Thread: waiting list up to 12 months now

waiting list up to 12 months now

The less than wonderful news is that the waiting list to even have a first meeting/assessment with the SW England gender clinic is now up to 12 months. Presently this is an eternity I can't even conceive of getting through. How the hell do you cope?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJFyz73MRcg
    I used to believe this, now I'm in the company of many tiggers. A tigger does not wonder why she is a tigger, she just is a tigger.

thanks to krististeph: tigger = TG'er .. T-I-GG-er

Aspiring Member
    Coping methods include things inappropriate for this forum. Let's just say alcohol...

I hear ya! In my province, it is 2 years to get an appointment to start the "assessment" process. However, the government has just announced that it is adding more resources to get things moving along a lot quicker. Here's hoping. I hope that the time is not too difficult for you. Try to do as many little things for yourself you can to make you feel better.
    Seize the day. Life is short, and you're dead a long time...just sayin' ...

Silver Member
    Do you have to go through the system or do you have the option of paying for dr and prescriptions on your own?

thanks Arbon, presently I do not have the private option, and getting to an endocrinologist is the downstream bottleneck anyway.

thanks DreamerGirl, i don't need to drink anymore since i know who i am.

Erin; electrolysis seems like one good use of time pre-HRT. Transitioning is so all-consuming tho that no other project has any interest presently.
    I used to believe this, now I'm in the company of many tiggers. A tigger does not wonder why she is a tigger, she just is a tigger.

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    When I was referred to Charing Cross, the waiting list was only 48 weeks. The way I got through it was 1 day at a time.

Sorry, no magic bullet to offer
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

US peoples have better? news. There are several new surgeons coming online. My timeline has been two years and I am going to beat that but it is because I chose a surgeon who is newer (excellent surgical credentials and trained by another surgeon here in the US). Last August I was given a choice. See the surgeon for pre consult in 6 weeks and get in line for the surgery ASAP (ended up in April 7months)or wait to see the "name" surgeon in April (now) and wait 18 months after for the surgery. I took sooner. I think it is more than 18 months for the "top name" surgeon in the US. Has been for years.

But that's surgery. To get into the trans-cue. I told my PCP, she called the psych people who got me in within a month who got me into endo within 4 months who got me a "letter" within a year (because I wasn't planning surgery before that anyway) who got me the interview 23 months from the initial. My insurance rocks...well for me anyway. I know three other TSs with the same carrier who can't get in line for surgery.

Sorry about having to wait but to answer the question...I did laser and electrolysis and just lived my life. Time goes quickly
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

The good news is if you know who and where you are, and know where you're going, and have already transitioned...
    You'll probably sail through the GC process fairly quick. Don't miss appointments.
    Last edited by Rianna Humble; 03-12-2016 at 04:02 AM. Reason: Removed irrelevant quote

Senior Member Nikkilovesdresses's Avatar
    Perhaps for some a lengthy wait gives time for reflection...and a change of heart. Definitely something that shouldn't be rushed into, wouldn't you agree?
    I used to have a short attention spa

My Dr has come through, of sorts, finally in April I get a first meeting with a consultant Psychiatrist. It's 3-4 weeks away but its a start.

Being one who rushes in where Angels fear to tread, huh, Nikki? Being a wind spirit I will blow hot and cold, and sometimes feel becalmed, but a whirlwind needs to whirl - love those swirly skirts.

Gold Member
    pamela;
    Remember, you have many friends here pulling for you. I know a year can and
    sounds like eternity, but it can go by fast. Just look how fast Birthdays can creep up on you.
    Rader

Thanks Rader,
    Today, finally, 2 months after seeing the Dr, I received my "you are now in our system and we hope to see you within 12 months" letter from The Laurels, Exeter, SW England. I guess it's progress of sorts as now I can speak to their volunteers/meet them to discuss anything I want before meeting an official doctor/analyst.

I remember once going to a fancy dress party and chose the pseudonym "Ivor Nokabolakov" - seems like my unconscious was trying to speak to me way back then. :-)

onwards and upwards

xxx Pamela

Pamela
    I was referred there last august, latest info seems to indicate i'll be seen for my first appointment probably in July.
    So i'd prepare yourself for a long wait.
    Having said this, I do understand that they are getting more resources, so hopefully the wait won't ba so long.
    Rachel (in Wilts)
    Be truthful to yourself.

Gosh Pam...that just seems like an eternity. I guess this is the downside of the National Health. Time flies so fast though. Someday you'll look back and be reminded of that. Chin up, girl! Lisa

Hi Pamela,

I am registered at the Laurels Exeter and have been attending since 2012 (its a lengthy process), You will find that once you get your first appointment (we all require patience its a very busy place) your first appointments will be with a Psychotherapist who will carry out assessments to see if you will be put forward to see a doctor i.e. Consultant Psychiatrist it is a fairly long process but they are very good at the clinic. They are now in the process of expanding the existing clinic space with more consultants coming on board so you may not have to too long for your first appointment. You might be interested in the monthly Forum held at the Laurels which you may wish to attend before and during you time at the clinic. Good luck and as frustrating as the waiting time is? It will hopefully be worth it for you in the end...

Thanks Janice, I just met the local psychiatrist with the purpose of seeing if he could expedite the process, but square-root of diddly-squat useless. I'm meeting with one of the volunteers on wednesday, and until else happens, patience is the watchword.

I feel for you Pamela, lets hope all comes good soon? The frustration is painful I know...

Pamela you don't have to go to the nearest clinic. I know of someone who opted for a place in, I think, Northampton, which had a much shorter waiting time than her nearest place, (Charing Cross).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]