Thread: Of interest to Ontario girls

Of interest to Ontario girls

My girlfriend Jenn, who has been fulltime for over a year, was offered a three day pass to Fuzion Fitness. (an Ontario wide franchise).
    She went to take advantage of the offer, and was told she must change in the MEN'S locker room. Needless to say, she had a meltdown.
    I joined Goodlife, Canada's largest franchise, and was told to feel free using the locker room I felt comfortable in (ladies, obviously). I have never had a problem, or even a long look.
    Jenn has a meeting with the General Manager today. This is blatant discrimination. Ontario law states we should use the washroom corresponding to our presentation, but where do changing rooms fit into the equation?
    Any opinions, or similar stories?

Late breaking news. Jennie talked to the Prez. of Fuzion Fitness. After a quick trans 101, they offered to let her, and trans women in the future, use ALL the facilities, including changing rooms. A step in the right direction for sure, but she declined to sign up. When you've been slapped, you don't go on a second date.

An OK ending to something that should not have happened in the first place.
    Last edited by I Am Paula; 02-06-2016 at 11:52 AM.

I've made it and love it Jennifer-GWN's Avatar
    Amen to that!
    I am who I am... I'm happy...I mean truly to the bone happy...and at peace with myself for the first time ever. I'm confident and content as the woman I am.

Quote Originally Posted by I Am Paula View Post
    After a quick trans 101, they offered to let her, and trans women in the future, use ALL the facilities, including changing rooms. A step in the right direction for sure, but she declined to sign up. When you've been slapped, you don't go on a second date.
    That's unfortunate. Western society is in the midst of learning about gender variance and changing its laws and policies accordingly. It's a process that doesn't happen equally across the board ... it's not like everyone will be on board at the same time, given the long history of non-understanding that we're emerging out of. It does take a lot of trans 101, that's how people learn and how policies continue to change. Granted, Canada and the US might be behind the UK somewhat (I don't know about other western countries and Australia), but trans persons here will only catch up if they continue to do as their UK sisters, which is to chip away at the block and take advantage of victories when they achieve them.
    Reine

do you seriously think the uk is ahead, Reine? what's the evidence?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJFyz73MRcg
    I used to believe this, now I'm in the company of many tiggers. A tigger does not wonder why she is a tigger, she just is a tigger.

thanks to krististeph: tigger = TG'er .. T-I-GG-er

Gold Member
    I am sorry she had to go through that but applaud her for handling it in a manner that brought about change. Education is one of the great barriers.

Quote Originally Posted by pamela7 View Post
    do you seriously think the uk is ahead, Reine? what's the evidence?
    Stories from UK members about your wonderful medical system for TGs, and laws guaranteeing fair treatment. Some of the states in the US (not sure about Canada ... haven't lived there in awhile) are still debating whether TGs have rights.
    Reine

There are quite a few in the US that want to legislate us out of existence.
    Last edited by Rianna Humble; 02-07-2016 at 05:46 AM. Reason: Snide comments about moderation removed. Next time will be an infraction
    Be nice; It don't cost nothing.

Gone to live my life
    Hi Paula,

Very interesting. The battle of the "change room" is one hill I have chose not to die on at work. The Federal government (DND) owns the military gyms so when I came out as trans there was a huge internalized debate on what to do. The bathroom was never an issue and most (not all) the women in my building had no issues with me answering nature's call in the ladies. However, the gym change room created a big brouhaha and we had several long meetings about it. I chose to compromise (perhaps I should not have) but I understood how uncomfortable it could have been for the women in my building . . . after all, while I may think of myself as a woman, my physiology is all male. The interesting thing was the men were just as upset about the prospect of me being in the male change room (go figure). So an accord was reached in that I would have access to the male change room but a portioned area was created to afford me privacy while changing. It was awkward at first and I felt a bit "second class" but once things normalized I was fine . . . all I really wanted to do was work out, shower, change and go about my business. So while the CAF is leaps and bounds ahead in some places . . . still crawling in others.

Cheers

Marcelle

Non-binary/Questioning
    Here in Canada we had the Conservatives in the Senate torpedo Bill C-279 on gender identity as a protected status under the Human Rights Act after they made changes that would have restricted access of trans people to sex-specific facilities, thus turning it into an American-style 'bathroom bill'. Ontario has, thankfully, made some recent changes to improve things for transgender people - specifically, the process of getting SRS and changing gender on ID. We're not there yet, but it's progress.
    Last edited by Rianna Humble; 02-11-2016 at 02:49 PM. Reason: If you want to post about the old-news from the US, please do it in Media and don't hijack the Ontario thread in TS

Hi Jenn.
    Really sorry to hear that. Hope that you were able to join another gym club....

I've made it and love it Jennifer-GWN's Avatar
    Adelaide;

I'll go out on a limb and assume you assumed it was me... . Not me. Wouldn't catch me in a gym. That's why 10 minutes after my son moved out to university in sept his room was "modified"... To be my gym so I could rescue my bedroom back.
    image.jpg

Left up the flags and put in music and tv. I've got a sweat factory at home.

Hhaha cheers... Jennifer
    I am who I am... I'm happy...I mean truly to the bone happy...and at peace with myself for the first time ever. I'm confident and content as the woman I am.

Amazing Member
    I would prefer a third option, a private changing space including the private cubicle family change rooms they have at some community centre gyms. Without those, I would have to change at home. I am just not comfortable, despite SRS.
    NOTICE: Any institutions or individuals using this site or any of its associated sites for studies, projects or any other reasons, PLEASE BE WARNED THAT You DO NOT have MY permission to use any of my profile or pictures in any form or ANY forum posts both current and future. If you have DONE THIS or do IT, I MAY consider IT a violation of my rights to privacy and it may as a result, even be the subject of the appropriate action, including steps permitted under the law involving courts and lawyers. Why not ask for my approval and permission first?