Thread: Lightning Strikes

Lightning Strikes

In my life, I’ve had a couple of “lightning strikes”, things that I just can’t seem to get over, no matter how hard I try. In both stories, I wasn’t dressed at the time they happened.

My first was when I was about 15 or 16 years old. I went to a major drugstore chain (think of the thing that holds up the ceiling, and then a color), and I walked in to the pantyhose section. I quickly picked out a pair and walked up to the register. The cashier started ringing them up, but an older lady (shall I say battle axe) walked up and stopped the sale. She took my picture, and then banned me from every store in the chain, for life (this happened around 1983). I’ve since been back, obviously, and I don’t even think that the woman is still alive (she had to be in her 70’s back then). That said, I was never able to buy my own stuff again from a regular store, and I even feel guilt buying stuff at TG boutiques. I have a female friend who shops for me sometimes.

My second major “lightning strike”? Like others on this board, I had my own “Police Stop” disaster, where I was violated and outed to my bigoted boss. It ended up costing me my job. I wasn't fired for this, I was just "let go" after 20 years because my boss felt like firing me. I was re-hired a week later, at a much lower pay rate however, and I was desperate for money. Now I just work for myself.

Here's what happened. I was coming back to the Midwest from my annual California trip. I went there to dress without fear, as both my boss and my father were both very, shall we say, not very concerned with my privacy. My dad would come over to my apartment in the middle of the night (driving in from another state), and let himself in (picking the locks if need be). Meanwhile, my boss would just show up any time he felt like it, and pound on my door till I let him in. So... Diane only got to see the light of day in California. One year, I got caught up in a "random" police checkpoint. I later found out it wasn't random at all, I was targeted due to having out of state license plates. It started off easy enough, the officer claimed I broke a traffic law by not signaling when I stopped to pay a toll. I said I didn't signal because I didn't cross a white line (or change lanes). He didn't buy that, he said I technically exited the highway, and then re-entered the highway (I'm thinking BS, just give me the stupid ticket, let me pay it, and I'll be on my way). Then, he decided to cut me a break. He wasn't going to give me a ticket after all. A second officer pulls up and starts walking around my car. He bends over, picks something up off the ground and then walks back to the squad car where I am. It's drugs, he says. The first officer handcuffs me and puts me in the back of his squad car. He tells me he now has probable cause to search my vehicle, and he takes my keys. He told me that because I had thrown the drugs out of my car, I was looking at some serious prison time, possibly decades. He told me to come clean, confess, or turn in some other drug dealer, and he'd go easy on me. I wasn't doing anything illegal, and I had nothing to confess. He left me in the squad while he searched my car. First, the inside, then the trunk. I knew what he was going to find in the trunk. He opened it, and hit paydirt. All of my Diane stuff. I could see him get on the radio, and before I knew it, there were ten squad cars there. All of the officers took turns holding up my dresses, and throwing them down on the rainy highway. They pulled out all of my personal items and photographed them, and the first cop finally came back to me. He said that he believed that my dresses were stolen, and said I'd have to prove I had a job and the means to buy the items I had. That meant he had to call my employer. I worked for a very small company, so my boss answered the phone. The cop didn't really ask my boss any questions, it was more a snitching out. He asked if my boss knew why I would be traveling across county with a trunk full of women's clothing, then asked my boss if I ever used or transported drugs. My boss didn't answer, and the cop thanked him for his time. Then, he uncuffed me, said that the drugs they found tested to be sweet-and-low, and told me to "get out of here". I was forced to pick up all of my stuff off of the highway, including my laptop computer. Some of my stuff ended up in the traffic lanes and got run over, but no one cared. I pulled away and drove to the next exit. It was right then and there that I knew what it felt to be raped. I've told this story before, but except for my wife, no one else has ever heard the Diane part of the story. I still have nightmares because of this, and I don't feel that I can dress safely or have privacy anywhere. I found out years later that these cops were working off of a script, and this happened to many motorists (although they got to have some extra fun at my expense).
    Last edited by Lorileah; 06-28-2016 at 12:59 PM. Reason: word filter

Great stories Diane,
    Yes the Righteous saleslady!
    California was a police state years ago. I had a similar incident happen to me there in the 80's and it was pretty scary. Amazingly people think crossdressers are sickoes. Some of the finest people I have met are crossdressers while I have come across some nasty cops : )).
    Thanks for sharing : )

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I have my own lying, power hungry, gestapo style police stories from the '60's, Diane. Don't trust them to this day. Altho, that was decades before I thot to try on any ladies things.

