Thread: I think I saw an F-T-M trans person yesterday, and I was in awe...

I think I saw an F-T-M trans person yesterday, and I was in awe...

While shopping at a major retailer yesterday that specializes in selling automotive products, lawn equipment and gardening supplies, sporting goods, household products as well as paint, plumbing, and electrical supplies ("Canadian Tire" for my Canuck friends here ), I spotted what I can only assume was a transman SA. If so, respect and more power to them, but the circumstances of my encounter were a bit unusual...

I was in the Garden Centre section of the store (in drab) looking for a replacement lawn mower blade, all of which were arrayed on a stand-alone racking unit in the middle aisle. The area was also pretty much devoid of other people aside from myself at that time. As I was looking over the selection of blades on display there for the right size, type, and brand etc. I heard what appeared to be a female voice coming over from the other side and consisting of a series of prolonged grunts, "ooh's", and sighs. At first, I paid no attention, but these noises continued on and on to the point of being very noticeable, if not downright annoying. To be honest, it was beginning to sound a lot like a woman in the throes of a series of intense orgasms (think "When Harry Met Sally" here ), and of course, my curiosity got the better of me. With that, I discretely made my way to the end of the racking unit to peer over to the other side to see what was going on there. All I could see was what appeared to be a young-ish (age 25 -30) male SA who was busy re-arranging a display of bulky boxed (and presumably - heavy) chainsaws, but with no female in sight. "That's odd" I thought to myself, but as I looked past him, I did see a GG customer rounding the far end of the display and heading away from me, also apparently looking for something that she couldn't find at first glance. I drew the obvious conclusion that it must have been her making those noises, yet something still didn't quite add up since she was not anywhere near anything heavy, and her cart was empty.

The next thing I saw was this SA heading over to her to ask if they could be of assistance, and I heard the now-familiar female voice again, only this time, it was clearly coming from the SA! I did an immediate double-take, but sure enough, that was where it was coming from. And when I say "female voice", I mean female voice - ...not just the pitch, but the rhythm, the intonation, the cadence - the works. The only thing missing was the "up-speak" that GG's often typically engage in. I actually closed my eyes for a moment so as not to be influenced by any distracting visuals and sure enough - it still sounded like an unmistakably female voice, and not just an unusually high-pitched male voice. So that's what it was...THIS was the person making all those grunting noises before while struggling with all those heavy boxes! Who'da thunk it???

I continued on with my business after that, still perplexed over what I had just seen and heard. I soon found myself in another part of the store, and lo and behold! - there was that voice again, this time with said SA walking right past me while conversing with someone else over their in-house mobile phone. And then it hit me...

Clearly, it would be highly unlikely for a genetic male to have that as their normal speaking voice - not even gay males who sometimes have a propensity to emulate female speech patterns when they speak, albeit still within the lower ranges. Was this person an F-T-M transsexual then who had recently transitioned, but whose voice hadn't been fully affected by the hormones? And yet - everything about this person screamed MALE! The angular facial features, the slim body with a noticeable absence of curves, wispy, thinning hair, a moderate amount of facial hair, and unmistakeable male body language.

Naturally, I followed the classic Star Trek "Prime Directive" here, maintained a discrete presence, and said nothing to this person that would in any way indicate my suspicions that things might not be what they seemed, even when we did interact briefly later on. On the contrary, I was secretly full of awe and amazement at the way that they had managed to live an authentic life, especially if it meant dealing with the general public on a daily basis, and despite the challenges that a gender non-conforming voice could present under those circumstances. Well done, indeed!

And we run-of-the-mill crossdressers worry about "passing" or "blending in...???

I know some truly great FtM's. They seem to always have a wonderful personality. Testosterone sure does a great job.

I have a friend, 45 yr old male, always been a male, who has the most amazing female voice. He knows it and jokes that it ruined his dream of radio broadcasting. His job includes public speaking and everyone is caught off guard first time they hear him. He can't even sound like a dude.
    Live and let dress.

Banned Read only
    Leslie if you were in drab any chance the SA picked up on it (male wearing some female clothes)? Could have led to some interesting conversation.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Drab is boy mode Miss D.
    I have run across a few FtM's that looked male but had female voices and some that didn't.

I see quite a few around in my area. I deal with two that sell auto parts. Both try very hard to satisfy customers, I admire them, actually.

My god daughter is now my god son. He transitioned in his early 20's. He also recently had top surgery which he accomplished by saving his money from working at a pizza place, no insurance involved. It is very admirable of him and shows his level of commitment. He was a beautiful girl but now is a great looking guy!

I think folks like us are more tuned in to this kind of thing.

I know plenty of mechanical minded XX's, some not even slightly 'butch'.

And just so it is said Leslie, those 'effeminate' males are not speaking in a particular fashion to prove a point, that is just how they are. Gender and interest lines get oddly crossed in presentation.

<3

- MM
    - Madame Moose - on my way to Anne
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    "I yam what I yam and tha's all what I yam." -- Popeye the Sailor
    "If I am not for myself, who will be for me? And when I am for myself, what am 'I'? And if not now, when?" - Hillel the Elder

Quote Originally Posted by Leslie Langford View Post
    Was this person an F-T-M transsexual then who had recently transitioned, but whose voice hadn't been fully affected by the hormones? And yet - everything about this person screamed MALE! The angular facial features, the slim body with a noticeable absence of curves, wispy, thinning hair, a moderate amount of facial hair, and unmistakeable male body language.
    Recently met a younger FtM, preferred male pronouns and name, but said he is mostly Gender Non-confirming. Has some tattoos, one that incorporates prior female name and current name upside down to each other, slim body, not too tall, earrings, long hair colored with blue streaks. Has a slightly lower voice and a wispy light beard. We discussed HRT and his top surgery, always a concern because of scaring and nipple placement. Definitely NOT gender fluid and definitely NOT all male or female presentation.

Which goes to show WE are all different, whether FtM or MtF.

Related my pre or early transition, never thought of it then but I was probably gender non-confirming for awhile. Knew I was not male, and didn't want to play that game anymore. I had thoughts along the mixing of presentation, but knew there was no place in the corporate world in the 70s, and NO legal protections.
    Last edited by Georgette_USA; 05-02-2016 at 10:39 PM.

Leslie, I appreciate your post and sentiments, I do agree with your approach or lack of it.

For me these days "I tawt I thaw a puddy cat" always springs to mind. :-)
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.