Thread: What was it really like for us back then?

Gold Member

What was it really like for us back then?

And what is it like today?
    Today if you were to ask a lot of TS who have lived this for say a few years, I think more often than not the response would sound like - Life just becomes life. Not much really to talk about. You go to work, have a few friends, have problems, good times and bad just like anyone. Although there does come a comfort from being able to freely express your chosen gender.
    That is what I would say. I do not think my life would really be any different. Yes there was some turbulence along the way when adjusting. Losing a few friends or having to cut family ties, maybe getting laughed at and it actually ruined your day, etc...

What I want to know though is back in say the 1980's or maybe 90's, would a full time TS who is socially established in their new gender REALLY have things that much harder than today? I mean the ones just trying to assimilate and live their lives as opposed to the drama queens and those looking for trouble.

I do understand that back then, the media would call us "transvestites, drag queens.." and other not-so-fitting terms under the gender-variant vocab.
    But was it really that much harder to find a legit job? Was it really acceptable to publicly hate on us or even more common? Was it assumed that a full time (and not perfectly passing) TG had some kind of disease?
    My only memories of anything TG back then was glam rock bands or maybe Boy George.

I just have a hard time imagining that even back then a full time TG would have that many troubles or be cut off from society unless they were doing something stupid or looked ridiculous.

Anyone got any experience with this?
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

I agree with your first few sentences. Life just goes on and on and on. Not so much on the comfort of expressing my chosen Gender. There was NO choice, it was find a way or I don't know what would have happened. If I would have had a choice it would have been not to be born a TS. Life would have been simpler, maybe.

I am a 65 Post MtF TS now. I fully transitioned in the 70s. Started in 1974/75 and SRS in SEP 1977. I transitioned at the same workplace I started in 1974. Came out fully to my entire family in 1976 and at work, around the time I had my name legally changed. Family moved from Chicago in 1968 to WASH DC area. I went into US Navy in 1969 thru 1974, so had NO old friends to come out to.

Afraid I can't relate too many details, as 40 years of so much other in my life, I tend to remember only the worst or best. My partner, a Post MtF TS, and I lived together for 38 years.

There were absolutely NO legal rights for TS back then. Name change was easy, lawyer put in all the court and publish requirements. Everything else only occurred after SRS with the surgeons letter. I was lucky Illinois changed sex/gender marker and name. My partner born in WASH DC did not change back then.

Talking with a couple people that knew me and knew of me back then recently. I think the rarity of TS back then, it wasn't really on peoples mind.
    My voice is kind of in the middle so that helps. I have been told I was pretty and just looked like most other women. Not so sure on the pretty but all say I look just like most other women. Most say I don't look 65, so that is nice.

I have been the luckiest with everything. My family is very progressive socially, no biases, but that everyone should live there own life. They accepted my partner as just another part of our family.
    Work was very accepting, just worried on the legal aspect of working as a female but not legally one yet. But I worked out a compromise with HR and the doctors where I was to have SRS. I worked as a US Fed contractor for the Dept of Army, so not only did my employer have to get on board but so did the US Fed.

Can't remember what the media were saying about TS. When I was transitioning, Renee Richards was making headlines wanting to play in women's tennis tournaments.

Can't comment much on the 80s-90s as my partner and I moved to the suburbs in 1983, and just lived as two women, and had NO contact with the Trans community, as limited as it was back then.

Not sure if any of that helps in your query. I will answer all I can. Can't help with HRT Doctors Therapists, as it was the Dark Ages of all that, everything has changed.
    Last edited by Georgette_USA; 05-27-2016 at 01:36 PM.

Those years were a challenge.....NYC area was a very exciting and accepting arena in 80's.....even in CT where grew up it was easy to transition.....lucky to be in advertising career surrounded by liberal crowd.....but....stepping out of liberal NYC/CT I could see a change in non-acceptance mentality....just adjusted the environment.....key was to not create an image that targeted myself....always concious of a world not educated to issues....adapted and allowed transition 24/7then leading to full transition......these days.....would LOVE to be an 18yr old again!!!!!.....tolerance has come a long way.....

Before the Pride march, a bunch of Toronto girls would get together at the St. Charles Tavern on Yonge St. Halloween evening, and march down the street. It became a popular spectacle. Police would let onlookers throw eggs at us, but step in if it turned to rocks.
    We've come a long way, to hosting world Pride for over two million people, and being one of the most accepting cities in the world.

I recently came across a website that has a lot of historical information about TV/CD/TS/TG stuff. Its pretty extensive and you'll need to kind of feel your way around it, but set aside several hours once you start. https://www.digitaltransgenderarchive.net
    Jenn A --- nothing fancy, just me.

As someone who has been around--and has had transgender feelings--since the really bad, really old days, I appreciate the link, Jenna. The categories seem a bit slippery, but there's a huge body of material there.

Lallie
    Time for a change.