Thread: A few questions as I move towards HRT and other changes

A few questions as I move towards HRT and other changes

First off I hope I have this in the right forum, I read the rules and I think this is best asked here. I have my first of 3 doctors appointments later this week. I am going to meet with three GPs as I am in need of a family doctor and I am wanting to work with one both during my transition but also for the long term. Now to my questions.

Will most GPs prescribe hormones given the right situation and information or will I be referred? I am really wanting to start before July.

How long can I on average expect to have after starting HRT before changes start to happen either emotionally or physically? I am out to management at work but not all my co-workers.

Should I start hair removal before starting HRT or can they happen side by side? I plan to use laser as the primary way and followed up with electrolysis if needed. I plan to focus on my face, chest and black/backside to start and move to legs arms and other areas later.

I have talked with my Psychologist at length about my transition plan but each day seems like it is still so far away, though I finally tossed all my male clothing out and wearing female undergarments at work but we are required to wear a uniform so that had to stay the same.

I know that laser and HRT will take about a year to setting and at that point my plan with my Psychologist is to start full time and also go through the name change and other legal processes that have to happen.

Any advise / ideas or feedback would be fabulous.

Just order up a whole lot of patience......self check each day on the emotional changes you will experience from HRT.....find a GOOD endocrinologist/internist to monitor blood levels.....lol enjoy the roller coaster ride !!!!!!SO much worth the price of admission!!!!!!!

Some GPs will prescribe hormones, others will hand you off to an endo. It all depends upon their comfort level.

It's not rocket science. They give you a dose, let you take it for a while, and then test blood levels. They then adjust dosage accordingly. The desired levels are published in the literature and most doctors comply with them.

Age and health issues may complicate things and make it more likely that you'll need an endo. I have one and it makes me more comfortable.

Unless you are very young and have excellent luck with the Breast Fairy, you'll have a year or more before anything becomes apparent in boy mode. There will be changes in skin texture, body hair, etc. but unless you are looking for them you won't see them.

There is no set timetable for detectable changes. You'll experience breast tenderness after a few weeks and later notice that your body hair is thinner. Mental changes are subtle and will be noted more in retrospect than at the time.

The best time to start hair removal is two years ago. The next best time is now. HRT will not have much effect on your beard, so get on it right away.

Take it step by step. We all do the steps in different order, but they eventually all get done.

Woman first, Trans second
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilblondecutie1407 View Post
    Will most GPs prescribe hormones given the right situation and information or will I be referred? I am really wanting to start before July.
    Some GPs will, but many will prefer to refer you to an endocrinologist. HRT is serious business.

How long can I on average expect to have after starting HRT before changes start to happen either emotionally or physically?
    Somewhere between 5-6 weeks and never. This is very much a YMMV thing; age can be a significant factor. Most people experience at least some changes within 3 months, usually skin changes, libido changes, and the beginnings of breast development.

Should I start hair removal before starting HRT or can they happen side by side? I plan to use laser as the primary way and followed up with electrolysis if needed. I plan to focus on my face, chest and black/backside to start and move to legs arms and other areas later.

<snip>

I know that laser and HRT will take about a year to setting and at that point my plan with my Psychologist is to start full time and also go through the name change and other legal processes that have to happen.
    I offer two pieces of advice...

1. Don't get too focused on specific timelines for anything. Things rarely happen when you expect, much less when you want them to. Some things will happen faster than you want, others much, much slower.
    2. Don't expect to be done with hair removal in a year. You will almost certainly have made a lot of progress, but it takes a long time. It can happen in parallel with HRT, although there will likely be changes to your skin that may make things more painful over time.
    Coming out is like discovering that you've been drowning your whole life after actually breathing air for the first time.

Gold Member
    All the questions that don't have specific answers. The best for hormones in my area is an OB/Gyn. Try to not worry about when things will happen. I stressed over my full time date thinking it would show. I got there and no discernible changes happened. I had the skin softening and probably a few other not-quite-as-noticeable things, but nothing that gave me away, Hair removal questions always get you several answers similar to "start long ago". I started five years ago, transitioned a year and a half ago, and still go.

