Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting HRT this Sunday

Starting HRT this Sunday

With the third downward spiral in six months since starting to realize things, I decided to call up my endo. We played phone tag over the weekend. It was mostly to alleviate some fears as I have an elevated bilirubin. She's going to watch it but isn't concerned with things for now. I'll be taking pills rather than injections or patches.

The dysphoria has been so badly of late. I'm having trouble getting through the day at work.

I'm temping, too. I've been there over a month. I'm starting HRT on Sunday. How long can I realistically wait before telling them that I'm trans?
    I'm a nice Jewish girl.

I'm not a girl, Not yet a woman.

Miss D,

As always the standard answer is YMMV when it comes to seeing the effects of HRT. You could go 6 months or your could go 6 years before the need to tell arises...

I guess my only question would be in your last couple of posts you mentioned that you were delaying HRT because you knew you wanted biological children. Have you come to terms with the fact HRT will remove that option from you unless you freeze your stuff.

I've been on HRT for a year and I purposely pass as male in most situations to stay married. No one has said anything to me openly about the body changes but my wife. It did calm my dysphoria, so I say go for it and deal with work down the road for now. Good luck!
    Be yourself. Everyone else is taken!

Quote Originally Posted by Megan G View Post
    I guess my only question would be in your last couple of posts you mentioned that you were delaying HRT because you knew you wanted biological children. Have you come to terms with the fact HRT will remove that option from you unless you freeze your stuff.
    Freezing just wasn't in the budget. I tried delaying until it was in the budget.

It sucks but the alternative would be my emotional/mental health worsening and I don't want to be a statistic.
    I'm a nice Jewish girl.

I started on a low dose of HRT a year ago and have steadily upped it and the blockers during that time. I've been on a "non-low" dose (it's all person-dependent) since October. I can still 100% pass a male if I want to (if you keep facial hair it is a huge sign of male), but I don't really want to hide it anymore. It's a growing dislike of hiding and I've found over the last couple of months that I simply don't want to spend the effort on it... so I'm now going through a checklist of items I need to do in order to "be ready" to come out at work.

Like any of this it's YMMV, but from my own experience it is entirely possible to hide changes to your body if that is your desire. Sometimes it requires a sports bra under a tight undershirt under a slightly large collared shirt, but it's far from impossible.
    - Arianna

I don't want to hide the changes....
    I'm a nice Jewish girl.

That is great news, congratulations

Quote Originally Posted by MissDanielle View Post
    How long can I realistically wait before telling them that I'm trans?
    Quote Originally Posted by MissDanielle
    I don't want to hide the changes....
    Sorry! I thought you were asking how long it would be before you >HAD< to tell them (them being work in this case). It's completely up to you. Tell when you want to, not before.
    - Arianna

I'm going to enjoy the mile long walk to the restroom!
    I'm a nice Jewish girl.

Go to it, girl. I am not far behind you. First therapy appointment Monday!
    Carries a spray bottle of "pink fog" around with her in her purse at all times.

Gold Member
    no need to tell them anything unless you change your name while at that job.
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

Cheaper to change my name back in Kentucky than it is in Illinois...
    I'm a nice Jewish girl.

I also have a appointment with the Endo Dr. on the 23 th of May .
    I have to hide things for awhile but am getting pretty sick of letting others control my life .
    I was wondering what age others are that are starting on HRT? I am 71 and often think I have missed the HRT Happy boat.

a lot are younger these days...

how long does it take for dysphoria/depression to go away?
    I'm a nice Jewish girl.

Miss Danielle, and Terri- good questions with no set answers. No single physical effect, or mental relief is guaranteed.
    Alot of girls start feeling relief from GD within weeks, some never do. Sorry.
    Physical changes at any age are a crapshoot. I had great facial changes, and female hair ptterns by four months, but after eighteen, still no boobage.
    Despite that, most of the girls I know love HRT. Good luck.

