Quote Originally Posted by whowhatwhen View Post
    Safety check:
    Code:
                           Safe?
                              |
                      Has Tim Hortons?
                              |
           Unsafe <--- No<---    ---> Yes ------------> Safe
    We have Tim Hortons in St Louis now. I had no idea it was a safety icon.
    Being a girl is not for wimps.
    Offense is not a gift. You can't give it, you can only take it.

Silver Member
    You see, Timmies keeps everyone safe by making sure that nothing controversial goes on their shops - like viewing gay websites or allowing lesbians to kiss. That kind of thing. Wait ... were those when they were a Canadian or American company, or a Canadian company after being an American company? Or were they Wendy's or Burger King then? So confusing! Well, at least the doughnuts are "always fresh" ... you can trust corporate North America ...

Lea (former employee of one of Canada's largest employers and who knew better than to stroll around parts of Toronto after dark)

Unfortunately, there are idiots everywhere. The only sane policy is to ignore them when you can and fight them when you must.
    ALWAYS plan for the worst, then you can be pleasantly surprised if something else happens!

"The important thing about the bear is not how well she dances, but that she dances at all." - Old Russian Proverb (with a gender change)

Quote Originally Posted by Beth-Lock View Post
    I will never go to the USA again or do business there. It is just not worth the worry. Sorry, but that is how I and likely others see it now.
    You too? Gosh.

Tell me, what are your news sources. What have you read, specifically that brought you to that conclusion.

Any other Canadians feel the same way as Paula and Beth?

... although I must admit that as a Canadian, I have many friends and family in Canada. We talk about politics and I do explain what is really going on here. Thank goodness they believe me, and stop thinking that the loud-mouths are going to be elected.

Oh and Beth, if you want to get a sense of what people are really experiencing when they go out, have a look at all the posts in the CD section and pay attention to the US locations. Their outings look pretty safe to me. I have not seen any reports of lynch mobs yet.
    Last edited by ReineD; 04-21-2016 at 05:08 AM.
    Reine

Quote Originally Posted by ReineD View Post
    Any other Canadians feel the same way as Paula and Beth?
    I can't say I will never visit the US again but I will admit that if I do I will carefully plot my routes based off of what I see unfold...

I spent last September-December managing a construction project in Geneva NY for my old employer and I have to say it was not a trip I care to remember. No nothing bad happened but I was on edge most of the time. This is only 5.5 hrs from where I live in Canada and the differences between the two in how I was perceived was night and day.

There is no chance I would go to NC or any other state that has these laws or even a history of these laws..

I've made it and love it Jennifer-GWN's Avatar
    Weighing in... Megan hit the nail,on the head and might address Reine's comments that it is safe. I travel a lot. Balanced between US and over seas. Not had any bad experiences in the US, in fact all good despite others suggesting that my state is very "to the right". The difference; however, for me when traveling to the US verses elsewhere is the level of anxiety that comes with it. You just never know when "something" is going to happen, a nut is going to call you out, someone's nose to get out of joint, whatever. The constant alway on guard IS the issue for me. Perhaps much of this is pracipitated by the media and the visible polarization that is developing, whatever. Does it curtail my travels to the US yes sadly.

Perhaps a bit more objective realization by some in the US to see how others outside the US actually see and perceive the state of affairs inside the US would lead to a "holy crap" moment and result in "we need to clean up our act" mentality.

2cents cdn / 1.5cents usd Jennifer
    I am who I am... I'm happy...I mean truly to the bone happy...and at peace with myself for the first time ever. I'm confident and content as the woman I am.

You're probably right. I wouldn't go to nc or miss right now with all of them all worked up.

Florida is ok, never a problem here, but I grew up in Georgia, I know the way many in those states behave. I know when they get worked up on anything they feel empowered. They behave more dangerously in groups. There is a legitimate reason to fear.
    Last edited by Angela Campbell; 04-21-2016 at 07:12 AM.
    All I ever wanted was to be a girl. Is that really asking too much?

Well, yet another 'Canada has crime too' response. I agree. We do.That wasn't the subject, and there can always be another thread on that.
    In the last ten days or so I went to my own support group (about 18 people), and I sat in on a friends (about 25). The ONLY subject at both was American politics. Sadly, it was unanimous, none will return to the States unless something major, and practically unimaginable takes place. Far more than a single election.

I will only say it one more time, then they can close this thread for all I care.

