad to keep the radar level up on alert all the time anyway! I dress sometimes when on a trip on my own or when home I'll go a few suburbs away. However that is no guarantee that co workers or neighbors won't be shopping there too, I'm talking 10-15 miles away not too far. I keep an eye out for anyone I recognize. Out of context, they likely would not recognize me but that is the fear of course.

MAC is a great place to go and I've been several times. Same reaction from the makeup artists ( one told me that they all have extensive training). I've had two full makeovers at MAC - yea, not cheap, but at least if I am going to buy the product anyway it is nice to get the application and tips - and fun to to be fussed over in the chair. Of course, once in the chair, I worry about what if a co worker got seated next? Pretty unlikely. A month ago while on a road trip dressed I stopped in without an appointment en femme just to see what they'd recommend for a more dramatic eye look. In that case there is no obligation for purchase, but if they come up with something I like... anyway, it was mid afternoon and slow... and we touched on almost everything except foundation. I did like the eye, bought two shades that were the look.
    I have been there in guy mode too and no different. In addition of course to being friendly to make a sale, I do get a little sense some of the artists like the challenge to find something the right color or shade - in guy mode I'm usually just looking at a lipstick/gloss.

I only mention this to encourage you to carefully try this again. And if you are comfortable, go en femme with an appointment. If possible, go a few towns or more away to put your mind at ease!
    At my last appointment I made the appointment in person in guy mode; was getting help with a moisturizing lip gloss (dry MN air in winter) that I could wear in guy or gal mode. The associate let me try on several shades, I wasn't sure, but she took time to look, compare, and recommended one. Felt very comfortable working with her and since I knew I was having a femme weekend a couple weeks out I asked her about makeovers. She said sure, they do , just call ahead. I asked if I could make an appointment with her, that I felt comfortable, she lit up and of course got out the calendar and booked it. She definitely remembered me two weeks later, and the makeover was helpful. I ask questions and she answered them all! A very femme experience.

Banned Read only
    Great story Brenda. I've done the same thing myself when the pink tornado hit after a LONG hiatus. MAC is great, they see a LOT of us and the only awkwardness stems from ourselves. The local MAC I'm close to actually employs TG makeup artists as well!

Gone to live my life
    Hi Brenda,

It sounds like you managed to survive and get a good shade of foundation and other goodies in the process. Too bad the first SA had to leave as she sounded like she really wanted to help.

Cheers

Marcelle

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    Good job of courage, Brenda. Now that you've dipped your toe, you can strategize for the next time. I would suggest an artist that specializes in cd makeovers. It's a beautiful experience and you'll have that moment where you look in the mirror and say, "Hello, Brenda." I know 'cause when I said, "Hello, Carla.", I nearly burst into tears.
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

Awesome! Great job, thanks for sharing. You do know what comes next, don't you?

http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...mer&highlight=

Hugs, Michelle

Congratulations on a great experience. I have a lot of fond memories of MAC counters and their help. I am a bit of a planner when I am shopping and in the early days when I was a little more self-conscious of being seen by someone else, I would shop first in a more unisex store. I would buy women's fashion from let's say an Eddie Bauer this got me a larger bag then when I went into MAC or Soma or Victoria Secret, I would drop the smaller bag into the larger bag so even if someone saw me in the mall the bag wouldn't stand out. Have fun with the foundation and keep building a lovely look.

You made a solid choice going to a MAC store Brenda, and should be proud of your accomplishment. As others have suggested, and based on personal experience, booking an appointment will definitely provide a more personalized experience.

Thanks for adding that link Michelle. Very helpful and encouraging.

Karen

I too have had excellent experiences at the MAC counter...and Ulta too!
    Wearing my fuschia bodycon dress:
    http://imgur.com/6WkdAts
    For the first time, outdoors during the day:
    http://i.imgur.com/RmjIxbY.jpg

A happy ending to a fun story. I'm inspired!