Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time to pack it in . . . moving on in life

Gone to live my life

Time to pack it in . . . moving on in life

No . . . not what you think . . . still very happy with my transition and my life. However as I have now broken 35 years of military service it is time to start looking at the next step and a different sort of transition . . . becoming a civilian. While it would be nice to just retire and spend the rest of my days waking up naturally and not to the blare of my alarm at zero dark thirty, my wife and I have specific desires for retirement which requires a bit more savings in the old bank account. I suppose I could just stay in uniform, it is what I know and the organization has been super supportive of my transition, but in a way it feels like a bit of a life line and a hold over to my "male world". So I decided to apply for a government job in my academic field (not my military field) and have been going through the competition process for the past three weeks and am glad to report I have made it to the short of list of 5 hopefuls from a list of 160 applicants. Now it is just down to reference checks and then final decision by the hiring directorate.

What does this have to do with being trans you might ask? Well . . . this is all Marcelle with no ghost of Marcel lurking around in the background to muddy the waters. I tested, interviewed, delivered a 10 minute presentation to senior management as Marcelle. It was both scary and exhilarating. Fear that being a trans woman would somehow shut me out the competition early but exhilaration that I was doing this as me, the way I was meant to be. I found everyone to be quite professional and having spent a good portion of my professional career reading people, I did not get the feeling it was an issue . . . awkward for some of the older men I came into contact with but not an issue. I will say in my final interview the one question that sticks out in my mind is "In our personal lives we sometimes find ourselves facing challenges. What is the greatest personal challenge you ever had to face and how did you deal with it and would you say you successfully met that challenge? Can you guess what my response was?

So now I am sitting and playing the waiting game. If I do get the job, then I will most likely be out of uniform within a year. If not, well . . . I can always serve seven more years to age 60. However, I would be lying if I said it doesn't matter if I don't get the job. This would be one thing in my life which is truly Marcelle's and not something inherited from Marcel . . . so keeping my fingers crossed.

Cheers

Marcelle

good luck with the career shift, it makes sense to me to do that.
    xxx
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJFyz73MRcg
    I used to believe this, now I'm in the company of many tiggers. A tigger does not wonder why she is a tigger, she just is a tigger.

thanks to krististeph: tigger = TG'er .. T-I-GG-er

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcelle View Post
    Can you guess what my response was?
    No! :

Good luck for the job
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

Banned Read only
    Marcelle,
    This was one aspect I kept thinking about in your life and wondered how the double transition would work. I mean of course transition from military to civil life and the continuation of Marcelle's transition, I have everything crossed for you, so I hope it happens.

I hope the thought of the big 60 doesn't scare you too much, I get some strength from seeing members older than me still looking good and enjoying their TG life.

Whatever happens I can only wish the very best , Marcelle is firmly here to stay , I know you've worked so hard for that.
    I will add that I'm thankful you have been an inspiration to many of us here, you were the first friend I made here and I'm very grateful for that.

Gold Member
    Marcelle, the way you have found your path and dealt with the negatives that raised tell me that you will get what you want in this area. I understand clean breaks, there are so many I have thought of, although my job isn't one. You have broken barriers for those that are coming behind you. Now it is time to enjoy life on your new terms . Best of luck in being #1 of 5!

You have worked so hard and your good nature is evident in your posts, i wish you the best, you deserve it!!
    I am real

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    Congratulations, Marcelle. Personally, I salivate for retirement but, it's 5-6 years away. Have you considered a semi retirement or possibly a home business?
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

Aspiring Member
    Marcelle,
    I commend you for 'being you' and the encouragement I/we can gain from you sharing your experiences. I wish you the best in this career opportunity.
    Michele

Aspiring Member
    good luck sis let us know how it turns out

Onward and upward !!!........as Marcelle

0 to trans in 60 seconds! Donnagirl's Avatar
    Hi Marcelle,

Best of luck hun

It's been quite the change for both of us over these past few years and I'm sure you'll excell out of uniform just as much as you did 'in the green'. Again I'll just sit back, eating your dust, as you strive ahead.

You go girlfriend

Always,

Donna
    Call me Donna, please

Speaking as one who is also eyeing a change of life - retirement - I wish you the best for your new life!

Aspiring Member
    Hello Marcelle,
    Warmest wishes and all the best luck to you in the next phase of your life.
    You Go Girl!

Love,
    Sandra1746

Marcelle, I'm so glad you cleared the meaning of that headline right away! Whew, I thought you may have been grabbed by a bunch of G.I. Jacques and forced to renounce all! If you still have monetary goals and a need to still be productive, by all means keep working. I wish you the nothing but the best in your pursuit of a civilian job. I retired a couple of years ago, but I knew everything was in place to do it, including my desire not to have to work every day. You will know when that time comes for you.
    Bon Chance
    Be yourself. Everyone else is taken!

Marclee. You continue to inspire and trailblaze. Best wishes for landing the new job. Stay with us and keep writing. We need to learn from you.

Best,
    Rhonda
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Be all the woman that you can be!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    . . . and now, On With The Show!

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcelle View Post
    I will say in my final interview the one question that sticks out in my mind is "In our personal lives we sometimes find ourselves facing challenges. What is the greatest personal challenge you ever had to face and how did you deal with it and would you say you successfully met that challenge? Can you guess what my response was?
    Wow, the position you're applying for sounds fairly lofty and I imagine the interviewing group is highly educated and enlightened.

That single response IMHO should single handedly select you as the successful candidate all other factors considered even close to equal!

Best wishes Marcelle!!

good for you!! I hope it all works out for you. It will be great for you to be at work in something more flattering than the uniform!! Ha ha. Let us know how it works out...

Erin
    Seize the day. Life is short, and you're dead a long time...just sayin' ...

Congratulations, and I hope the next phase of your life is as fruitful.

Hi Marcelle. You have been an inspiration and I wish you the best of luck in this new transition!

Congratulations! I hope this is the perfect move for you. Retirement? I'll have to work right up til lunch the day of my funeral.

Congratulations Marcelle on going from 1 of 160 applicants to 1 of 5 hopefuls. Hopefully when the final decision is made you will be the one chosen.

Sigh, I always knew Christina Kay's Avatar
    Congratulations Marcelle. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, and wishing the best of outcomes.
    Best of luck Christina
    Follow your path.. For only you can decide, which way to go.

I have often wondered what would happen as you approached the end of a military career, particularly having grown up on a military base. It is encouraging that you appear to be headed for a successful double transition. Best to you.

Good Luck! I'm sure you will not need luck though.

Marcelle, saying that you are "packing it in" is a little deceptive, but I guess that in a way we "pack it in" several times in our lives. We "pack it in" as we transition from child to adult, from student to employee/worker, at retirement, at marriage, at any major change in our life, we put away a part of ourselves that are our past self and put on a new suit of clothes, so to speak.

In the last twelve months I have become semi-retired, I'm packing in the go go go attitude that I have had for the last forty some years. At the same time I'm reprioritizing the things that I do. So packing it in gives the opportunity to open a new chapter in our lives.

I hope that you find a new and exciting position that will allow you to pack up the military uniform and experience new challenges and accomplishments.

Rainbows and unicorns?

Hugs, Bria