Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's easer to quit, Smoking, Drinking or Cross-Dressing

I stopped drinking and smoking over 40 years ago, but crossdressing ....never ! I was born with it in my genes and will die with the desire to wear those beautiful cloths that are made for women.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlaWestin View Post
    Don't drink or drink in moderation. In check, it can actually be beneficial. And, it makes you relax.
    While I otherwise admire your spirit, it isn't that simple or easy. It is really FFn hard.

Not to throw shade, you are blessed to not have that particular addiction. Alcohol is a rough trap (not the fun kind of trap)

I'm still wearing a skirt right now, and prefer it.
    - Madame Moose - on my way to Anne
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    "I yam what I yam and tha's all what I yam." -- Popeye the Sailor
    "If I am not for myself, who will be for me? And when I am for myself, what am 'I'? And if not now, when?" - Hillel the Elder

One can quit smoking and drinking. But very few can quit crossdressing.
    Angie

I quit smoking. I quit chewing. If I were to quit CD-ing, then I'd have to quit being me...

Aspiring Member
    Funny, I would only smoke when I CDed. I did this for approximately 10 years in the 1990's. I think I smoked because I had not accepted the CD, to deal with it. Then I asked why am I killing myself? Do I subconsciously want to do it because I am disgusted with my inability to stop CDing?
    That rush of nicotine may have enhanced certain fetishtic elements of the dressing perhaps. One day it was like I woke up. Have not touched tobacco since.
    Now weed was something else. I abused Mary Jane for over 25 years, mostly I think because when high I did not have to deal with myself. Smoke morning noon and night. Then one day I woke up from that too. Have not touched it in 9 years.

Funny anecdote about alcohol. My dad went out on it. We took him to rehab. The second we stepped up in there I overhear a conversation some of the folks who were already checked in were having about their "crossdressing habits".
    Excuse me but WTF?! I kid you not. Strange. It got to me for sure.
    All these insidious substances we use we put in us from the outside. I think CD is already in us trying to get outside.

I'm asthmatic and I smoked rolling tobacco for over a decade.
    I've now been off cancer sticks for over 3 years after 2 previous attempts to quit.

I've been crossdressing for 20 years.
    I've made numerous attempts to quit. Purges, denial, shame of returning to it....
    But then I just conceded - I'm not killing myself or anyone around me by doing this, so why should I quit?

Crossdressing/Transgenderism is the most addictive thing I ever got into
    And I love it
    Samantha -x-

In some ways CDing would be for me. I can't change the desires, how I feel about myself, but, not dressing does not drive me to the brink like smoking does and alcohol has. I still smoke..... my longest cessation is just a little under a year. I am currently sober for close to a year, once quit for 10 years. I can tell you the reason I started drinking again is not due to wanting it, but sort of a peer pressure kinda thing. I was on a date, the girl I was with was ordering wine.... I just at that moment thought, it has been 10 years, I will be fine. Been plenty long enough to kill the demons. Well, it took a few years after that, but they eventually came back. I go a couple days without cigs and I start wanting to pluck my eye lashes out. Been through that hell once before, I haven't been able to bring myself to go through it again.

Dressing though... IT never goes away, as it is not outside of me but inside.... Yet, I never get the going crazy out of my head feelings from not doing it. I made myself go all but 30 years without ever doing it. Frustrating, but it is now for the times I don't and was more of a dull constant ache that I can manage, sorta lol. I am better with Cding than without, but better without smoking and drinking than with it.
    Chickens should be allowed to cross the road without having their motives questioned

I only smoke when not properly oiled }:>

I still keep going back to skirts. they are pretty. They feel *right*.
    - Madame Moose - on my way to Anne
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    "I yam what I yam and tha's all what I yam." -- Popeye the Sailor
    "If I am not for myself, who will be for me? And when I am for myself, what am 'I'? And if not now, when?" - Hillel the Elder

Probably drinking for me lol, I guess my desire to dress is not as strong as the need for a drink every now and then

Smoking and drinking, there are plenty of support organisations for them.