After the laws are overturned, the hate will remain. It didn't go away on the closing words of Martin Luther Kings 'I have a dream' speech. It's not going to go away for a long while. Hate ignites easily, and is VERY hard to extinguish.
    The consensus here is that if it doesn't happen in your nieghborhood, it isn't happening.
    I know when I have lost an argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Campbell View Post
    I know when they get worked up on anything they feel empowered. They behave more dangerously in groups. There is a legitimate reason to fear.
    That right there is what I fear the most as a Canadian. For the most part I am sure people will just ignore you if they disagree with who you are but with the current state of unrest in this issue its just not worth the risk running into someone/a group that may want to use you as an example.

When you see places like the UK issuing a travel advisory for LGBT people going to the southern states there is obviously going to be people just refuse to go there out of fear...

Amazing Member
    I think a lot of trans from outside, thinking of getting surgery in the USA up until now, will rebook, with the devastating bad news recently going around the world, choosing Montreal as their destination instead.

The American brand, as it concerns tourists and visitors, having recuperated from the high crime news from NYC of decades ago, is now ruined yet again. The bad feelings about the brand and the hatred and anger, roused among the "poorly educated" in the USA, against the LGBT community including LGBT tourists, will not go away for decades, even if all the bathroom laws are overturned or withdrawn right away. The politicians in the USA and elsewhere, including Canada, ought to learn the lesson from that, without having to experience it after passing that type of law, themselves, where they live. They should instead, even if they have not done anything, be passing laws that protect the LGBT community and letting law enforcement know that they must change their attitude too, to prevent their locality being tarred with the same brush.
    Last edited by Beth-Lock; 04-21-2016 at 11:19 AM.
    NOTICE: Any institutions or individuals using this site or any of its associated sites for studies, projects or any other reasons, PLEASE BE WARNED THAT You DO NOT have MY permission to use any of my profile or pictures in any form or ANY forum posts both current and future. If you have DONE THIS or do IT, I MAY consider IT a violation of my rights to privacy and it may as a result, even be the subject of the appropriate action, including steps permitted under the law involving courts and lawyers. Why not ask for my approval and permission first?

Banned Read only
    I think those that fear/are concerned with these "laws" in the US are putting way too much strength/value behind them and not looking at reality. These laws allow legal discrimination whereas last week/month/year, all those same people who can now discriminate legally, did so anyway. Nothing has changed. If someone does not want to serve me a meal because I am short, fat, male, white, ugly, whatever, then I will take my dollars elsewhere. THAT is what makes change. Good ole capitalism. A wedding photographer doesn't want your business because you're gay? Then why do YOU want to use them?

Using the bathroom? Well, I have never read about any person being stopped from using a facility, anywhere as it is largely impractical. And of course, some moron will make a stink somewhere as they have done last year and years before. Again, any new "laws" are not changing what has been and is happening in restroom today. Target's announcement will be followed by many others shortly.

Finally, it is important to remember that these "laws" will 1) be over turned,just like gay marriage and 2) are not the result of popular opinion or referendums driven by the citizens, they are driven by ignorant legislators with a vocal minority cheering section. Those morons will be gone in the next elections or will sing a new tune for sure. It will all be gone soon and largely because of capitalism and free speech.

There is nothing to fear in the US that does not exist everywhere else. The cover of a "law" does not make it exist.
    Last edited by Jenniferathome; 04-21-2016 at 11:51 AM.

Non-binary/Questioning
    I'm Canadian (actually, dual CAN-US citizen) and I have relatives in the US (FL & PA) that I try to visit at least once a year. While it's a beautiful country, I really don't like America on many levels, and this recent spate of moralistic conservatism just adds to that feeling. If I saw someone carrying a gun I'd probably leave the area immediately because I'd feel unsafe around them. Sometimes I fly a Pride flag on my car when I drive around Toronto, but I'd never do that in the States. I'm now thinking of travelling there less often than I did in the past. And I'm a white person who presents as fairly masculine, not a trans woman or person of colour. I'd renounce my US citizenship if it wasn't so damn inconvenient and expensive to do so.

Silver Member
    I think it is likely to only get worse.

It is now written into one political parties agenda to encourage state legislators to support anti trans laws. So there will only be more coming from them.

A list of activity this year that failed, but what will next year bring?