It was way before we found how racist and prejudiced some can be. And, their "us against the world" mentality.
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

The police story was from about 10 years ago.
    Last edited by Lorileah; 06-28-2016 at 01:01 PM. Reason: no need to quote post above yours

Wow Diane, quite a story. Yeah, been though some of that a few years back myself. Hard to trust the boys in blue. But I have met a few good ones. Still hard to trust though. Yeah it was hard years ago. Today it seems much better. For long I don't know as we seem to be slipping back into the past bigotry and that will put us back into hiding. Hope it doesn't happen soon though.
    Part Time Girl

Banned Read only
    Wow Diane! I've stared down a cops flashlight en tween once but no drama (and I didn't event have ID on me at the time)...I imagine he just knew I had some stuff going on and he respected that (or he was a a fellow sister) who knows, mind you, I'm totally hot (like sooo hot) in MAC Russian Red 😉 )

I'm so sorry to hear about your experience but the muggles aren't all bad!

I know, I'm just having a hard time with it. I hear things are much easier going out now. Maybe sometime...
    Last edited by Lorileah; 06-28-2016 at 01:02 PM. Reason: no need to quote post above yours

That's terrible!!! I don't like cops, even a little bit. But I've been stopped twice while dressed without any problems. Once many years ago, I was walking down a remote two track in the forest in a dress and heels. Murphys law kicked in, and here comes a car through the woods with a couple old seniors in it. I ran back to my car and got out of there. A few minutes later a county sheriff pulls me over, takes my license and checks me out. He says "We had a report of a man wearing a dress.....like you're wearing, acting suspiciously". I said, "Yeah, I guess it would look suspicious to some people". He just handed me back my license and said "You can go". He was an older guy, kinda laid back.
    Another time I was walking around in a roadside park around midnight in a dress and heels. No one was around. I see headlights coming down the road, and all of a sudden a spotlight scans the park, and lands on me. Oh crap. I ran back to the car as the cops pulled in behind me. I was really scared. They said to just calm down and took my license and checked me out. They came back to the car, handed me my license and said, "The park is closed, you can't be in here. And they drove a way.
    One thing I have learned, is that young people don't care. But beware of seniors! They will call the cops on you in a heartbeat. They just report a "suspicious person" and they are concerned. I hear it day and night on my scanner. The seniors spend their lives peeking out the window and calling the police on people for the slightest reason.

When I'd go out, I was always more afraid of people with children freaking out and calling the police on me. Granted, I wasn't doing anything wrong, just shopping (while tastefully dressed (which to me means acceptable at church)).

Banned Read only
    Diane,
    That's a terrible story, I hope today that can never happen , I can understand your reluctance to be caught out dressed.
    We all know those cops were out of line but where do you go to prove the point ? They have the upper hand when you're in that compromising situation.
    I would like to think UK police are more forgiving, but no one can say what the circumstances could be for it to happen anywhere, not all cops are good ones !!

As for your boss, I know what we would all like to call him , I bet it's a great relief you now work for yourself.
    I know that's not all a bed of roses we need the money no matter what, I had to get to photograph my wedding bookings no matter what, sometimes with a sickness bug and even on one occasion with my arm in a plaster cast !
    Last edited by Teresa; 06-28-2016 at 10:36 AM.

Banned Read only
    I know your stories are from some years ago, but, I do not think much has really changed over the years. As far back as the early 1960's I saw a New York State police officer lie in court over nothing more than a traffic infraction. He was caught by a knowledgeable judge. I always figured, if a police officer would lie about something so insignificant when he could have fessed up to the truth, then he would definitely lie about something serious. Within the last two years a friend had a traffic infraction and was cited by a Washington State patrol officer. The officer blatantly lied in court over really nothing. Again, if a police officer would lie about minor infractions, then he or she would lie about anything.

I have African-American relatives who are squeaky clean and good citizens who are profiled all the time. It's called "driving while black."

Cell phone cameras are the best thing invented.

Sorry you were treated so badly. This is a prime example of why many of us grew up in the closet. You young people really do not understand the history of being a cross dresser, gay, lesbian or transgender.
    Last edited by Stephanie47; 07-03-2016 at 11:13 AM. Reason: spelling

Diane, I had that happen at a chain retail outlet. I went there to buy a dress for myself. The only SA in the women's clothing was a very old woman. Long story short, she refused to wait on me or sell me anything. Needless to say I do not shop any place that does not want my money.

Hi Amy, I guess I've been fortunate because I've not had any problems with sales people, especially in the larger department stores. I've seen some grouchy looking sales people...which I avoid. I never understand any salesperson who would deny a sale = $$$$=profits (hopefully). I was recently out looking for a summer sleeveless blouse. The saleslady looked nice, smiled at me and offered to help. I immediately felt comfortable with her. She asked me several questions...size, color, for wife, etc. and I immediately knew all the answers. She found exactly what I was looking for. She then held it up to me, smiled and said she thought this would look nice on me. My heart almost skipped a beat. She smiled again and told me she understood. I wound up buying a lot more than I planned. The next time I shopped, I looked for her, but she wasn't there...day off maybe. I was sad and left. I returned the next day and she was there...with a warm smile. After we found a summer dress, she suggested I try it on....wow...so I did. I was wearing thigh highs, panties and a bra underneath. She patted my back and I knew...she knew. Normally, I'd freak out, but didn't. She just smiled.

