Thread: Photos of you

Photos of you

No, this isn't a call for people to post pictures. But in light of recent events something occurred to me.

Many of you know me in other online areas or some in real life and you know I post a lot of pictures of me. There are hundreds to choose from. But what if, heaven forbid, something happened and whatever that was made the evening news, I have to wonder what photo they would choose to represent me. Now I know there are some here who have never posted a photo and that I am on the opposite end of that spectrum, but Facebook photos seem to be the choice for media. I get why, it is open and easily obtained. But I wonder which they would choose to represent who I am, was, um am. I like my avatar here but I can just imagine they would choose the photo of me at my worst. Morbid thought for a mid week huh?

(note, your pictures from this site are safe as far as that scenario goes)
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Banned Read only
    My spin:

If it is for an obituary, I don't think I'll give a shit.

If I did something terribly wrong, they would pick the worst photo that they could find.

If it's a good thing, I could find at least a half-dozen and more that I would be comfortable with.

In any case, one thing would be fairly certain: my family name would likely be misspelled...

DeeAnn

Quote Originally Posted by Lorileah View Post
    (note, your pictures from this site are safe as far as that scenario goes)
    If one's story is juicy enough, do you think that journalists would have any qualms about signing up at this site to get access to everything?

How should anyone know whom to look for here, unless you have linked your real first and last name with your screen name? I haven't been careful enough about a lot of things, but I don't talk even to friends about this site, or my screen name. Frankly, I'm embarrassed by the naivete and candor of many posts I made as a newbie--especially when they involved my loved ones.

Lallie
    Time for a change.

Gold Member
    Looking at your page, only the avatar is public. So that is the one! But theoretically, I think they would revert to the avatar anyway. It is right there without a fight and it is something you picked to represent yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Eryn View Post
    If one's story is juicy enough, do you think that journalists would have any qualms about signing up at this site to get access to everything?
    Quote Originally Posted by Starling View Post
    How should anyone know whom to look for here, unless you have linked your real first and last name with your screen name? I haven't been careful enough about a lot of things, but I don't talk even to friends about this site, or my screen name. Frankly, I'm embarrassed by the naivete and candor of many posts I made as a newbie--especially when they involved my loved ones.
    Lallie

I do have photos on other sites...lots and lots and lots. And that is where last weekend they pulled the photos of the Orlando shootings for most. Were they the current avatar? Maybe, but it doesn't matter. Here in Denver Facebook seems to be the go to place to get pictures for news. In the old days it was driver's license pictures.
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

I have like 3 selfies on my facebook, the rest is all ****posts, puns, and memes.
    So... No matter what picture they choose I'm probably doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by Starling View Post
    How should anyone know whom to look for here, unless you have linked your real first and last name with your screen name?...
    Unless you have been completely secretive the path isn't all that difficult. If there are any real-world people who know your real identity that data is insecure. Even failing that, a web-crawler and image recognition could catalog every photo on this entire site in a very short time.

Consider that, in the case of the Orlando killer, they are now talking about his third-grade (!) school discipline record. These records are supposed to be confidential, but the human element can always be breached.

Quote Originally Posted by Eryn View Post
    ...If there are any real-world people who know your real identity that data is insecure...
    I believe I acknowledged that exception. But to carry on, are you talking about real-world people on this forum, or Dawn Q. Public? It seems pretty far-fetched that they would go to the lengths you suggested, unless they were extremely motivated. In that case, as you suggest, anything could be possible, so don't waste your time and energy to worry about it.

My only concern is that someone from my "real life" would associate me with my screen name here; and not because I fear being outed, but I would be embarrassed if a loved one should read some of the idiotic and/or hurtful things I have posted over the years.

Lallie
    Time for a change.

Banned Read only
    Lorileah,
    Could you make up a publicity pack and hand it to the person who deals with your legal matters to cover that possibility ?

Am I correct in saying you are a qualified vet, in that case would you need to make an arrangement for publicity purposes as a professional person if a press release needed to be made ? Also do you have to make a declaration to your professional body about the completion of your transition and make changes to your registration documents ?
    Last edited by Teresa; 06-23-2016 at 12:19 PM.

A news release packet. That sounds sorta cool "This is to inform you that Dr Lorileah met her demise in (fill in manner). Photo enclosed "

Actually, that isn't a bad idea. It gives some control over the fallout. I was just thinking with the OP about all the photos following Orlando and how most of them were Twitter or Facebook. "Normal" people (like most of you) have maybe half a dozen to choose from (assuming they can get into your photo albums). I have probably 200, most with food or a drink in my hand. Maybe I should make a packet. In the old days, they used your driver's license photo

In RE: my professional life. I have been "out" for at least three years and although most of my colleagues in my age range would rather have hot iron nails pressed into their flesh than sit with or talk to me at meetings, the young crowd tends to be polite and then ignore me (but then again, they did that before so no change there). All my documentation except the diploma have been updated and changed. No big deal. Totally different thread but when I first came out I talked to all my friends. One said "Don't worry about it. You aren't the first." Always wondered who are the other "Transvets" I want to start a club
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

Banned Read only
    Lorileah,
    Do you think we can live with any more labels ? I do like that one Transvets !
    I was a professional photographer, so what could I use ? Photodresser , Transcam ?

What have I started ? Some occupations could get very interesting.

I like transvets...better than the "You know that guy who became a girl and quit practice..." News looks like TRansVets can be a real club for the US Military as of July 1
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

Banned Read only
    Did you know that my new hometown has the only (so far) memorial for LGBT military veterans?

DeeAnn

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorileah View Post
    what if, heaven forbid, something happened and whatever that was made the evening news, I have to wonder what photo they would choose to represent me.
    Going by what the national press has used in the past, it would not be one that flattered me. If they went to facebook, and were feeling better disposed than usual towards me, they might choose one that I had as my avatar a while back which was from a Trans Pride event.
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity