Quote Originally Posted by Alexa CD View Post
You are the loud, overrepresented minority but the majority still rules, it's not their problem, it's yours.
I just need to point this out as completely incorrect - both morally and legally.

When it comes to issues of discrimination, our laws have systems to prevent the oppression of minorities - even it it takes a long time for them to materialize. Through your logic, the "loud" minority of African Americans would still be redlined from certain employment and living - and kept on the back of the bus. Women would not be able to votes. Gays would not be able to marry.

The very notion of a protected class is to give special protections to an otherwise embattled minority group. And the "bathroom bill" stemmed from the drive to make Transgender/Transsexual folk an additional protected class. Which - given the high levels of suicide and discrimination - they clearly should be.

Excuse me for getting political for a second, but this Bathroom Bill is pure pandering from the Conservative Right. On one hand, these relentlessly pro-big business and pro-finance politicians completely sold off the future of their constituents. It's no wonder that these people are angry. Clothes are cheap as dirt and smart phones do all sorts of wonderful things, but they can no longer afford the true essentials of home ownership, health care, child care, and retirement.

But understanding economics is not easy. Disliking Transgender folk and undocumented immigrants and legal abortions is very easy. The Conservative Right drums up support on these social and religious issues which have no real impact on the lives of their constituents., and then turn around and screw all of them financially.

And of course the Democrats have their own creative ways of screwing everyone financially, but at least they don't have to further oppress poor and aggrieved minority groups to do it.

I've now been going out in public for about three months, and I always use the Ladies room. Admittedly, I've only done this in NYC and Boston, so I'm facing a different dynamic. If you look at my photos, you'll see that there's no way that I'm passing as a GG. I've lived for 37 years so far, and I have yet to see a woman with 17" arms and 5" heels strutting around a normal bar. It's very clear that I'm a genetic man dressed like a woman. And I could certainly appear physically imposing and intimidating just based on my size.

But I believe that your attitude in these cases is paramount. If I'm nervous, I try to imagine "What would RuPaul Do?" RuPaul would walk in that room and own it. She would have a snappy, confident comeback to that person. She'd smile in the mirror and check her makeup. Being confident - I believe - can relax the people around you, as you look wrapped up in your own tasks. Looking sneaky or ashamed will probably spark more fear and apprehension.