Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coming Out at work. Question

Quick update, finally I had the talk with the HR department.

I think it went well, They were really surprised and honest about not having any idea on how handle it, they will need to research for the company's protocol to follow....Well at least regardless of the outcome I got it out of my chest and will keep moving forward

Very similar to how my company reacted. Good for you. Take a deep breathe and keep going forward.
    Suzanne

Well done Barbara! That was a really big step!! May I suggest that you also do some research to assist your organization?? My "spidey" sense tells me, don't let them take total control of this. This is your life and process, make sure it goes they way you want.....
    Seize the day. Life is short, and you're dead a long time...just sayin' ...

Barbara I can imagine that was a tough email to write and even harder to mash the send button. Maybe it was not that hard after all as I know you had been contemplating this for a while.

I am so proud that you done it and I am hoping that it goes smoothly for you.

Not to go off kilter here on Barbara's thread, but I am totally amazed at how many large corporations and medical professionals here in the USA seem to have no clue how to deal with transgender people. I work for a large corporation and I have been unable to find any policies or guidlines on how TG employees will be handled during transition and or after transition. Maybe I need to query my local HR gal and see what she says.
    Way too Girly ! I couldn't smell the smoke, and now I'll watch the flames

Out on Parole ......Woo Hoo

I've made it and love it Jennifer-GWN's Avatar
    Coming out at work needs to be a cooperative effort between you, hr, and your mgt. Depending on your level in the organization will define how much ownership you should push for. Personally the more say you have the better in my view with the old adage with "great power comes great responsibility". Have a good solid plan that balances your needs and expectations with that of the business as well.
    I am who I am... I'm happy...I mean truly to the bone happy...and at peace with myself for the first time ever. I'm confident and content as the woman I am.

One thing that I've learned is that every situation is unique. Different employers, different legal environments, different co-workers, etc. mean that there is no one approach to the problem.

In my case, I'm first coming out to selected co-workers who I'm fairly sure will support me. That way, if someone says "Did you hear...." there will be people around me who say "so what?"

HR/management will also find out in due course, but the timing is touchy. The busyness of my job is cyclical so I will wait and tell them when things are busy so the administrators won't have time to sit around and think of unneeded "mitigations" for their newly trans employee.

It must have felt great to get it off of your chest!

I'm in a tough pickle with being a long-term temp.
    I'm a nice Jewish girl.

I'm not a girl, Not yet a woman.

Gold Member
    Lauri, one of the questions on policy may be, have they had a situation where they needed to create a policy. I transitioned in late 2014, 10+ years after the last transition and no other transgender people in sight. We have 3400 people at any one time, so that is fairly low. But my HR didn't have a policy and I can certainly see why. They are quite busy, so why address something that didn't need addressing. So we "wrote the book" together.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue View Post
    Lauri, one of the questions on policy may be, have they had a situation where they needed to create a policy
    I am not sure Sue, but the Co. is 6K plus employees US & CA combined, I have been here over 10 years so I would have thought this need would have at least came up a few times or perhaps often enough that someone would say it's time for us to write something down so managers and supervisors can discuss the policy with their employees prior to reaching out to HR for name changes, ID's, etc,

Maybe there are not as many of us T's out there as I think there are.................does not matter I just thought by now we would have been further along was all I wanted to say.

I am at the moment more of concern that health care providers in the US are way behind on even where to begin on treating us for something as simple as a physical.....just saying a lot of work to be done
    Way too Girly ! I couldn't smell the smoke, and now I'll watch the flames

Out on Parole ......Woo Hoo

Echoing Lauri and Sue, I just got home from work, today I had the talk with HR and my supervisor, and while I was assured that I am protected against any form of discrimination there is no written policy or a previous documented case of any person that had transition on the company..Lauri Knows that my employer is also a big company.

it was discussed that there is the need of a policy but again still I was assured that I can move on my transition any way I desire and feel comfortable.

I know this will be a shock to many people but others will understand the clues I left behind all these years and wont be easy but again this is all about being true to yourself.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Lauri K View Post
    Maybe there are not as many of us T's out there as I think there are.................does not matter I just thought by now we would have been further along was all I wanted to say.
    Don't forget that not everyone transitions in place. My guess would be that there is a substantial number that transition between jobs rather than on the job.

DeeAnn

Quote Originally Posted by BARBARA_MELENDEZ View Post
    I've been on HRT since last December,my original plan was to hold coming out at work for at least a year ,but changes are starting to became too obvious and the loss of strength is another issue to consider.. What are I really don't know is to who come out first ? My coworkers, immediate supervisor or the HR department,
    I have very good relationship with all of them...any suggestions or advice.
    Hi Barbara! I am about to come out at my workplace too. I work for a small company (about 55 people). I started by telling our HR person and our CFO. I plan to tell the CEO & owner sometime in the next couple of weeks... and then (assuming he doesn't freak out and/or fire me) send an email around to the rest of the staff immediately after.

I do have a couple of friends at the office who have known for at least 6-8 months. They have been wonderful; however I also have to admit the likely possibility that more people know about me being trans than I realize (everyone tells someone).
    - Arianna

Just a quick Update, This past weeks have been of a lot turmoil at work with lay off and changes with in the company, but still I've come out to a lot of people and so far everybody has been supportive even the ones I thought they were going to be harder to explain.
    I've been very specific about that this is no a secret to keep and that I k planning to keep with my transition.

Actually I went to work as my real self this past weekend...I had a party to attend and when I was ready to leave home I got a call from my boss about an emergency and it was necessary to go right away...I told to myself there is no way I am going to change back and get dressed again, so I went to solve the emergency the way I was dressed, the good thing is that I had jeans and a cute top.

I swear the security stood motionless and speechless for like a minute before he could react and open the gate for me...it was a quick event because took me a few minutes to fix problem but it was a first for me, now I need to start getting work clothes more appropriate...there is a lot of things ahead of me but I am more ready than ever to keep moving.

Barbara
    I am so happy for you. Bad Tranny got me through those beginning days when I was in between. Keep your head up and keep going!
    Suzanne

Yes indeed anybody that is seriously considering transition should pay attention To Bad Tranny Wisdom.
    Last edited by Rianna Humble; 06-01-2016 at 12:54 AM. Reason: There is no reason to quote the entire preceding post just to add 1 line

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by BARBARA_MELENDEZ View Post
    I swear the security stood motionless and speechless for like a minute before he could react and open the gate for me...
    That's Funny! I'll bet you could almost see and hear the gears turning.

DeeAnn

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanne F View Post
    Barbara
    I am so happy for you. Bad Tranny got me through those beginning days when I was in between. Keep your head up and keep going!
    Suzanne
    LOL

I didn't get you through nuthin' lady.

YOU got you through that shit. I deserve no credit for your courage whatsoever. None. It was all you. I faced my shit, and you faced your shit, and we both did it alone. We all do it alone.

We support each other and we commiserate with each other but we face every challenge with nothing but the courage of our conviction. We're all like prize fighters, we walk into that ring alone, ...and the prize is freedom.
    Quote Originally Posted by STACY B
    At least there is social acceptance in being a drunk in our world. Hell I was good at it too.
    Melissa Hobbes
    www.badtranny.com