Thread: Grateful. Another feel good post.

Grateful. Another feel good post.

My wife's visiting nurse was here yesterday. She was a new one, and had never met me.
    I sat in my office as she did all those nursey things, and I heard her ask, 'Is your wife trans?', and my wife answer 'Yes'.
    I thought I'd rejoin them, to see where this was going. She asked if I minded if she asked a question. Sure, fire away.
    'How old were you when you transitioned?' I said 53. 'Why did you wait?'
    My own answer surprised me. I said 'I told myself every day for 53 years that I could fix myself, and then one day I said 'I'm broken'.
    I told her I would never look back bitterly, asking myself why I didn't start earlier. What is done...is done, and my past is behind me.
    After she left, I sat for a moment and reflected on my recent history. The amount of happiness I have packed into a few short years. I have wonderful friends who really care about me, and my family loves me. During transition, I have gone from being the puppy that stops and smells every blade of grass, in awe of it's new world, to being a mature woman, in charge and confident. Have I come a long way?!?!
    Half a century, and I never realized it COULD get better.
    I'm a lucky girl.
    Last edited by I Am Paula; 04-13-2016 at 08:03 AM.

Sometimes it takes an outsider to become the mirror we need to see our true selves. I'm glad the new nurse had such a great attitude and then it passed over to you!
    Be yourself. Everyone else is taken!

A good way to think about it. I kinda feel more like I couldn't before, I did as soon as I could.
    All I ever wanted was to be a girl. Is that really asking too much?

I've made it and love it Jennifer-GWN's Avatar
    Darn straight girl, you got it licked and living the dream. In the end pure happiness is what it's all about.

Jennifer#1
    I am who I am... I'm happy...I mean truly to the bone happy...and at peace with myself for the first time ever. I'm confident and content as the woman I am.

Ditto for me. 'nough said.
    Seize the day. Life is short, and you're dead a long time...just sayin' ...

Paula, so nice that you have accepted yourself and are so happy. Meet so many that it takes awhile for them to come to that.

So glad the nurse is a supporter.

My question is why did she feel the need to ask your wife this. I realize a lot of Trans nowadays have no problem with being out.

When my partner was in hospital and later in home hospice, none of the doctors or nurses felt a need to ask that. I did explain we were partners/SOs, and they liked that she had someone to help/support her. She had lung cancer, so I doubt she even said anything to healthcare.

I don't hide my background, but have never had anyone ask about it either. Unless I bring it up first, and I am willing to share. Even when I tell doctors/nurses of my own, they don't even remark about it.

Do have a story from my sister. She remarked that her son's new family loves/approves of my choices. Asked her how they even knew and it was not a choice. She said her son is so proud of me he shared with them. As I may never meet them it was fine, but didn't appreciate it becoming a topic like show and tell.

I do think it is good for others to see us as just normal human beings. Some say like a birth defect that needed correcting. Helps for all to get comfortable that it is not something strange.

Good question. My wife has a thick binder on the table. The nurses report in it every few days. I've never looked in it til yesterday. Under emergency contacts it says Paul, husband.
    I can't remember to change everything!
    Why she asked, just curious I guess. She was very nice.

Which reminds me, still have not gotten around to change my emergency contacts with doctors.
    Still have my partner down, but she has been dead for 1.5 years. Some things are harder to think about then others.

Gold Member
    I find it emotionally charging to think back and see where I have come. A personality flourishing. It sounds like yours might be described the same (mine took 53 years also). It is interesting on the book. Every once in a while, we all find something. And each one is a little frustrating.