Thread: Experiences transition in a master degree or something similar?

Experiences transition in a master degree or something similar?

Hi,

Just wondering, I'm living in south america, I like living here except for the part where LGBT rights are still like10 or 20 years behind (except for Argentina). I'm living now in Chile that is kind of conservative (divorce was aproved in the congress in the year 2004 :S) and in my plan to transition next year I see 2 posibilities:

1.- Start like 6months before and then go make a master degree in Canada as a Tg woman
    2.- Transition in my current job in Chile

Checking online I have only found one succesful story of work transition in all the country :S, sometimes I feel brave and think I'm gonna make the difference but most of the times don't and seems more reasonable to migrate to Canada. My wife is also scared for both of us about transition in Chile.

Anyway, not sure if is the place to find people from south america but, do you think is a good idea to face all the dificulties of the transition during a master degree? I dont expect to pass from day one, wouldnt have time to have any surgery, at least until the end of the degree and, while I kinda think Canada is probably one of the best countries for tg people, I'm not sure if a master degree is a good place to transition.

Any thoughts?

I'm have just started to plan my transition, any feedback would be apreciated

Dani

BTW sorry for my english, not my 1st lenguage, still working on it.

Banned Read only
    Hi Dani, speaking from experience I'd say Canada is a pretty friendly place!

Gone to live my life
    Hi Dani,

Well, I can't speak too much for Chile and how you will be treated if you transition there. However as a Canadian I can say will you experience few issues transitioning here. I currently serve as a transwoman in the Canadian military and most Provinces have transgender rights enshrined in their Human Rights legislation. Most universities in Canada have a healthy LGBT community so again I doubt you would experience few issues taking a Master's degree and transitioning.

Regards

Marcelle

Hi Dani: The vast majority of universities in Canada have great resources for LGBT in general and Trans specifically. As they are all publicly funded, they are tied very tightly to both provincial and federal human rights policies and legislations including protection of LGBT rights. They are probably one of the safest places to transition....
    Seize the day. Life is short, and you're dead a long time...just sayin' ...

Banned Read only
    D:

Relating to option #1, I assume that at some point you will want to change your name and gender notation on your personal documents (passport, visas, etc.). Would the timing make a difference and would you have to be in your home country?

DeeAnn

Quote Originally Posted by Eringirl View Post
    Hi Dani: The vast majority of universities in Canada have great resources for LGBT in general and Trans specifically. As they are all publicly funded, they are tied very tightly to both provincial and federal human rights policies and legislations including protection of LGBT rights. They are probably one of the safest places to transition....
    My thought before reading the responses was- Damn girl, you've got to ask Erin.

If your master's degree is part of qualification for a closed profession (engineering, medicine, law, architecture, nursing, social work, etc.) you will have to meet Canadian standards if you want to move to Canada to practise your profession. Other than that, I think it is a safe assumption that we're more tolerant of LGBTQ individuals here than your home country. Same-sex marriage became the law of the land in Canada about the same time divorce was legalised in Chile.

Thank you all for your help, I guess I still have lot o things to figure out. I have mixed feelings part of me want to manage this in the easiest way moving away to a more accepting country (which is hard anyway) and the other want to fight against the stereotype letting all my friends and collegues know that a trans person is in some way part of their lives and tear down their misconceptions about our comunity.

Regards,
    Dani

Hi Dani,

Quote Originally Posted by danitvpe View Post
    Hi,
    ... do you think is a good idea to face all the dificulties of the transition during a master degree? ... I'm not sure if a master degree is a good place to transition.
    Universities tend to encourage diversity, and if you're not working while in school you can have a pretty flexible schedule to make time for your Dr's appointments and hair removal, etc. Transitioning at school has worked well for me, I went full time in the last 6 months of my MBA. We have a relatively small program, and when I came out the dean of the school arranged to "re-introduce" me to our class. My classmates erupted in applause. Something else to consider, at least in the US some university health insurance programs are amazing. The one at my school covers all TG health care, including surgery!