Thread: Came out to my SO and it was the best possible outcome (long story!)

Came out to my SO and it was the best possible outcome (long story!)

Hi everyone,

Hope that you're having a wonderful weekend! I joined this site a few months ago and I've learned so much here. After much debating, I finally told my SO of my love for crossdressing, and I'm so grateful that I did. Reading the stories and advice of others here definitely helped me to do it, so I'd like to add my story and pay it forward. It's a long one, so I broke it up into sections :-)

Introducing Eva

First, a bit of background about me. I'm in my late 30's. I've had a fascination with women's clothing for a long time - especially tights and stockings - but I never really crossdressed until a few months ago. Work was taking its toll, I was stressed out, and I decided - on a whim - to meet with a CD/TG makeover service. It's hard to say what pushed me into it. I've read quite a bit about crossdressing and thought that it was something that I should try. And it seemed like the right time.

The makeover was INCREDIBLE for me. I was thrilled to meet my female persona. And I knew at that moment that this would be a shift in my life. I'm very comfortable being a man and I'm happy with myself, but this was a new, hidden part of my persona that was allowed to come out and shine.

And... this shining lady was soon cast down into a weekender bag and put in the back of our apartment storage unit. I live with my SO and had no idea if and when I should tell her. I figured that I'd give it some time - make sure that this is really "me." I joined a weekly meetup group in New York City and started to meet like-minded girls. Nearly all of them are married, nearly all of them are straight, and the majority of them are out to their wives or girlfriends. Their encouragement gave me the strength to finally tell her. I ultimately hid things for about three months - making excuses for my nights out and furiously grabbing the incoming amazon boxes before they were seen. I decided that enough was enough. I mustered up the courage to tell her on Friday.

The First Talk

I told my SO on a Friday afternoon. We both had an early day with work. The hardest thing is figuring out how to start. We were calmly chatting and I began with this...

"I have something to tell you. It's nothing horrible - I didn't cheat on you or kill someone or gamble away our savings. But it's very important. Over the past three months, I've been going to a support group for crossdressers."

This hit her like a ton of bricks. It broke my heart to see her tear up, and a wave of fear come over her face. She looked at me like she had no idea who I was. "Are you gay?" she asked. "Do you want to be a woman?" "Do you want to sleep with a man?" "You've been lying to me all of this time?" She was very upset and walked out of the room. The rest of the evening was really tense and she generally wanted no part of me. I went for a long walk that evening and hoped that we could reopen things in the morning.

Upon waking up, she was still very upset. She barely slept through the night and I felt even worse than before. We ate breakfast separately and she intially told me that she was leaving for the day. After pleading, she agreed to sit down and talk with me again.

The Second Talk

This was her opportunity to ask me more. I've read a TON about crossdressings. I've thought a ton about it. I've met many people who do it. She had none of this knowledge - and she wasn't aware that this is something that straight men in relationships do. And can do successfully. She really knew nothing about it.

I was fighting back tears and calmly told her about my feelings. I told her that being Eva feels like being a part of myself. When I'm dressed, I'm not pretending to be a woman - but I'm being who I truly am - I human being that's genetically male but has a distinct feminine persona that wants to be expressed in a real way. I reassured her that the core of myself hasn't changed and that this can be a good thing for our relationship. She then asked to see a photograph and with tear-stained eyes, I showed her some of the photos that I've posted on this site.

It was amazing. Upon seeing the photos, the cloud over her lifted. She saw my face in them - saw my eyes - saw the genuine look of happiness on my face. It wasn't some frightening perverted thing. It was the man that she loved looking sort of pretty and quite a bit younger with a notably amateurish makeup job. It made things clear for her and made them much less threatening. She hugged me and told me that she could accept this. And my god - what an incredible moment it was! We've been together for nearly 10 years, and this was one of the most emotional things that we've ever gone through. We spent the entire weekend on cloud nine and I feel closer to her than ever. I'm incredibly lucky to have her.

What I learned

Everyone has their own path to follow, but if anyone asked me for advice, this is what I'd tell them:

1. Tell them sooner than later
    Secrets will destroy trust and ruin your relationship. As many here have said, the lying hurts much more than the crossdressing. My SO was very upset about the double life and the deception and I've only been doing it for a few months. I told her - truthfully - that I had to see if it was real and understand things for myself before telling her. That ultimately made sense to her. If I told her after a much longer stretch of time, she would have taken it very badly.

2. Have information and photos on hand
    Her lack of knowledge about CD'ing was a big part of her fear and anger. She really knew nothing about it and absolutely imagined the worst. If I didn't have that photo of myself on my phone, I don't think that we would be in this good place. It's different for everyone, but it ended up being incredibly valuable in my case. And having a book or a print out about crossdressing would have helped a lot - especially in my initial talk.

3. Do NOT use her clothes or shoes without her permission, ever
    This was one of her questions during the first tallk. "Have you been wearing my clothes?!?" It's not only an invasion of her possessions, it introduces a host of negative thoughts. "Is he competing with me?" "Am I not good enough?" "Is he trying to be me?" Get your own clothes, your own shoes, and your own makeup so that there is a clear division.