Ever seen a C.D. Anonymous group advertise?
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Banned Read only
    The need to express my gender, to be who I really am, is orders of magnitude stronger than my desire to drink. I've been sober 26 years now. But I realized that my need to live as and be the woman that I've always been was so strong that I could either succumb to it, or it would literally destroy me.

For most of you, it won't be quite this bad. But the fact remains, the need to be who you really are, even if that is "just a CD" is a basic human need. You can't quit it because this is part of you.

Banned Read only
    MM,
    To answer 27#, I know exactly the point you make , I've been on the receiving end of a heavy drinker, ( father ) not a good place to be, sadly my wife had the same problem , we do both drink but in moderation.

To answer the post it's taken too many years to come to terms with CDing I'm certainly not going to give it up now I'm finally enjoying it !! I try not to drink too much it's not a good combination with heels !!

Banned Read only
    I never smoke. I use to drink socially, which amounted to one or two beers at a function at which I did not have to drive. I read the calorie content of beer and soda and quit 'cold turkey.' I figured it took too much effort/exercise to rid the body of those calories.

Cross dressing? Wearing women's clothing is not injurious to my health. Wearing women's clothing does bring me a very high sense of relaxation without any ill effects. I did try 'quitting' as a teenager or early twenties because I was suffering from self loathing because I thought, as was the belief in the 1960's, that I was "queer, a faggot" and other erroneous beliefs. It did not work. My interest was strictly limited to wearing some of my mother's lingerie since that was all that fit me.

I would say I did quit, but, it was not intentional on my part. Try getting drafted into the army. Go through basic and infantry training with a hundred plus guys and no women around. It was sort of out of sight, out of mind. Then ship off to 'over the pond' and hump the boonies. If there is no stimuli to tantalize a person, I guess it may be possible to quit. I can truly say I did not have any thoughts about wearing women's clothing for a long time. But, then I had a relapse.

This morning I was checking a box that has three brand new pairs of heels from Payless that I have been saving. Duh! I want to order some more heels in different colors today because there is a good sale until March 13th for pumps at $14.99. I'm into total relapse for the last forty plus years. I guess I'm 'hooked on heels" and dresses and slips and bras and panties and hosiery. Maybe I do need therapy? Someday, but, not soon!

I used to be hooked on smoking, drinking, other substances and crossdressing.

I quit smoking, drinking and other substances over a span of five years. that was twenty-eight yrs ago.

I tried everything to quit crossdressing only to find that my only option was to surrender, accept and learn to enjoy.
    Two Spirits

I don't smoke and I rarely drink anything more than one or two beers about once every month or two. Crossdressing, however, IS me. I have tried quitting several times over the years, including purging all my female clothing (this gets rather expensive), only to fall into low feelings of unhappiness, discontent and disconnect. I am now 61 and have crossdressed in one way or another since I was 3. I even went through numerous therapy sessions for my wife's sake to satisfy her desperate hope of "curing" me..........(there is no cure. For us it's now DADT.)

It IS part of me and who I am; it is my personal sedative for peace and contentment; it is my plug-in for feeling whole and complete, the last piece of my puzzle; it is my great equalizer and, finally, it is the yin for my yang! I don't fully crossdress much anymore as I now find that simply underdressing seems to accomplish much of that same zen-like feeling and my wife can't see it so it fulfills those DADT requirements as well.
    Lisa

I've never been addicted to tobacco or alcohol...both of which are socialy acceptable. Crossdressing...not so much.
    However, I've always been a crossdresser and there has always been an adrenaline rush associated with it for me. Not so much anymore as I am now over 60 and because of my wife's acceptance as well as my own acceptance the adrenaline is at a minimum. Bottom line for me is I think it would be impossible for me to quit crossdressing.