HAWAII
    House Bill 2181
    What it does: Creates sweeping exemptions allowing people and businesses to discriminate against transgender people and same-sex couples based on their religious or moral beliefs.
    House Bill 2532
    What it does: Creates sweeping exemptions allowing people and businesses to discriminate against transgender people and same-sex couples based on their religious or moral beliefs.
    INDIANA
    House Bill 1079
    What it does: Makes it a class B misdemeanor (a crime) for anyone above age 10 to use a restroom that does not match their sex assigned at birth.
    Senate Bill 35
    What it does: Requires students to use single-sex facilities (like restrooms and changing rooms) according to their sex assigned at birth, and requires schools to segregate all multi-user facilities by sex. Makes it a class A misdemeanor (a crime) for an adult to use single-sex facilities that does not match their sex assigned at birth in public buildings.
    KENTUCKY
    House Bill 364
    What it does: Requires students to use single-sex facilities (like restrooms and changing rooms) according to their sex assigned at birth.
    Statuts: Failed to move out of committee.
    MINNESOTA
    House File 3396
    What it does: Prohibits schools, employers and businesses from letting trans people use restrooms, changing rooms and other facilities according to their gender identity.
    Senate File 3002
    What it does: Prohibits schools, employers and businesses from letting trans people use restrooms, changing rooms and other facilities according to their gender identity.
    MISSISSIPPI
    House Bill 1258
    What it does: Makes it a felony to use a restroom that doesn't match someone's sex assigned assigned at birth, punishable by up to $5000 in fines and 5 years in prison, unless they can provide medical evidence that they've been on hormones for over a year.
    OKLAHOMA
    House Bill 1597
    What it does: Gives businesses a blank check to discriminate against LGBT people for any reason.
    House Bill 2215
    What it does: Requires marriage applicants to state on their application whether they have had transition-related surgery and have it recorded on their marriage license.
    House Bill 3049
    What it does: Requires students to use restrooms and locker rooms according to their sex assigned at birth (based on "physical difference" or chromosomes).
    Senate Bill 440
    What it does: Creates sweeping exemptions for businesses and organizations to discriminate based on their religious beliefs about "sex, gender or sexual orientation."
    Senate Bill 1014
    What it does: Makes it illegal for people to use restrooms that don’t match their “biological gender.”
    Senate Bill 1323
    What it does: Requires sex-specific student facilities to be segregated according to anatomy at birth, and withholds State Aid funds from schools that have sex-specific facilities and do not respond to a complaint by a parent or student according to the bill's requirements.
    OREGON
    House Bill 4061
    What it does: Prohibits the Oregon Medicaid program from covering the cost of transition-related puberty blockers, hormone treatment or surgeries for minors.
    SOUTH DAKOTA
    House Bill 1008
    What it does: Requires students to use single-sex facilities (like restrooms and changing rooms) according to their sex assigned at birth and requires schools to segregate all multi-user facilities by sex. Creates restrictions on when trans students can use single-user restrooms.
    Status: Governor vetoed bill after it passed in the legislature. Read the Governor's statement about why he vetoed the bill here. Legislators in the House failed to override the veto.
    House Bill 1107
    Status: Failed to move out of commitee in the Senate after passing in the House.
    House Bill 1112
    What it does: Overturns policy by the South Dakota High School Activities Association that required sports team to treat students according to their gender identity, and requires the Association to get the state legislature's consent before adopting any policies related to trans students.
    Status: Failed to move forward in the Senate after being passed in the House.
    House Bill 1209
    What it does: Requires schools and other public bodies to accept all the information on people's birth certificates as valid, including the name and gender listed there.
    TENNESSEE
    House Bill 2414
    What it does: Requires students in public schools, including public colleges and universities, to use restrooms and locker rooms according to their sex assigned at birth.
    VIRGINIA
    House Bill 77
    What it does: Says that violations of federal sex discrimination regulations, policies and rules adopted since 2012 are not violations of the Virginia Human Rights Act. This is a clever way of saying that the sex discrimination law in Virginia can’t be interpreted to cover LGBT people, like federal sex discrimination laws have been interpreted to do so by the Obama administration.
    House Bill 397
    What it does: Excludes discrimination based on gender identity from sex discrimination protections under the Human Rights Act. Forbids local governments and school districts from adopting more protective sex discrimination policies.
    House Bill 431
    What it does: Takes away trans’ people ability to change the gender on their birth certificates.
    House Bill 663
    What it does: Requires students to use single-sex facilities (like restrooms and changing rooms) according to their sex assigned at birth and imposes a fine for violation. Requires schools to segregate all multi-user facilities by sex. Creates restrictions on when trans students can use single-user restrooms.
    House Bill 781
    What it does: Requires students to use single-sex facilities (like restrooms and changing rooms) according to their sex assigned at birth and imposes a fine for violation. Requires schools to segregate all multi-user facilities by sex. Creates restrictions on when trans students can use single-user restrooms.
    WASHINGTON
    House Bill 2589
    What it does: Amends the state’s nondiscrimination law to away trans’ people ability to use single-sex facilities according to gender identity. Allows private and public entities to bar people from single-sex facilities based on their anatomy.
    House Bill 2782
    What it does: Amends the state’s nondiscrimination law to say that it does not give people the right to use facilities that are inconsistent with their anatomy or DNA.
    House Bill 2935
    What it does: Repeals a regulation that allows trans people to access facilities according to their gender identity and forbids the Washington Human Rights Commission from making any more regulations about access to single-sex facilities.
    House Bill 2941
    What it does: Requires students to use restrooms according to sex assigned at birth.
    Senate Bill 6443
    What it does: Repeals a regulation that allows trans people to access facilities according to their gender identity and forbids the Washington Human Rights Commission from making any more regulations about access to single-sex facilities.
    Senate Bill 6548
    What it does: Amends the state’s nondiscrimination law to away trans’ people ability to use single-sex facilities according to gender identity. Allows private and public entities to bar people from single-sex facilities based on their anatomy.
    WISCONSIN
    Assembly Bill 469
    What it does: Requires students to use single-sex facilities (like restrooms and changing rooms) according to their sex assigned at birth, and requires schools to segregate all multi-user facilities by sex. Creates restrictions on when trans students can use single-user restrooms.
    Senate Bill 582
    What it does: Requires students to use single-sex facilities (like restrooms and changing rooms) according to their sex assigned at birth.
    WYOMING
    House Bill 98