Ymmv?
    - Arianna

Gold Member
    Very much so. I would guess that it depends on what triggers you the most. But I would hate to box it in to just that. Plus we may always find new triggers. It is so hard to predict but be optimistic as you will be heading in the right direction!

I started my 4th week on Sunday. I feel amazing. My boobs are just starting to bud and feel heavier even if they don't look like they've grown any. Outside of my skinny jeans and soon-to-be-delivered bermuda shorts, I'm not wearing much womens' clothing outside while clearly presenting male.

My depression was kicked by the end of the first week.

I've completed four sessions of laser and the bulk of remaining hairs are located in the goatee area. I'd prefer to afford another groupon so as to clear off as many hairs before undergoing the pain that is electro. I've heard that HRT will lighten facial hairs. Is that true?

I'm very close to just coming out on Facebook. I've been posting a lot of trans links of late in light of all the news out there but vague-booking tends to get old rather quickly.
    I'm a nice Jewish girl.

Quote Originally Posted by MissDanielle View Post
    I've heard that HRT will lighten facial hairs. Is that true?
    I have been on HRT for over 4 years and I still shave my face daily. Fortunately I do not have a beard shadow since my whiskers are light in color. On the other hand my body hair became much finer so I don't have to shave my legs very often.

It takes a very long time to develop breasts. I guess I'm lucky - I now wear 40DD bras for my natural breasts. I guess I inherited that feature from my paternal grandmother.
    Last edited by JohnH; 05-25-2016 at 05:14 PM.
    John (Legal name)

Preferred pronouns: he, his, him

Today's update: I CAME OUT ON FACEBOOK. I'm not out at work so I'm not changing profile name or gender any time soon. I'm not starting a second page. The reaction has been very positive
    I'm a nice Jewish girl.

Quote Originally Posted by ariannavt View Post
    Ymmv?
    Your Mileage May Vary. Shorthand for your experience may not be the same as others.

History, originated in car advertisements that used US Government fuel mileage figures. Many found those figures optimistic. Some found them misleading. The lawyers felt it was best to include a disclaimer in the auto adverts as to Your Mileage May Vary.
    Jenn A --- nothing fancy, just me.

Quote Originally Posted by jenna116 View Post
    Your Mileage May Vary. Shorthand for your experience may not be the same as others.

History, originated in car advertisements that used US Government fuel mileage figures. Many found those figures optimistic. Some found them misleading. The lawyers felt it was best to include a disclaimer in the auto adverts as to Your Mileage May Vary.

Thanks Jenna. I was actually responding to I Am Paula's note above mine suggesting this is an example of "YMMV."
    - Arianna

Gold Member
    Hormones are not going to cause changes so big that you would have to come out at work anytime soon.

It is more "wishful thinking" on the part of most TS when they believe the changes are gonna be so great that people will even notice.

Pesonally, it seems to me that HRT is mostly a gimmick. Kind of like the latest weight loss supplement or those steroid alternatives you find in health food stores. All these things might make a slight difference (on a good day) but nothing life changing.
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

Woman first, Trans second
    Umm, no... HRT is definitely YMMV in a lot of ways, and the big changes happen over months and years rather than days and weeks, but for a lot of people the changes can end up being pretty dramatic. Fat shifting alone can make a huge difference. Both my body and face actually look pretty damn different. I'm recognizable to people who knew me well enough before and care to look closely, but there's been a lot of change (and it's still happening).

I won't post comparison pictures in a public forum, but it's significant.

That's not even scratching the surface though, because the mental and emotional changes... Even more significant.
    Last edited by Zooey; 05-30-2016 at 04:23 PM.
    Coming out is like discovering that you've been drowning your whole life after actually breathing air for the first time.

I've made it and love it Jennifer-GWN's Avatar
    Wishful thinking... A gimmick... SERIOUSLY!!!! OMG I think I'm going to melt down. Nichole Erin... What ever precipitated that comment? OMG!
    I am who I am... I'm happy...I mean truly to the bone happy...and at peace with myself for the first time ever. I'm confident and content as the woman I am.