Thread: Trans* awareness training

Trans* awareness training

Yesterday I had a meeting (yes, fully dressed en-femme) with a possible new business collaborator - they work with people diagnosed with various "(dis)abilities" in the education field. In the afternoon they were receiving a "transgender intelligence training", so I stayed to sit-in on the training. The trainer was a trans-man who'd transitioned a long, long time ago.

Given the environment, it was safe to come out as transitioning, and to know this had zero effect on going forward in business, in fact it was probably more of a tick in the box of "we have another diversity covered now" for them. Businesses in the UK need to be trans-aware, and to be seen to be doing their bit. There never was a better time to come out and be that expert at work - if one so chose.

One legal aspect came out that I felt was really important to share: "in the UK, it is illegal for anyone to pass on information about a trans person's trans identity/transness, subject to prison and a £5000 fine". This covers the entire transgender community by implication of the law as written. So a doctor has no right to tell a consultant he refers anything about your "transness" unless it's a directly related medical necessity, such as for SRS.

The training itself was open and informative, the delegates were engaged, interested, asking questions, curious. They wanted to know how to interact, how to avoid causing offense to trans people, particularly the pronoun situation. While the official line is "ask and use the gender requested", i think we all know here we prefer to be "ma'med", right? (and transmen prefer to be "sir'd")

I think what i'm saying is "the door is open, society is ready, walk through it".

PS out getting lunch from a snack shop with a lady colleague and the serving-lady gave us a parting "enjoy your afternoon ladies" (big smile).
    Last edited by pamela7; 02-10-2016 at 02:06 AM.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJFyz73MRcg
    I used to believe this, now I'm in the company of many tiggers. A tigger does not wonder why she is a tigger, she just is a tigger.

thanks to krististeph: tigger = TG'er .. T-I-GG-er

An informative post - thanks

Thanks, Pamela!
    If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!

Myself working at worlds largest theme park, diversity is up front with company policy. But it is still very generic concerning training. And unless there is a confrontation between employees, there no enforced "awareness". I see that as being too little too late. Not enough being done here to effect change. Someday? Atleast the larger companies are recognizing the need. Pick our battles.

Wow! England has an anti-outing law? That's amazing. You said "anyone" above, but is it truly anyone or just the medical profession? I could see the latter getting passed in the US but not a general law. Hats off to England!

this link shows a lot of covered aspects:

http://www.pfc.org.uk/Equality.html
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJFyz73MRcg
    I used to believe this, now I'm in the company of many tiggers. A tigger does not wonder why she is a tigger, she just is a tigger.

thanks to krististeph: tigger = TG'er .. T-I-GG-er

Interesting insight Pamela - thanks for sharing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennie-cd View Post
    Wow! England has an anti-outing law? That's amazing. You said "anyone" above, but is it truly anyone or just the medical profession?
    All medical records here are covered by the Data Protection Act and I'd think it unlikely that any healthcare worker with access to this data would deliberately "out" a transperson, but you never know. The DPA would also cover any other agencies or organisations who held information about any identity changes for an individual (this would include employers, financial institutions, etc. even online shops! ) so any misuse of this historical data would be subject to prosecution. If it was an individual who was known personally by others before and after and was outed via gossip that would not be covered by the act but the victim would have recourse to civil action if it resulted in significant distress because of the action. Additionally, the Gender Recognition Act 2004 Section 22 allows that:
    If someone has disclosed that you have a Gender Recognition certificate, or information that would lead a third party to believe that you have gender recognition certificate, or a new birth certificate because you are trans , then they have committed a criminal offence and you can report it to the police and expect the police to pursue the possibility of a hearing by the Magistrates Court, and a possible conviction .
    To date there appear to have been no successful convictions under this section of the Act but this does cover anyone...

Thanks for the link to PFC as well - they have some interesting resources on their site...

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

Such a law in the USA would be amazing but given the current political climate, I just don't see something like that happening. Trans awareness training is certainly a good thing and a few of my cousins could benefit from it.