Take your time through this as much as your dysphoria allows. Often it is a tough road and you mix in those fantastic moments of self realization. Hang around and talk through it all.

Hi and welcome:

Here's my experience in Canada. My primary care physician referred me to an endocrinologist who is friggin' awesome! She sets the dosages, my doctor monitors my blood work for levels including but not limited to potassium and kidney/liver function. So far, that is working really well for me.

As others have said regarding hair removal, start now!! It gets more painful the longer you are on HRT as your skin thins and softens, so the more you can get done in the early stages the better. And yes, it takes a loooong time. I've probably got another year to go, even though a lot of the "heavy lifting" so to speak is done. You may want to rethink about doing laser on back,legs and arms etc. HRT took care of all that for me. I can easily go a week without shaving my legs, 2 weeks for sure in the winter. So don't spend money where it is not needed.

As for the impact of HRT, I noticed emotional/psychological changes almost immediately as my brain calmed right down, much less agitated and better concentration etc. Impact on physical characteristics are very much individual. So just be patient, let it happen and be prepared to go with the flow. That also takes a long time, years for some before it all settles down.

Having said all of this, others who have commented are totally correct. This is very much an individual journey. Everyone's result are different. So it is hard to have a plan written in stone. I would suggest having a general idea of what you are going to do, but be prepared for detours!! They will inevitably happen.

Best of luck and fasten your seat belt....it's a wild ride!!!
    Seize the day. Life is short, and you're dead a long time...just sayin' ...

Hi
    I just started hormones and live in British Columbia. The first thing I was required to do before anything was to see a qualified counsellor to go through a process called Hormone Readiness Assessment. When that was completed and it took 3 sessions to do so, my psychologist wrote a letter to my GP and an endocrinologist of my choice that she believed that I was ready to start HRT treatment. I then had to see my GP who then referred me to an endocrinologist. The endocrinologist will first want to do blood work on you prior to prescribing a hormone treatment. Not sure if things are the same in Alberta but that, as I understand it, is the required protocol to get HRT here in BC.

You've asked some very difficult questions, and I can only answer in my own experience.
    A GP CAN prescribe hormones. He may insist on you seeing an endocrinologist, or even a gynocologist who works with hormones. Any of the above may request a therapists letter. It is no longer nessasary, but a lot of Drs. still insist on it. I recommend an endocrinologist anyway, because hormones is what they do.

The effects of HRT can be from un-noticable, to dramatic, and there's no telling when. I had small boobs that would have been noticable within a year, were I not already full time. Girls on this forum claim they can cover up their DD boobs with a baggy T-shirt, but I'm very sceptical about that.

Start hair removal yesterday. Focus on you face. It's the most noticeable feature you have. Within 6 months HRT I had lost all my chest hair, arm hair etc. Continue throughout until it's done, in tandem with HRT.

Don't plan your going full time based on when so and so changes have happened. They may never. Plan coming out/going fulltime based on YOUR emotional needs. By the time I knew I HAD TO transition, the dysphoria was so bad I went full time the next day. (I had been going out, and interacting en femme for years) I was full time by the time I went to my first endo appt. He took one look at me and said he knew what I was there for. He still asked that I see a therapist for one hour.

This is just my experience, and will vary by Dr. and location. In light of the current events, I cannot express enough. Get ALL your paper work, and I.D. in order as soon as you can. An F birth cert. could keep you out of jail, or worse.

and wearing female undergarments at work
    ...well of course, ...I mean that's SUCH an important thing.

How's anyone gonna take any of this seriously without the panties?

It's also really important that you tell your managers that even though you have to wear a uniform, you are still ALL woman underneath. Be prepared to prove it though, in case they're not sure about letting you use the ladies room.
    Quote Originally Posted by STACY B
    At least there is social acceptance in being a drunk in our world. Hell I was good at it too.
    Melissa Hobbes
    www.badtranny.com