Thread: May 22nd...

Banned Read only

May 22nd...

For the next 50 minutes, or so, it is still May 22nd here in California. And, while many things of significance have likely happened on the 22nd of May, of particular note is that it is the birthday of Harvey Milk. He would have been 86 today.

Within the last 150 years, or so, there has been a lot of social change. For those of us involved in this work in current times, we can draw upon the thoughts, deeds and strategies of people like Mohandas Ghandi, Dr. Martin Luther King, Ceasar Chavez and Delores Huerta and Harvey Milk. There are many useful and thoughtful quotes from all of the above, but today we will focus on Milk. At the 1978 San Francisco Gay Freedom Day Parade, he said:

On this anniversary of Stonewall, I ask my gay sisters and brothers to make the commitment to fight. For themselves, for their freedom, for their country ... We will not win our rights by staying quietly in our closets ... We are coming out to fight the lies, the myths, the distortions. We are coming out to tell the truths about gays, for I am tired of the conspiracy of silence, so I'm going to talk about it. And I want you to talk about it. You must come out. Come out to your parents, your relatives.

As the phrase goes, SS-DD. Exchange Transgender for Gay in the text and the ideas are still just as valid 38 years later as we continue to be the targets for lies, myths and distortions. In that same year, he also said:

I cannot prevent anyone from getting angry, or mad, or frustrated. I can only hope that they'll turn that anger and frustration and madness into something positive, so that two, three, four, five hundred will step forward, so the gay doctors will come out, the gay lawyers, the gay judges, gay bankers, gay architects ... I hope that every professional gay will say 'enough', come forward and tell everybody, wear a sign, let the world know. Maybe that will help.

In the same time frame, other activists were having similar thoughts. Audre Lorde was a Black lesbian poet who was taken from us well before her time. Her words have always resonated with me ever since I read the following passage close to 30 years ago.

When I dare to be powerful - to use my strength in the service of my vision, then it becomes less and less important whether I am afraid.

Lorde died from cancer in 1992. Her illness, and her perceptions about it, was the source of inspiration of a body of work she called The Cancer Journals. In one part she said:

I was going to die, sooner or later, whether or not I had even spoken myself. My silences had not protected me. Your silences will not protect you.... What are the words you do not yet have? What are the tyrannies you swallow day by day and attempt to make your own, until you will sicken and die of them, still in silence? We have been socialized to respect fear more than our own need for language."

I began to ask each time: "What's the worst that could happen to me if I tell this truth?" Unlike women in other countries, our breaking silence is unlikely to have us jailed, "disappeared" or run off the road at night. Our speaking out will irritate some people, get us called bitchy or hypersensitive and disrupt some dinner parties. And then our speaking out will permit other women to speak, until laws are changed and lives are saved and the world is altered forever.

Next time, ask: What's the worst that will happen? Then push yourself a little further than you dare. Once you start to speak, people will yell at you. They will interrupt you, put you down and suggest it's personal. And the world won't end.

And the speaking will get easier and easier. And you will find you have fallen in love with your own vision, which you may never have realized you had. And you will lose some friends and lovers, and realize you don't miss them. And new ones will find you and cherish you. And you will still flirt and paint your nails, dress up and party, because, as I think Emma Goldman said, "If I can't dance, I don't want to be part of your revolution." And at last you'll know with surpassing certainty that only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth. And that is not speaking.

Anyway, items to consider...

RIP Harvey and Audre.

DeeAnn
    Last edited by DAVIDA; 05-23-2016 at 04:58 AM. Reason: Moderated actions are not discussed on the open forum.

Good post DeeAnn

Banned Read only
    Loved reading that DeeAnn, thank you for sharing!

"When I dare to be powerful - to use my strength in the service of my vision, then it becomes less and less important whether I am afraid."

When I dare to be powerful.

When *I* dare

to be POWERFUL

That is so strong.

It reminds me of my favorite John Wayne quote: "Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."
    Last edited by mechamoose; 05-23-2016 at 09:46 AM.
    - Madame Moose - on my way to Anne
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    "I yam what I yam and tha's all what I yam." -- Popeye the Sailor
    "If I am not for myself, who will be for me? And when I am for myself, what am 'I'? And if not now, when?" - Hillel the Elder

Banned Read only
    Thank you ladies! I appreciate your comments very much and I'll offer a bit of insight as to how it sits for me.

I'm sure you've heard the phrase about money burning a hole in your pocket. Idea being that you just have to spent that money. Sometimes words are like that to me. I have no choice but to let them come out. Not doing that is painful; like an opportunity lost.

Last Friday I attended the Annual Harvey Milk Diversity Breakfast over in Palm Springs, or more specifically, DeeAnn attended (and was looking good!). It was a great reminder of where we've been, where we are and where we need to be. It was also a personal reminder that part of the reason that we chose to move here was the active LGBT community and becoming involved in it.

I can't say that I remember where I was or what I was doing when I heard that Milk and Moscone had been shot. But, I do remember being totally shocked by it. It brought back memories of President Kennedy, Dr. King and Robert Kennedy and the message was "Is this now how we will change the course of History?" and "Is this how we deal with disagreement?". The only thing was that there wasn't much time to think about it as not long after, we were presented with the horror of Jim Jones, The People's Temple and hundreds of deaths. Funny how extraordinarily sad events can get overshadowed by more extraordinary and sadder events.

Anyway, the Breakfast was an excellent event and very moving. I mentioned Delores Huerta. She gave the keynote speech and was an award recipient. She founded or co-founded various farm worker organizations and this eventually led to co-founding what became the United Farm Workers with Cesar Chavez in 1962. Her list of accomplishments would fill a book, but it's amazing that she and her husband found time to have 11 children along the way. I guess it wasn't just all organizing and protesting! Great person who is still hard at it. Good for you Ms.Huerta!

mm:

Yes, Audre Lorde did write some amazing things. I think, in many cases, she was writing as she discovered these truths about herself and the World at large. So it isn't just what she saw, it is how she felt and how she responded. I agree about courage and I would add:

Heros are not born. They are forged by the circumstances surrounding them.

DeeAnn
    Last edited by flatlander_48; 05-23-2016 at 09:49 AM.

Someone was so overwhelmed that the only option they saw was a bullet.

How strong do you have to be for an opponent to see THAT as their only option?

Not looking for more violence, but maybe, MAYBE, our words and presence are THAT disruptive. We should be. Shake them the F up.

We might kind of be in your world NOW, you just don't know it.

This is more of an LGB thing than a T thing. I'm totally B and have no apologies for it. Our T members might be kind of confused.
    - Madame Moose - on my way to Anne
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    "I yam what I yam and tha's all what I yam." -- Popeye the Sailor
    "If I am not for myself, who will be for me? And when I am for myself, what am 'I'? And if not now, when?" - Hillel the Elder

Banned Read only
    I think there is much to draw upon from the LGB (and I am B also) part of the community. On our side, I think very few people have had any meaningful contact with activism. We have all spent (and continue to in many cases) considerable time hiding who we were. If you're trying to avoid the spotlight, chances are you will not be involved in any activism work because that possibility exists. I think that is one of the things that hinders our potential involvement.

DeeAnn

Dee Ann, Thank you for keeping the memory of a great fighter for human rights alive for another year. I must admit that I hadn't thought much about Harvey Milk since the movie about his life was popular, and I'm ashamed of that.

Banned Read only
    S:

I think sometimes we spent too much time in talking about the mechanics of dressing up or the process of transition and not enough with talking about what it does for us and what it means to us. It's just something that we need to do, I think.

DeeAnn