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

I've never been addicted to tobacco or alcohol...both of which are socialy acceptable. Crossdressing...not so much.
    However, I've always been a crossdresser and there has always been an adrenaline rush associated with it for me. Not so much anymore as I am now over 60 and because of my wife's acceptance as well as my own acceptance the adrenaline is at a minimum. Bottom line for me is I think it would be impossible for me to quit crossdressing.

I've never been a great big drinker, but I had a horrible time quitting smoking and as strange as it may sound, I quit smoking in 2001 and to this day I still catch myself from time to time reaching for my shirt pocket for a pack of cigarettes after eating a meal.

Aspiring Member
    Never smoked, so I don't know about quitting that. I don't drink very much, so never felt the need to quit.
    Tried quitting being a CD a couple of times. Lasted about a month each time.
    But as they say, you can only quit something if you want to quit, and deep down. I never really wanted to quit being a CD.
    I shall never try to quit again because I really like being a CD.

Smoking was easy 35 years ago, just stopped and never smoked again.
    Drinking - no problem - I drink a couple of wines daily but none when I'm driving.
    Dressing - I will never give up, partly because I have no male underwear and most of my outerwear is uni or feminine.

I don't smoke. I developed a rather extreme dislike for it after losing a relative to 2nd hand smoke.

I don't drink. I'm pretty sure I'd be a nasty, addictive, violent drunk and decided to just not start. Look at your relatives, it's not hard to figure out what you've probably inherited and the odds were just too stacked against me for that to ever be worth it.

If I completely stop crossdressing, it could literally kill me (though, it would be a rather slow death and not at all pretty and there's always a chance something else will get me first.) I mentioned in another thread I do it for medical reasons. I wasn't kidding. I wear medical grade pantyhose and I wear panties to keep them from falling down every 2 steps. Technically, I might get away with wearing the male version of the panties but it's outside of my budget and I'm not convinced it would really keep them up given the difference in shape. As it is, my budget is already stretched thin keeping me in pantyhose. Even if I was magically cured somehow, I really like the panties over my old underwear. In fact, I had to stop wearing my old underwear due to the health problems the waist bands on those were causing...

So, it's fairly obvious which would be more difficult for me to quit.

Reality Check
    If you don't want to quit or don't have a compelling reason to quit, you will not be successful. This goes equally for tobacco, alcohol and crossdressing.

There's a current thread about going to prison and quitting crossdressing. Don't you think being in prison would be a good enough reason to quit crossdressing? Can anyone honestly say they could not quit under those conditions?

I gave up smoking several decades ago. I found it to be disgusting anyway so it was not too hard. I give up drinking alcohol for long periods mainly because I sometimes just don't feel like it. I don't drink during the week anyway.
    Cross-dressing? Now that is a different matter as I have been a cross dresser since early childhood and it is an integral part of who I am. To give it up would require literally tearing all of the deep roots of desire, sexuality, comfort etc. that cross dressing has grown in me.

Just not possible and also cross dressing is benign whereas smoking and drinking can have both long- and short-term consequences that can be devastating.

Quote Originally Posted by Krisi View Post
    If you don't want to quit or don't have a compelling reason to quit, you will not be successful. This goes equally for tobacco, alcohol and crossdressing.

There's a current thread about going to prison and quitting crossdressing. Don't you think being in prison would be a good enough reason to quit crossdressing? Can anyone honestly say they could not quit under those conditions?
    I actually meant to say something about addiction in general in my reply and completely forgot. Addiction tends to be an inherited trait, it can apply to nearly anything and can be nearly impossible to overcome for some people. In some cases, a person with an addiction problem has to settle for changing the focus of their addiction to something less destructive, which can be easier said than done. I'd easily pick crossdressing as my addiction over any form of substance abuse, if I was in a position where I was forced to choose. It's only destructive power is against your wallet.

Myself I have tried to quit, I took a class 2 years ago called Mens Fraternity, it helped me as a person, but I recently decided I wasnt very happy, I have reassessed and decided I should be who I am and not necessarily what society thinks I should be.

Well I quit smoking a long time ago and I have a beer when I wear my breastforms