Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LGBT label appropriate for the gender spectrum?

"a house divided cannot stand"

Just about the best quote ever for here.

I am seriously questioning LGB vs T.

I'm beginning to think T is like that friend you let sleep on the couch.

Aside from my entire line of questioning T existing as a concept. We might kind of just be ourselves.

I don't need permission to wear a dress. I don't need yours, I don't need theirs.

Nice couch.
    - Madame Moose - on my way to Anne
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    "I yam what I yam and tha's all what I yam." -- Popeye the Sailor
    "If I am not for myself, who will be for me? And when I am for myself, what am 'I'? And if not now, when?" - Hillel the Elder

Banned Read only
    mm:

As I've said before, the foundation of political/social movements is Strength of Numbers. For various reasons, we are a largely closeted community. Be "we" I mean Crossdressers, Transgender folks in the middle of the spectrum and Transsexuals. Likely then, the vast majority are not involved in any sort of activism. I am not trying to criticize; just defining the situation as it exists.

From an activism standpoint, I could easily align myself with bisexuals. It is also an identity that I claim. However, as related to sheer numbers, I think whatever effort I put into the Transgender community will have more impact. I suspect that the vast majority of us would not relate to the LGB part in terms of identity. So, regardless of what label they might choose (or not choose), where else would they fit?

DeeAnn

Quote Originally Posted by mechamoose View Post
    Yah, I am. I'm NOT crossdressing, I'm just dressing.
    Right on, Moose! I'm totally there with you, but it takes a while to get to here and not everyone is going to arrive at this spot. Some will stay CD and that's OK. Some will discover they're TS and that's OK. I suppose it's possible that some will find out that it was all just a big misunderstanding and will wander off. If that happens, it's OK too. You gotta let people be people.

But the question on the floor was (as I read it) is it correct for T to be in LGBT? I say yes, because the movement wasn't started as an academic exercise, the movement was started by the people who were all in the same room together when the cops kicked the door in. I know this with certainty because my uncles were some of those cops. And we are all still fighting that fight. And now that it seems like we might be winning, it's even more important that we all stay together. Even the closeted can help by just having a positive attitude and not participating in or approving of intolerant behaviors. The needle has moved to the point where you can be disapproving without outing yourselves.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by flatlander_48 View Post
    I suspect that the vast majority of us would not relate to the LGB part in terms of identity. So, regardless of what label they might choose (or not choose), where else would they fit?
    Let me modify this thought...

I think significant numbers of us, from one end of the spectrum to the other, do relate to the LGB part in that any sexuality can be claimed by folks anywhere under the Transgender umbrella. While there are likely some statistical clusters, anyone can be anywhere.

DeeAnn