Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Books about a cross dressing character?

I've just read "The art of being normal" by Lisa Williamson,a young adult ( hey I can dream) book about a boy wanting to be a girl and a girl transitioning to a boy. Very good and even brought a tear to my cynical eye... "The new woman" by Charity Norman is a transgender tale of a middle aged TG who finally realises he needs to live his life as a woman. I've also just read " Fanny & Stella. The Young Men Who Shocked Victorian England". This is a true story of two crossdressers/TG's who were arrested in 1870 and scandalised Victorian England. There's a lot of conjecture and supposition but it's an enjoyable read and window into Victorian society.
    On a personal note I'm not a fan of "fictionmania" due to the age of some of the characters.
    "Slipping into stockings, stepping into shoes"
    The shortness of life prevents us from entertaining far-off hopes. From Horace’s Odes, Book 1,4

"The World according to Garp" -John Irving?
    "Turnabout" - Thorne Smith
    Both transgender but not exclusively about crossdressing.
    ALWAYS plan for the worst, then you can be pleasantly surprised if something else happens!

"The important thing about the bear is not how well she dances, but that she dances at all." - Old Russian Proverb (with a gender change)

Fictionmania.com is a great place for these stories.

OMG!! Owning my femininity .... and I LOVE it!

Not the main character but Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace has a crossdresser in it.

I apologize if I missed this on the various lists here, but there was a book advertised on television several months back titled, "Cross Purposes" by an author whose name I can't remember. It was about crossdressing because the ad said so and there was a little teaser shown as well. Help me out, girls.

James Patterson?
    Last edited by SherriePall; 03-28-2016 at 12:39 PM. Reason: think I remembered the author
    Sherrie Lynn Pall

Sometimes I make sense and that frightens me.

Please don't let me be the last post on this thread

Thanks everyone

I would also like to thank all of you that posted books and authors. Now I just need the time to devour all of them
    Sarah Adams, mature girl from NH. My photos are on Flickr under vintage4sarah !

Non-binary/Questioning
    "When Everything Feels Like the Movies", by Raziel Reed, won Canada's Governor-General’s Literary Award last year. The main character is gay gender-bending teen boy. It's very well-written and quite the wild ride, but I don't want to give any spoilers so I'll just leave the blurb here:

School is just like a film set: there's The Crew, who make things happen, The Extras who fill the empty desks, and The Movie Stars, whom everyone wants tagged in their Facebook photos. But Jude doesn't fit in. He's not part of The Crew because he isn't about to do anything unless it's court-appointed; he's not an Extra because nothing about him is anonymous; and he's not a Movie Star because even though everyone knows his name like an A-lister, he isn't invited to the cool parties. As the director calls action, Jude is the flamer that lights the set on fire.

Before everything turns to ashes from the resulting inferno, Jude drags his best friend Angela off the casting couch and into enough melodrama to incite the paparazzi, all while trying to fend off the haters and win the heart of his favourite co-star Luke Morris. It's a total train wreck!

But train wrecks always make the front page.

Murder is a Drag is a mystery with a straight CD protagonist. It's interesting because he's super butch when he's working, but settles into CD almost to become a complete person. A yin and yang thing, I guess. https://www.amazon.com/Murder-Drag-M...rder+is+a+drag

Banned Read only
    There's always Jeanne D'Arc stuff. I'm debating writing a historical fiction of her with every one's sexes reversed.

One of the first books I read that had a crossdresser as the central character was "Killer in Drag" by Ed Wood, copyright 1965. There was also a sequel to that one he wrote in 1967 called "Death of a Transvestite". Both are long since out of print. I still have original paperback copies of both books.
    Phoebe

anything from John Irving .

especially "in one person "

and "Garp".

There is one book I really liked. They even made a movie about it. I have watched the movie perhaps forty times and have read the book perhaps 15 times. The endings differ from the movie and the book. The name of the book is I Want What I Want by Geoff Brown. Its all about how a young transsexual deals wit his dysphoria.

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey11 View Post
    Intetesting story.
    “They’re not women’s clothes. They’re my clothes. I bought them.” (Eddie Izzard)

I'm surprised nobody mentioned Silence of the Lambs. The book came out in 1988 and the movie in 1991?? The movie was recently on HBO and they played everyday for a few months. Every time the creepy cross-dresser scene came on everybody in the room would look at me.
    Kate

I was weirded out when I saw that scene when I was younger lol

I don't know of any books right off the top of my head, but there was a very interesting BBC documentary (about the same time Jenna Talackova started making headlines) about a British transgendered woman who competed in beauty pageants in Britain.