Thread: Starting to seriously consider surgery and/or HRT

Starting to seriously consider surgery and/or HRT

I'm currently looking for a therapist, but wanted to stop in and ask those who have gone through/are going through HRT and/or surgery for suggestions, tips, things to consider not, especially when it comes to finding a good therapist for me.

Any information is appreciated. I definitely don't want to rush into anything, but at the same time I feel like I've spent so long suppressing the real me at this point I don't want to wait any longer.

Also if anyone has any suggestions on therapists/doctors in the NJ area, especially Northern NJ it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    -Sarah

Silver Member
    Find someone who is an honest to God gender therapist. That means: they belong to WPATH or a gender clinic, they have training specifically in gender (and I don't mean a course or two in college), and they have experience, preferably including experience with transitioners. It is also helpful if they have a working relationship with a endocrinologist or other physician who has some experience in prescribing and monitoring cross-sex hormone regimens.

You'll save yourself a lot of time and expense if you put together a list of potentially interesting therapists and call them to do a quick screening. Most good therapists, if they are not qualified to take on a gender client, will be happy to refer you to someone they know who is, assuming they know any.

I don't know you, but it is likely that you are way too early to start thinking about surgery.
    Lea

Hi Sarah!!!... "Things to consider"?.... There is a lot to consider when it comes to transition and a WPATH therapist can help you sort things out... I believe the WPATH website has links to local providers or you can seek out members of the local Trans community and see what they have to say on the subject. Transition can be a bumpy road at times and it can bring happiness at levels never even dreamed of before... I think it is a bit different for everyone but for me it was filled with revelations about myself, my past, my road ahead, my connections to others and to the world around me. It taught me that life is truly what we make it to be.

Take Care,
    Ashley 😀

Long process...designed that way....take step by step.........transition was an easy process for Moi...but you have to take that DEEP look at ALL the ripple effects that will occur....I wish you luck and that you find that happy place....

Quote Originally Posted by LeaP View Post
    I don't know you, but it is likely that you are way too early to start thinking about surgery.
    I should have clarified what I meant by surgery. I don't actually plan on going through SRS, at least not at this point. But I am seriously considering cosmetic surgery, possibly even in place of HRT altogether.

That's a big part of why I am asking for advice in finding the right therapist for me. I want to make sure I find a therapist that will help me find the right solutions for me before moving forward. I appreciate the info you've already provided!