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

The ones that are still active this year:

MASSACHUSETTS
    House Bill 1320
    What it does: Requires people to access single-sex facilities (like restrooms, changing rooms and living accommodations) and educational, athletic and therapeutic programs according to their “anatomical sex.”
    MICHIGAN
    House Resolution 0264
    What it does: Urges the State Board of Education to reject their proposed guidance on making LGBTQ students safe and supported.
    MINNESOTA

MISSISSIPPI

House Bill 1523
    What this bill does: Creates sweeping exemptions allowing people and businesses to discriminate against transgender people and same-sex couples based on their religious or moral beliefs.

MISSOURI

House Bill 1624
    What it does: Requires students to use single-sex facilities (like restrooms and changing rooms) according to their sex assigned at birth (unless they get permission by the school’s superintendent) and requires schools to segregate all multi-user facilities by sex.
    House Bill 1847
    What it does: Requires all public restrooms (except for single-stall restrooms) to be segregated by gender.
    House Bill 2303
    What it does: Requires students to use single-sex facilities (like restrooms and changing rooms) according to their sex assigned at birth. Allows some trans students to use empty single-sex facilities when accompanied by a school administrator.
    Senate Bill 720
    What it would do: Requires schools to make all multi-user facilities male-only or female-only, and requires students to use single-sex facilities according to their sex assigned at birth. Creates restrictions on when trans students can use single-user restrooms.

SOUTH CAROLINA

House Bill 4761
    What it does: Requires students to participate in sports teams according to the sex marked on their birth certificate.
    Status: Referred to Committee on Education and Public Works
    Senate Bill 0108
    What it does: Denies transgender people in prisons access to medically necessary transition-related care.
    Senate Bill 1203
    What it does: Requires people to use restrooms in schools and other buildings on public property according to their sex assigned at birth and prohibits local governments from adopting different policies.
    Status: Referred to General Senate Committee. A subcommittee held a hearing on April 13 and 14 and will send the bill to the full committee soon.

TENNESSEE

House Bill 2600
    What it does: Voids any vital record documents, like marriage licenses and birth certificates, if they have a gender marker that doesn’t match a person’s sex assigned at birth.
    Senate Bill 2275
    What it does: Voids any vital record documents, like marriage licenses and birth certificates, if they have a gender marker that doesn’t match a person’s sex assigned at birth.
    Senate Bill 2387
    What it does: Requires students in public schools, including public colleges and universities, to use restrooms and locker rooms according to their sex assigned at birth.
    Status: Passed out of Senate Education Committee and sent to Senate Finance, Way and Means Committee. It'll be up for a vote on April 18.

WASHINGTON

The bills in Washington have been introduced, but a ballot initiative has been filed by anti-trans groups in Washington. They'll need at least 246,372 signatures by July 8 to get this initiative on the November ballot.

Banned Read only
    So I'm a half-full glass kind of guy and I would argue the opposite. Once a bill has failed, it's really hard to rally the moral indignation required to make a another go of it. Don't get m wrong, moronic legislators will still pander to the same groups but it will be bluster and noise.

I think what is more likely to happen is that any one of the passed laws will be deemed unconstitutional and ALL the others will be nullified. Just like gay marriage. It took time, but the weight of what is simply right prevailed.

Untitled
    This thread has gone way off from the opening post, time to say farewell and consign it to the closed category
    Listen carefully to what is said, quite often you can hear what is not being said

The joy of correcting a mistake can bring pain to another