Thread: Just ordered my first dress

Just ordered my first dress

Hi all,
    well it's a milestone for me, I just ordered a dress of my own online. Simple and easy, will be delivered tomorrow, and it's all mine. I am soooo looking forward to it! What was it like for you, when you first ordered or bought female clothing for yourselves?

Congrats! I got lucky on my first dress because it fit nicely even though I didn't try it on to check. Later trips to the store proved to be not so lucky, and I'm glad I actually tried on the dresses that I picked out because none of them worked. Women's sizing is weird. Enjoy it!

Very exciting, 2005, I bought a little purple dress, that was on display at a thrift/charity store. I took some getting over fear. It was slightly short for me, but i was so excited!! Unfortunately, all photos were destroyed except for a head and shoulders pic. i gave it back to thrift stores later.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned Read only
    Andrea,
    It may have not been the first item I bought but the first through the mail and it was nerve wracking ! It was a black satin French Maid outfit with a full petticoat and matching panties, I hovered round the drive every morning ready to intercept the parcel, I told the post man it was a surprise for my wife , when he finally delivered it , he kept squeezing it saying it's very soft !!

I must admit I've always bought my own underwear, but making do with clothes handed on to me from my wife was fine but now it it's great choosing and buying my own.
    Last edited by Teresa; 06-20-2016 at 06:57 PM.

My first and only dress was purchased 6 months ago at a thrift store. It's purple/fuscia (?) & white floral scoop neck. I wish I was wearing it now. 🌺

Banned Read only
    I just bought dress #141 today. It is an Apt 9 dress. The first dress I ever bought for myself was in 1974. My wife was on vacation to the other side of the country. I was terrified she would find it. I ended up getting rid of it before she got home from her trip. Before the Internet I bought my dresses in-person. Some did not fit right because of my height, so I donated them. Now I know my size and style with different labels, so I never have to get rid of any purchases other than when I put on a little weight.

I buy out of catalogs but will buy shirts in stores. I was nervous at first, but like the idea of buying clothes.
    lmildcd is now known as Lennette Lost.

My first dress was bought at a Bradlees....
    So exciting that day to rush home and wear it....
    Now I own sooooo many, but it still gives me a rush when one comes in the mail
    Congrats, Hon!

It's really hard to find clothing that fits me off the rack. Almost everything needs to be tailored. We buy for my shoulders, bust and length. Waist and hips need to be taken in. Being tall complicates things. I need at least 20 inches below the waist for knee length. We I buy venus.com dresses because they fit me best and are consistent in size. If it fits my bust and it's long enough, my wife can make it rock on me.
    Kate

The first dress I ordered online was horrible. So was the second one. You may love your first dress, and you may hate it. Regardless of that, keep at it and eventually you will find something that makes you look fabulous. One of my absolute favorite dresses is a black and white rag I got at Walmart for $12. Rag or not, it makes me look fabulous. (Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.)

Thats been a long time ago, but I can tell you I always wait with anticipation, I enjoy getting new clothes, I always hope they look good on me.
    Mykaa is me! Discovering Peace throughout from the Girl within.
    David Bowie "Don't stay in a sad place Where they don't care how you are..."
    Disturbed The Light "The truth is waiting there for you to find it
    It's not a blight, but a remedy"

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Thats awesome I hope it fits and looks nice on you.

I would rather be able to try it on first in a store than take the chance buying online and it not fitting or not looking all that great on me.
    Last edited by Tracii G; 06-20-2016 at 11:24 PM.