Thread: You are just like your dad!

You are just like your dad!

In the years before and since my dad passed away, my mum (and my partner) have occasionally uttered the above words. Little do they know that as much as I admired my dad and would have loved to have had the career that he had, I do not think I am anything like my dad. Unless, of course he was a closet CD and managed to keep it from all of us.
    Has anyone else been likened to their father. The mere fact that when you come out family members are usually totally taken aback by your revelation. Your true character can easily be hidden by the need to keep who you really are to yourself.

Unfortunately other than my dad's bad temper, we really didn't have much in common when he was alive. of coarse my temper is even kilter while I am dressed
    Flip Flops were made for Beaches & Bath Houses, We have neither in 2017. Lose the flip flops!

Quote Originally Posted by joanne51 View Post
    Has anyone else been likened to their father.
    I have all my life by my mother. It has nothing to do with gender (I'm a GG). She was referring to our common character traits, the biggest of which was intellectual curiosity and the determination to accomplish what we set out to accomplish. My father and I both have interests in a variety of things: science, politics, philosophy, the arts, architecture. My mother didn't share those interests and so there were parts of my personality and interests that she could not understand.
    Reine

Just like my dad.
    And we both liked checking out womens clothes, but I've never seen him dressed in more than a bra and pants (1950's beach prank)
    See all my photos, read many stories of my outings and my early days at
    http://rachelsauckland.blogspot.co.nz

Too much. he is a loner, and 95 now, still tells me to be a loner, has had a short temper, could never hands stress well, always talked about tall long legged women, and sadly married my mom just because she had long legs!! Nothing else in common! Sadly, i also am a loner, bad temper, don't handle change or pressure very well, but better than he did, and i am also attracted to tall, long legged women, but never got to marry one. I am not sure if he CD'd or not. I have striven to be different from him, but i find i am all too anti social, a loner, few if any friends, bad temper.

I am so much like my father, pretty scary sometimes.
    my sister's reply when I told her how I prefer to dress

"Everyone has there thing, all that matters is that you are happy, love what you do and who you do it with"

Gold Member
    I have been told that I am like my Dad. He was a Carpenter and ran the Family Business of Home Construction.
    I always hung around my Dad when I was small, And he never caught me in my Mothers closet trying on her girdles.
    I became interested in Carpentry and became even better than what my Dad did. I was self taught about weird
    angled roof, and later round stairs; Something he never even thought about. It did provide me with a good living
    and enough extra to afford my dresses etc. Strange event; after my dad died about 30 years ago, My Brother had
    SRS, and blew the whole family away. That is why I keep my dressing in the closet.
    Rader

Rader, Interesting how some of us were blue collar hard physical work fellows, and did this secretly.

Banned Read only
    I'm more like my mom (kinda starting to look like her even, that's cool, she was smokin hot in her day 😉 ). Like my dad, I used to be for sure, but not anymore 😕

My son is a lot like me though, since becoming openly 'gender fluid' my son has seriously let his hair down...literally! 😀

I would have to say with the exception of some physical traits not a bit. My father nerer took any responsibility for his family (shotgun marriage and even after over 50 years of marriage says to mum "at least I did the right thing) made promises he had no intention of upholding belittled his spouse in thought and deed never enought money given to support his offspring we all went underfed while his interests we met. I could go on for hours, bitter yes I am when he is out of our lives they better have a drain on his grave stone. The only reason I still visit is because of mum and only talk to him for mums sake, what makes this harder still is now he is an invalid trying to enforce his will on mum and due to the era of her upbringing she still accedes to this.

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    As I've posted before, there was an awkward moment when my mother looked at me and said, "Stay out of my bra drawer!", then turning to my dad and said, "And that goes for you, too!"

Yeah, like real
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

Gold Member
    Alice:
    Yes, it is something to say that a big guy like me can squeeze into a bra, girdle and a dress.
    My wife thought it quite amusing that her big man had a fem side to him. She was OK with
    my dressing, even bought clothes for me. However, we had a deal, no going out and run the
    risk of embarrassment.
    Rader

Banned Read only
    Joanne,
    I always said if I did the opposite of my dad I would be a better person, I've tried so hard to stick to that, CDing being the only fly in the ointment for me !

Rader,
    How lucky to have a dad who had those skills , working in wood can be fascinating it's great you continued with it. I will admit working out the roof timbers on my extensions was interesting and frustrating , cutting the double angles on jack rafters and getting the bird mouthes right . Some of those timbers are pretty heavy and doing it alone does take some thinking through !

I'm a lot like my Dad, and on balance all of which I am very grateful for
    Family irony: he was the one to carry the burden of his mean stepfather and try shaming as best practice for discouraging me from crossdressing as a child. A few years later I discovered a full set of women's clothing stuck up in a secret cabinet in the basement ceiling. I helpfully [#$@] mentioned it to my mom but she didn't' seem to get it and that was the end of that. It is possible it was inherited from the previous owners, but I got that hiding feeling from him one day when in his 70's and divorced I came over and surprised him with a silk wrap over his pjs. I think there's a good chance this is genetic!
    We are all beautiful...!

Quote Originally Posted by Raychel View Post
    I am so much like my father, pretty scary sometimes.
    ^this. I think the fact that both of us grew up with something that made us sort of the reject in the family and school class, probably also influenced how we interpreted and interacted with the rest of the world. Same height, same facial expressions, same basic skills (same hairline, I thought that was supposed to be inherited through X chromosomes). Now pushing 60, I have many of the same health issues other than the smoking related ones. As far as I know, he had no TG issues, but anyone who knew about that is already dead and gone. In pictures, all the cousins tell me I look just like my dad did, and I'm very much like him. I take it as a compliment. Dad was generally a good guy.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

I am nothing like my Dad. He is mean and spiteful sober and even worse when drunk. I don't look like him at all. I have no desire to see him ever again. My step-dad is a far better person.

Maybe I have some unresolved daddy issues? If so, I am OK with them staying unresolved.

There have been some quite disturbing replies to my original thread. At the time what was going through my head was simply that the people making the comment had no idea that your own personality was totally different to that of your father (at least in my case). But there again am I right in thinking that you are not always best placed to spot similar traits that exist in father and son. It takes someone else to pick these things up by observing the two of you over a period of time.
    My childhood was tough having to cope with a stammer (being totally unable to get words out). Despite this I still mixed socially. My older brother was the one to follow in my father's footsteps, while my early years were disjointed and I failed to follow the career path that I dreamt of.
    Right now I feel that my life could (probably will) take a hell of a knocking when I come out. I am too much at peace when dressed to continue as I am.