Thread: "The Wife"

Silver Member

"The Wife"

This is not intended to be critical, so please forgive me if it hits you wrong. The general use of the term 'the wife' bothers me a bit. I would much rather see "MY WIFE" when there's a need to make reference to her. Its so much more personal when there's love in the house. Ditto for SOs. Exception for Xes, I guess.

I agree with you. I always refer to "my wife" on here. I don't use her actual name to preserve anominity, of course.

What I should say is "my lovely, beautiful, wonderful wife who I love very much" because that's what she is. (Things are going well since my recent reveal.)

i complained similarly early on, but had that deleted as we are not to criticise grammar/other references. It bugs me hugely, as i see it as objectifying, and ex's are still human beings (tho it does not always feel like it :-))
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJFyz73MRcg
    I used to believe this, now I'm in the company of many tiggers. A tigger does not wonder why she is a tigger, she just is a tigger.

thanks to krististeph: tigger = TG'er .. T-I-GG-er

I have 'my wife', which is her; and there there is 'The Wife', which is me.

The rules about marriage and property are outdated to say the least. The words & titles are part of that. Legal definitions and such. Not proper to my mind, but that is the structure that exists.

- MM
    - Madame Moose - on my way to Anne
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    "I yam what I yam and tha's all what I yam." -- Popeye the Sailor
    "If I am not for myself, who will be for me? And when I am for myself, what am 'I'? And if not now, when?" - Hillel the Elder

Moderator Note

We have had this discussion before and almost universally those who use the expression 'the wife' do so as a term of endearment - it also tends to be a language foible - possibly more from the UK - and includes expressions like "the old girl" or "the ball and chain"... and so on (all very affectionately, of course)

Members are allowed to express themselves within the rules as they see fit and referring to SOs, wives and loved ones is included in that - please don't forget we also cater for some widely differing cultures across the English language world...

So, for example, I was once told that an Aussie being friendly to a Brit would refer to them directly as "a Pommie b------.." - the time to duck beneath tables or run for the door is when one is referred to as "A BLOODY Pommie b------..."

Wonderful thing, the English language, but we don't dictate it's accurate use here, other than excluding the bad words...

Thread closed

Katey