4. Stress that CD'ing doesn't change you as person at your core.
    She isn't losing a husband or a boyfriend, but she's gaining the same man that she loves with a bit more depth and a lot more empathy.

5. Allow her to set the boundaries and the pace
    After we reached a better place, I told her this: "I'm not ashamed of this and I'm proud of who I am. But I don't want it to dominate our time and I don't want to force it on you. You can ask me anything about crossdressing at any time. We can go out together if you want, you can meet my girlfriends if you want, we can do anything together. I'd love to share it with you. But I won't initiate it because things should move at your pace."

I believe that this is important. I've read some cases where wives and SO's give their approval and then the CD'er is fully dressed within an hour and looking to go shopping or whatnot. Running into this too fast is a sure way to freak her out. If she can move at her pace then it's better for everyone. Additionally, I pledged to be honest and tell her where and when I'd like to do this.

6. Buy her stuff too.
    Most women love shopping and getting gifts. Ever since "meeting" Eva, I've been on somewhat of a girly shopping spree. I have about four pairs of shoes, maybe 10 dresses, at least a dozen pairs of tights, etc. But I've been careful to buy my SO things as well.

In celebration of "the talk," I just bought Eva some lightly used Louboutin's that I've been looking at on Ebay. And I bought my SO a pair as well. I think that its crucial to make her feel like the #1 woman in my life (which she is), and thoughtful gestures like gifts and flowers can go a long way. Just build it into the budget!

Anyway, that's my long-winded story! Thanks for reading and I'm so grateful to be a part of this community. You beautiful ladies gave the the confidence to get here!

Hi Eva. Your story and experiences have many similarities to my own. Just like you, my main reason for telling my SO was because I couldn't live a lie for the rest of my life. I too have had a positive outcome after the initial shock. It's great that things have worked out well for you as well.

You make some very valid points. While I agree with them all, I would add one more very important one which is that only each person can decide what's best for them if they tell. Everyone's circumstances are different. While many who post on here have had a positive outcome, there are some who don't. For me, even though I have a strong marriage and I felt it would ultimately go well, it still felt like a massive life changing gamble which in effect it was.

Anyway, I'm really pleased things are going well for you. You look great in your photos btw.

Sarah

Go slow - but it seems you have a loving and understanding lady in your life

Congratulations!

I think telling our SOs is one of the most difficult things that we have to face in our personal lives. Your story on how you started is very similar to mine. My SO and I ended up in a livable DADT. Not ideal but maybe someday things will change for the better. Your list of things you've learned is pretty spot on. I've had #6 on my mind a lot lately as something I should start doing more of.

Ya I think you hit all the key points right on the money, even with all this you still need to make her feel like she is the most important thing in your life. Just because of the dressing, you cant forget that it is a relationship and she always wants to feel loved and in the loop too.

Thanks so much everyone! It's been a really exciting weekend.

As Sarah says, it was a gamble. It could go horribly wrong. And whatever stress that I felt was double for her, as I had plenty of time to prepare for this. She was hit with it out of the blue. But I'm so grateful that we reached a point of understanding, and honestly I believe that our relationship will be stronger for it. We faced a real crisis and came through it. And now I absolutely have the responsibility of keeping everything in balance and putting her first in all matters.

Now I've got something to run by you ladies. My SO is legitimately excited and interested in Eva. I typically go to a CD Dinner event on Wednesday nights, and afterwards a small group of us girls get a drink at a gay bar close to the dinner. It's a pretty campy place - they have funny drink names and play Lady Gaga. It's a very welcoming place for us.

I told my SO about this "after-party" and she really wants to go. She asked me if I was cool with that. She'd actually like to meet my girlfriends too. I'd tell them ahead of time in case they want to pass, but it's an interesting opportunity. I'm aware of the danger of freaking out my SO, but I'm thinking that this is a safe place for her to meet Eva. It's dark, she'll see me fully dressed, they'll (probably) be some other people and it's a fun, kitschy bar.

I definitely want to take it slow. I offered for her to go to this if she wanted, and she brought it up later on her own. I'm thinking "why not?" Any advice would be appreciated!

Go for it. I don't like being left out when my husband goes out.

Congratulations on being successful Eva, I think youve given very good advice too. Hope everything continues to go well for you, Louboutins eh? Ive always wondered how nice those are, I have some Gianmarco Lorenzi, those are nice I can say.
    Mykaa is me! Discovering Peace throughout from the Girl within.
    David Bowie "Don't stay in a sad place Where they don't care how you are..."
    Disturbed The Light "The truth is waiting there for you to find it
    It's not a blight, but a remedy"

Thank you for sharing your story I can relate to the part about how your SO reacted to seeing you genuinely happy.
    Every human being is the natural guardian of her own importance.
    The art of progress is to preserve order amid change, and to preserve change amid order.

