Thread: It's amazing what you can do when you don't think too much about it

It's amazing what you can do when you don't think too much about it

Hello all,

I just had an amazing day today that came really out of the blue. I've been feeling the "pink fog" pretty bad lately but have not had time to do anything about it so just kept on normal life as usual. There is an event coming up in a few weeks that I really want to go to that is kind of like an "alternative ball". Not BDSM leather/latex kind of thing a bit more vanilla but always a lot of t-girls attend an excuse to get dressed up in some finery. I have been researching dresses and gowns online to purchase as I have absolutely no formal wear at the moment.

This morning before work while having a coffee I came across a slinky maxi silk slip dress by Ghost (a UK brand) on their website. It stopped me dead in my tracks. It just looked so beautiful on the model in the photos. It looked like it would feel amazing to wear. I thought about ordering one to be delivered to my home but I wasn't sure about the sizes?

Then a voice came over me "what if you went to a store and tried one on and purchase it there". I felt this amazing excitement rush through my body. I looked for the usual excuses but they all seemed to be missing it was as if all the planets aligned. One of my housemates is away travelling and the other has a 9-5 so if I did not go in to work I would have the house to myself until the evening and there were 2 potential stores within a half hour walk that might stock the dress I'm looking for. It has been over a year since I have been out in the daytime dressed enfemme and I have only ever been out a couple of times before. One of my New Years resolutions was to open myself up to my femme side a bit more and have more experiences. I thought as I sipped my coffee and looked out the window at the sunshine well why not today?

I quickly emailed my supervisor at work to notify him that I can't make it to the office today but can work from home to which he replied "not a problem at all don't worry about it and have a nice weekend". I waited for my housemate to leave for work then wow! I thought let's do this!

I had a shower and shaved pretty much everywhere. Did my make up and put a plain black skater dress on with black tights and black flat ballet style shoes. I did my wig and fortunately it was still sunny outside so I could wear sunglasses always helps with being self consciousness and nervousness.

To make sure it wasn't a wasted journey I called one of the dept stores first and got transferred to the correct dept. I was soooo nervous when the lady answered. I couldn't actually get any sound out for the first few seconds as she kept saying hello. Then I said hello. I asked her if she had this particular dress and colour in stock and to my delight she said yes. I said thank you and was going to leave it at that but then a strange confidence came over me and I kept going. I explained to her I was asking for myself as I am trans and asked if it would be ok to come in and possibly purchase it today. She sounded lovely and said of course you can we are very happy to help with anything, she gave me her name and said to ask for her when I get there.

I threw my heels into my bag (the ones I will be wearing to the alternative ball to try on with the dress). Shit then I realized I don't have a casual jacket so I borrowed my house mates biker jacket that was lying in the living room it looked really great on.

I think I stood at the front door with my hand on the handle for at least 10 mins no joke. My heart was beating out of my chest but the excitement was outweighing the nerves and all I kept thinking was when am I ever going to get a better chance than this go for it!!

I waited until it was quiet outside then pulled the handle down stepped out locked the door behind me and started walking. It only got 2 funny looks all the way to the store and passed lots of people. As I walked into the dept store I had to figure out where the dept was, (all the different brands have there own mini section within the lady dept.) so I walked around twice or three times and started to panic thinking I can't find it then I noticed a section of the floor in the corner that looked like formal dresses so I went over there and found the Ghost section. I started looking through the dresses when the SA came over and asked if she could help (it was still early and not many people about). I'm pretty sure she knew me straight away from the phone conversation but was too polite to make it obvious. I seen her name badge and then introduced myself. I felt really awkward inside but kept talking anyway. She walked me to the rail that had the slip dresses. They were in different colours and looked so pretty as they hung so shiny and brand new. I asked her what size would suit me, she had a good look and pulled off a s and m saying probably the small would suit as they don't have any zips on them and I had the figure for a small.

I walked into the dressing room pulled the curtain behind me and let out a sigh. Wow I thought, how amazing is this. I carefully took off my clothes trying so much to not mess my wig up. I stepped into the small dress and pulled it up onto my shoulders. I can't even explain how amazing the feeling was. My legs started to get weak and my knees were knocking against each other. It looked so perfect and felt amazing. I sat down and put my heels on and stood up again admiring how it hugged my body and fell all the way elegantly to the ground. I didn't need to even try the m sized dress on.

I put my clothes back on checked myself in the mirror and walked out up to the sales desk. "It's perfect" I said and the SA smiled and said great. She folded the dress neatly and put it in a bag. As I walked out I felt so over the moon happy. I practically danced all the way home and even had the confidence to buy a coffee on the way.

What I realized was that if I had more time to plan that whole experience I would have found a fault somewhere in there and prob not gone ahead with it but with the clock ticking and limited time I had to take action quickly which made for an amazing experience and many more to come xx

What an amazing story. So glad that you got the dress - I looked it up online and it is beautiful. I'm sure you'll have a great time at your event.
    Reine

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Sometimes its best to go with it and not over analyze things.

