Thread: The ultimate irony.

The ultimate irony.

A relative I haven't seen for eleven years is coming from England next week. Aside from the hilarity that she doesn't know I've changed (I have a weird sense of humour sometime) that's not the point.
    She has changed her name from Lisa, to Anna.
    While I fully expect her to call me my real name, in conversation about her visit with my family, I have dead-named her numerous times.
    Each time I feel like a hypocrite, and I will concentrate on only calling her her new real name now.
    I am creating my own double standard. Her escaping a name given to her by her toxic father, and me by my transition are equally valid.

Well, if she does dead name you, you can always get all passive aggressive and do the same to her. She'll probably learn pretty quickly that way...L.O.L.

I have definitely experienced that too. A bartender I like changed his name and I always mess up. A FtM made the mistake of telling me his previous female name and then the next time I met him I proceeded to call him "She" and "Her" about 20 times before throwing in the towel. Another MtF acquaintance recently de-transitioned changed their name and added to my confusion. All are obviously my problem alone. Take that and those occasional slip ups, I make too many mistakes! But, I keep trying to improve. Maybe one day??

How about a up date gf

Paula, Don't be too hard on yourself about dead naming your relative. My Aunt changed her name and I haven't done it directly to her but when talking to other family members I slip all the time. I haven't lived this yet. I am only out to 7 people. Add my Mom to the list yesterday :-) but my intention going in is if it seems like people's hearts are in the right place that's good enough for me.

You should be hard on yourself if you dead name her. Because you know how much it hurts, even when it is accidental or a "slip up".

I hope your visit goes well and you both have a good time and a chance to reconnect.

Yeah, that's true. I shouldn't dead name my aunt even when it is not directly with her.
    Last edited by Rianna Humble; 07-16-2016 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Don't quote the entire preceding post

Ok, Cindy asked for an update. No probs with her name, I was the only one who didn't dead name her.
    The truly funny part of the story- No, she did not get the memo. I jumped out of the car, kissed her, and said 'long time no see'. We drove about an hour, and she asked how Eric was. I told her Eric had died four years ago. Then she said 'And how's Paul?'
    Long pause.............My sister and I were speechless. After regaining some composure, my sister pointed at me, and said 'That's Paul'.
    We had a lovely visit, and I got to know her much better.

that's too funny, Paula. Who the heck did she think planted the kiss on her when you got out of the car?