Slip Into Something Femme Piora's Avatar
    That's awesome, NancySue! If only it was easier to find sympathetic, helpful salesladies! I would shop in person, if I knew of any.
    "Taking the time to be in touch with my feminine side"

I never understand any salesperson who would deny a sale = $$$$=profits (hopefully).
    It's easy, if it isn't their store.

I am trying to figure out why the lady took your picture or banned you from the stores for buying pantyhose. Were you stealing pantyhose all along before you decided to buy them?

I got pulled over once while dressed pretty I must say but it all went well and no ticket, no one found out, and it pushed me to have the talk with my SO which was a huge blessing.

Any CSR in any store that doesn't want to ring me up will get a manager and that manager will have to do a lot of explaining to me. My SO and I do a lot of shopping together, not because I need her there but if I am going to be wasting money she should be wasting it with me. We went shopping just a couple of days ago and I found it very hard to find anything I wanted because I like things that have a bit of arm cover and what not and it's hard finding things like that during the summer months but I'll be damned if I am going to search and search and if I find that one thing I want, be denied at the register because someone has a perceived notion or what not.
    Last edited by Lorileah; 06-29-2016 at 12:42 PM. Reason: don't try and bypass the word filter
    Flip Flops were made for Beaches & Bath Houses, We have neither in 2017. Lose the flip flops!

Diane,

I have known several people getting pulled over with the same circumstances. Very frightening. The police pulls them over cuffs them over a bogus claim, sits them in their car while they destroy, rip apart, everything in their car. "Looking for evidence"... I had a friend tell me that after they were done and they were released. He took out his phone called his lawyer, and filmed / took pictures of what they did to his personal belongings. When his lawyer showed up, his lawyer asked him if he entered the car or touched anything. He said no, then he called a news agency. He ended up staying at that spot for more than five hours total. When they were done the police chief, section leader, and the officer that pulled him over picked up everything, gave him a receipt and was told that he would get either money or his items replaced...

Since then i avoid the cops at all costs. I don't wish for anything like that to happen to me. So if pulled over keep your mouth shut. Ask to have a lawyer present. Who's time are you wasting? Or would you rather all your things destroyed.

Learn the laws of your state, and the states you're traveling through. Retain a lawyer or make some lawyer friends.

@--}-----
    Michelle

So, couldn't you have been buying pantyhose for your wife or girlfriend? Not that it's the battleax's business. It's perfectly normal for a guy to buy clothing for his SO, i.e. birthday present or just because. Old lady never bought underwear for her husband?
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

Diane,
    Thank you for sharing your stories. I hope you find the forum to be a safe and supportive place to let the light shine on experiences where you have been treated unfairly, have suffered consequences which are not justified, and have had to make choices which have not allowed you the freedom to express your inner being. I hope you continue to share, and find what you are looking for.. Perhaps in a size 12?

Lauren

Wow! I sorry for your terrible and scary event, yikes. The worse I have has was at a thrift store, a lady said “Aren't you in the wrong section”. I did get stopped once by an officer, for expired plates. I was driving en fem and saw the officer turn around and come after me with lights on. I took off my wig before he got to my truck, I was wearing a mid-caff khaki dress, boots with about 3' heals. He came to the window and did a double take at me (no makeup), and went on like normal. I think he was board and saw the expired plates and a woman driving and thought what the heck. I didn't get a ticket, but was shaking terribly, it was exciting. Those are the worse experiences I have had, I am sorry yours were virtually scaring. I guess living in the Pacific Northwest has it's advantages.

Back in the seventies they used to set up 'check points'. I was probably stopped thirty or so times. I remember one time I was stopped. I had decided shortly before that not to dress that day when I went to do some shopping in another city. All checkpoints were operated only during the day (or so it was believed). During that era I would have been taken into custody had I been dressed and my wife would have been called. I felt great relief when I left the checkpoint area.

Sorry, been on the road for the last few days, and couldn't respond.

Ressie - I don't think she thought it was for my wife or GF, I clearly looked 15 years old (which I was).

Joanne - No, I wasn't stealing anything, then or before, but that woman sure made it known that I didn't belong there.

Teresa - I'm very happy working for myself. I don't have to worry about getting fired because of my dressing. Not that I would ever tell anyone at work. Aside from my wife and one of my GG friends, I haven't told anyone. People have found out by violating my privacy.

Lauren - Actually a size 13 (shoe that is... If the high heel fits, right?)

I didn't mention it as a "lightning strike" because I'm not really traumatized about it, but also when I was 15 or so, the kid next door found out about my dressing. He broke into our house when we were on vacation and went through my room. When we got home, my pantyhose were on my bedroom floor, but I managed to hide them before my parents saw (they were too busy going through their own things trying to figure out what was stolen). The cops caught the kid before school started again and he got sent to jail for a few years, although I was sure he'd rat me out to my friends (I guess he just never got the chance to). I think I graduated before he got out of jail.