Quote Originally Posted by ReineD View Post
    What an amazing story. So glad that you got the dress - I looked it up online and it is beautiful. I'm sure you'll have a great time at your event.
    Thank you ReineD! Was an amazing day I still feel like my mind is in the clouds somewhere, haha. Yes I can't wait now just gonna get some accessories now. It was in this colour as I'm wearing closed toe pointy black heels with it x

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Tracii G View Post
    Sometimes its best to go with it and not over analyze things.
    Absolutely Tracii you are sooooo right! I over analyze everything and it really holds me back. If you look for a fault/problem in something you search long enough you will find something.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Oh you got the black one? Somehow I pictured you in the cream. The black is beautiful too!
    Reine

Quote Originally Posted by ReineD View Post
    Oh you got the black one? Somehow I pictured you in the cream. The black is beautiful too!
    Aw thank you. Yea it's more a greeny/blue colour looks darker on the screen although it is available in black also. Yes the cream is beautiful too but I'm quite clumsy with spilling drinks/food and God knows so safer option to go dark, haha x

Thanks for sharing to purchase story - it is a great dress (quite envious you can wear a small)

Quote Originally Posted by bridget thronton View Post
    Thanks for sharing to purchase story - it is a great dress (quite envious you can wear a small)
    Thanks Bridget, you are very welcome I felt compelled to share the story as I have no one to share the experience with that's what I really love about this site. I'm genetically quite lucky and I do really appreciate it and don't take it for granted!

What a wonderful story and inspiring too! Thank you!

What a great story, and a beautiful dress, i know you will have a wonderful time out wearing it and feeling pretty, i hope your ball is a great event for you, and can't wait to hear your story about it. hugs. girl
    [SIZE="3"][/SIZE][SIZE="3"]Stacy Lynn Coral[/SIZE]

What an awesome story! I'm so happy for you. Except the part about fitting into a small -- I hate you for that. But otherwise it sounds wonderful. I recognize all those feelings including the triumph at the end. And you're going to slay them in that dress.

Banned Read only
    Elliemoss,
    It's always good to read other people's stories, thanks for taking the trouble to tell us. It is a lovely dress and I hope you get a lot of use out of it.
    I didn't give myself the luxury of standing at the door, I just went for it, but then I had to sit in the car for ten minutes while the windscreen cleared of ice and condensation

One question, the SA was so helpful why didn't you show her to get a second opinion, lets face it she wouldn't have minded, she was going to sell one or the other to you.

You realise you've given yourself another problem and that is what are you going to wear over it when you travel to the venue ? Do they do neat matching jackets , I have a dress that reveals the same amount at the top and luckily it came with a matching jacket , I was grateful for it because the night I wore it the temperature was just above freezing point !

I've just looked on the UK site for Ghost, they do matching shrugs and wraps. Boy ! You've got expensive taste, the dress alone add to that between £65.00-£95.00 for something to compliment it and keep your shoulders warm !
    Last edited by Teresa; 04-30-2016 at 09:59 AM.

aw thank you all,very glad you enjoyed reading about the experience, like I said earlier I have no one at the moment in my life to talk about these things that's why I really love this forum. Yes Teresa that would have been a nice thing to ask but my mind was going a mile a minute I never even thought to take a photo in the mirror, hopefully next time I'll be a bit more calm and composed. Yes that is very true. I'm looking at Boleros on ebay to wear it with and a nice choker style necklace. I do have a black evening jacket to wear too so I'll be ready!

That is awesome, and good advice. That's the only way I got out was by sneaking up on myself. I think too much.

Great story. Got quite excited reading it as if I was doing it myself. Glad you liked the dress, I always want a happy ending to any story!

Sandy
    Last edited by Sandyhappygirl; 05-10-2016 at 11:47 AM.

Great story! Bet it looks great on you! Have fun wearing it out!

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    Congratulations and thanks for the great story. I don't know how many times I froze with my hand on the door knob and let it turn me back toward the closet. You are stronger than you were before. You go girl!
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

I agree overthinking some situations leads to the colly wobbles. :-)
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Silver Member
    Super story! Perfect outcome, too! Thanks for sharing. Your SA did her job perfectly as well. That's to say, she treated you with the same respect she gives every other customer. But you didn't say what her reaction was when she saw you in the dress. Did you not model it for her?That's important for two reasons. First, she has a trained eye and can tell you exactly how it works on you in all respects besides just the fit. Many times, my SA has put me into a different size, color or even style based on that first look. I've even had them say "Meh! I've seen better on you" and convince me not to buy it and save my money for another time.

But you did say it was perfect, didn't you? So on to my second point, just showing it off. It's a fantastic feeling to have someone tell you that you look at great as you feel. And they want to see you on that dress, too!

Thank Suzanne.

I guess I felt that I didn't want to bother the SA anymore than I needed too and she walked off in the diection of the till area when I entered the changing rooms as I'm pretty sure she was looking after the dept. herself.

Great story that is very inspiring. Glad you were able to have the courage to do this.