Your story is not unlike ours when he first opened up. A fair word of warning from a GG perspective, do not take this as license to get lost in the pink fog. I repeat. DO NOT let yourself get so wrapped up in this that she ends up feeling neglected now that you feel freer to express yourself.
    That is what happened to us, and I immediately started regretting it all, looking fondly back on the time before I knew, back when he had to hide it. He took it and ran with it and I didn't see him for nearly an entire season. More like two. There were times his family would visit and he never came out to see them, he remained hidden.
    And when I said I couldn't be as accepting as I thought I was, he felt betrayed, as if I went back on my word.
    He couldn't help it, he would say he lost track of time. Always losing track of time.
    I think it's great that you read up on it and learned as much as you could. Now it comes down to your willpower and reminding yourself daily who is still the most important woman in your life (that being your wife, not the one in the closet)

And be prepared for some back and forth "now I like it now I don't" from her - she is coming to terms with what's in her heart, and it conflicts with what's in her head. She wants you to be happy. But she didn't marry a CDer by choice. And the more she sees you en femme, she's likely going to go through some grieving of the spouse she thought she had. It's been three years, and it's still a shock to me when I see him dressed. Go with the flow, and don't take it personally.

I'm glad for you- and hope you continue to receive the support you are getting for feeling free and feminine, and that it can continue to be a win for your SO in terms of loving you, and not become overwhelmed by the losses that Magnetar mentioned, and the likely desire you will feel to share your identity with others-w which then has an impact on your SO's view of herself through the eyes of others- so she has to be comfortable and ready to be out in front on this-"Yes- I'm helping my guy by accepting and supporting him crossdressing so he feels more whole. That's not strange- that's love. And if you don't like it, you can stop calling yourself a friend."

My wife is horrified by the thought of that conversation, and refuses to have it. However, I told some fellow volunteers today in the course of a group conversation about 'The Danish girl' that I was on the trans* spectrum, and had dresses that I liked very much, and everyone chimed in with supportive comments. The idea is definitely out in society already, and normalized- although the conventional wisdom is that a crossdresser is just not aware that they want to transition, and if they do, they fall into a recognizable group. Straight men who cross dress are just confusing to many women, though the working answer is so simple- "Why not let men wear dresses if they want to?"

There obviously is no social reason to prohibit it- but the binary rulebook is deeply embedded and for people to consider it they need a person in their lives to say 'That's me.'

However, on a personal level, the 'missing man/husband' is a real and significant problem- and it is just as deeply emotional for our SOs to feel like they want and need a consistent manly man in their lives as it is for us to want and need to be only part time manly, or maybe not at all.

Notice I am not saying a tragic problem- because I am am an optimist here. If your SO changes her mind after thinking over the conversations she is going to have to have with others, try to be forgiving - it is a lot to ask. My compromise now is to make sure each day I feel I am moving forward non-destructively- I accept the DADT, and make sure I really enjoy my time dressing. That is a pretty good solution, in the context of things that couples can be far apart on. I'm turning into a considerate and thoughtful social activist and gender freedom advocate, and I'm not giving up- just being considerate.
    We are all beautiful...!

Magnetar, thanks so much - that's incredibly valuable advice for me! I will absolutely work to always keep her first in our relationship. In the short term, I'm going to try to balance things one-for-one. If I have a night out as Eva, then either I invite her or a plan another night for the two of us. If Eva gets some clothing or shoes, then she gets something as well. I don't think that she's afraid of my feminine side, but I can see her getting resentful of the time & money that I spend on it if she's not involved. That's actually happened with other hobbies of mine. She just doesn't want to be excluded. And I want her to be a part of things, so it has the potential to work out very well. But you're right, I'll always work to keep my focus on her.

And thanks Phili, I haven't thought much about "coming out" to others, but I probably should think it over. I grew up playing in punk and hardcore bands, and was sort of a tough-guy, so I have a "f*** the world" attitude about how people perceive me. That's good sometimes and bad sometimes. I wouldn't be ashamed to tell other people, but I don't feel the need to either. And if it's not something that I need to do, then I might as well avoid the complication. I think that she'll see it that way too.
    Last edited by Eva Bella; 05-31-2016 at 10:05 PM.

Congratulations Eva! I have had the same experience myself. And I think you are right, if you dont "feel the need" (at this point!) to come out to others, there's no need to complicate things. At least you have the support of your SO, which will make your life exponentially easier!

I am proud of you for telling her who you *really* are!

Hi Eva.

So happy for you! With your level of introspection and care for your SO, I think you will be just fine. Magnetar's comments are very true...when I first came out, I pushed hard--too hard--but my wife and I have settled into an arrangement that works. Would I like more? Sure, but I'm happy for the level of acceptance I have. Most of us envy you right now--don't blow it by continually upping the ante!

Best of luck to you both, and enjoy!

You are gorgeous, BTW.

Gretchen

great story. glad it turned out well

Thanks again everyone! So, we've decided to meet up at the "after party" tonight. I'm really looking forward to it! I'm meeting my SO first and then my girlfriends are coming by to meet her as well. I think that she's going to have a great time, everyone is very nice. I'll report back!