Thread: Friend Support is so nice - try to find some

Friend Support is so nice - try to find some

This will be ancient history to most of you but I thought it might be helpful to those such as myself that are just starting. I am in the very early stages, all 3 of my doctors know, I had my 2nd appt with my therapist yesterday and got scheduled to see the supv. MD that prescribes hormones in August. Oh and next week 8 hours of electrolysis by 2 people simultaneously under twilight sedation. Both looking forward to it and dreading the day after. Anyway to my point.

So I am early on, my brother and sis in law know. My therapist said I should get more support, come out more. So I had a very nice talk today sitting at a lake with a young ciswoman that I am friends with. I knew she would be supportive and I was right. I could tell instantly. It was the initial reaction. No shock no judgment, just acceptance and support. The reason I am telling this story isn't just Yea for me. The point is I feel so much better. Support is so important and right now I have very little.

So if you are feeling isolated, need to talk etc, this forum is very helpful especially for info too, but even more important is to have someone in your life that you can talk to sometimes. I know this is going to be a difficult journey in so many ways, money, physical pain, being ostracized by some etc. So we need some support. Figure out who will be supportive and love you for you. Tell them. Don't be afraid of someone that you know loves you. Keeping a secret like this is very hard and having GD and transitioning is hard enough. Be kind to yourself, tell a good friend. I am glad I did.

Yes it is I have found I really need some like minded friends to shears this journey with..I am looking for a support group now in VA Beach. Love Cindy

Untitled
    ... and don't keep it just trans, include, if possible cis
    Listen carefully to what is said, quite often you can hear what is not being said

The joy of correcting a mistake can bring pain to another

I agree. In my case as I mentioned in the post it was a ciswoman. The reason I think that it is important to find cis support also is when those of us working toward going full time actually get there the vast majority of people we tell will of course be cis. It felt really good and it was needed.

Banned Read only
    I have found it absolutely impossible to find any support any where. I've cut off all contact with my family. My "friends" left within two months of my coming out of the closet. And I've never been able to make friends of any sort since. I honestly don't know what to do anymore. I pretty much gave up.

And this forum has been disastrous for me.

The best friends are the ones you can make "tranny" puns with and they join in with their own.
    Puns bring people together.

Gold Member
    It is very important to have support. There are also additional side effects. First, it is a confidence builder as you start having positive experiences. Also, I feel it is good to let people close to you know earlier so they have time to settle in. Supportive doesn't mean they don't have thoughts running through their mind. If you give them time, they will be settled down by the time you come out to everyone.

Woman first, Trans second
    I would not be in anywhere near as good of a place as I am without my two besties (both cis women).
    Coming out is like discovering that you've been drowning your whole life after actually breathing air for the first time.

I have a lot of friends that have helped get me through the last few months and going forward. My coming out post had over 120 comments and 300 plus likes.
    I'm a nice Jewish girl.

I'm not a girl, Not yet a woman.

Quote Originally Posted by GBJoker View Post
    I have found it absolutely impossible to find any support any where. I've cut off all contact with my family. My "friends" left within two months of my coming out of the closet. And I've never been able to make friends of any sort since. I honestly don't know what to do anymore. I pretty much gave up.

And this forum has been disastrous for me.
    I am truly sorry for what you are struggling with both friends and otherwise. As for this forum so far I have found it almost entirely positive. What I am about to say is truly intended as helpful advice. Life is tough, even if you are not trans. I have had cancer, 2 heart attacks, 2 severely autistic children, laid off twice from great jobs. (just realized a lot of 2 (s) here = wonder if that's a sign) Yeah I have been depressed, down and very discouraged. Oh and my best friend was murdered years ago. Yes every word of that crap is true. I am still standing. I am still here. I will move on. Now I am going to live my dream.

In short don't give up. Figure out another way. Meet new friends. The old ones obviously sucked. Move to a new city. Find a new job. Do something !! Easy for me to say?
    Well believe me I have lived it. I know it's hard but as my brother told me - in these exact words - "put on your big girl panties". He meant it from a good place.

I know you are hurting but help yourself. Then maybe someone else will too. Sorry if I am sounding hurtful - it is meant to be tough love.
    Kym