Thread: Good News and Bad News from the Doctor

Good News and Bad News from the Doctor

I went to my cardiologist today, and as the title says, got good news and bad sews.

First the bad news. I have "orthostatic hypotension" that is not very well controlled by the drugs available to treat it. The hypotension part is low (not high) blood pressure. Today, my BP was 104/60 while sitting. The orthostatic part means that my blood pressure drops upon moving from a reclining position to a sitting position, and especially from a kneeling position to a standing position. It can drop so low that I get lightheaded and sometimes get close to passing out. Last year I was prescribed a drug that had a side effect of lowering my blood pressure further. I passed out the first day I took it, and banged my head against the wall on the way to the floor. It bled very nicely for a while.

Now the good news. Apparently, the veins in my legs don't contract as fast as they're supposed to and too much blood pools in the legs, depriving the brain of blood, and more importantly, oxygen. Well, today, the doctor asked me if I ever wore compression stockings. I told him, "No!", but I told him a little lie. I actually do own and have worn compression stockings. Anyhow (the good news is that) he told me that I should try wearing compression stockings to see if it helps. Yea, I actually have an Rx for compression stockings. He said they come in knee high socks for men, but that they also come thigh high, waist high and to just below the breast.

He also said that I may need my wife to help me get them on. If he only knew, but my cardiologist is not read into the program. I won't need any of my wife's help getting them on. I only wish that she was there with me, because she won't believe it when I tell her that the cardiologist told me to wear pantyhose.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

Ha! I love it Steffi. Should have had the prescription notarized. She who is not obeyed will never believe it.

Rhonda
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Be all the woman that you can be!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    . . . and now, On With The Show!

Albuquerque, NM (SE of there in mountain foothills)
    Dang, take care of yourself Steffi!

My blood pressure hangs in the pre-hypertension levels. But my primary care doc is not worried. His BP is higher than mine and he scurries about some 10 years my elder as/or more active than the Energizer Bunny!

Poor blood circulation in my lower legs and ankles. My rheumatologist (I suffer from RA) told me long ago to wear compression stockings. Never admitted to this fine lady that I wear pantyhose on a regular basis. Have my annual appointment in Sept. Should I come out of the closet now?

Dunno, but suspect that my wearing pantyhose does meet several needs quite well!

L

I do not have a heart problem a far as I and my doctor know, but I also had a prescription for compression stocking, the firm type, I think 30-40 HG. I got my first pair at a specialty pharmacy. Then I looked them up on eBay. Pharmacy cost around $55.00 plus 8+% CA sales tax. On eBay they are from about $35 t0 $45 dollars. My problem is poor circulation where the little check valve in the blood vessels do not close completely thus leaving excess blood in the lower legs.

They are hard to get on. A trick is to wear a pair of rubber house cleaning gloves to help adjust the socks and smooth out any ridges. Once they stretch out some after repeated uses you do not need them. Good luck with your health issues. I have enough of my own too.

Regarding your bad news, it's really not that bad. I was diagnosed with orthostatic hypotension quite a few years ago. I jumped out of bed one morning and everything went black and I dropped straight to the floor. I've since learned not to get up so fast and it's fine. Definitely a condition you can learn to live with without affecting quality of life.

Aussie girl enjoying life Michelle (Oz)'s Avatar
    I've worn compression stockings for some years ago for defective valves. Marvellous to stop my leg swelling to double normal size. You CAN get male knee highs but the thigh highs are more CD friendly. Make sure you get the better quality ones (around $90) so they last without stretching. If they stretch they lose their preventative benefit. They're easy to don with a frame and rubber gloves supplied by the major suppliers of compression stockings.

One downside of compression stockings is breaking another rule of dressing - not wearing stockings with sandals. Rules are made to be broken particularly in summer.

Sorry to hear about your hypertension. I hope you can get things under control. In the meantime enjoy your compression stockings.

Banned Read only
    If you have a mild case of hypotension I would recommend buying over the counter support pantihose. I have some issues with my legs. The little bit of dizziness upon getting up seems to be par for us aging folks. I have to sit on the edge of the bed and get my "sea legs" before ambling off for the day. I also have to rise slowly from checking the bottom shelf of books at a book store. Be sure your doctor does a serious annual workup to catch any diagnosis that can contribute to low blood pressure. You may want to also invest in a blood pressure cuff to monitor your own BP and keep a log of it. The VA gave me a BP cuff.

Anyway so much for the medical stuff. There are times when the neuropathy in my legs just aches like crazy. Before I considered buying compression stockings I gave support pantyhose a try. I found some to be just as difficult as compression stocking to put on. They may give you enough support for readings of 104/60. I've had readings of less than 104 many times without the need for any compression. I've been in the 60's on the bottom number frequently.

From a medical viewpoint get the BP cuff so you can monitor yourself frequently to see just when and how low your BP is going during the day. The VA doctors I see are thankful for the log/journal I maintain which gives an adequate view of my BP rather than just one or two readings during the year. Hypotension is defined as BP of less than 90/60 on either number.

Stephanie, I think you're mixing problems here. The compression stockings are for defective valves which prevent blood returning in veins in Steffi's legs. These might have been caused by a DVT as in my case and not a function of blood pressure.

Being given an Rx (prescription?) suggests that a heavier compression stocking is required than provided by support pantyhose.

Banned Read only
    Well, I did not read that Steffi's doctor gave a diagnosis of DVT, deep vein thrombosis. That would be a potentially grave condition. My pantyhose recommendation in lieu of compression hosiery was based on Steffi saying her physician said to try them to see if they help. A BP of 104/60 for one reading is not drastically low. Low enough to cause dizziness...yes. My recommendation was to try support pantyhose because for a mild condition that strength may be enough. Compression stockings come in various strengths (4), and, the heaviest strength may be too strong. I suspect the prescription is to get potential insurance payments. Otherwise they're over the counter.

I am not suggesting the diagnosis is wrong. There are many causes of lightheaded feelings. A cardiologist may overlook other reasons, and, another specialty may look no further for an answer because a diagnosis has already been proposed by another doctor. I've run into that myself. Any person with a blood pressure problem should be self monitoring and keeping a log/journal. It assist a doctor in ruling out or ruling in diagnoses. Having a BP reading taken only when in the doctors' office or ill is really insufficient to establish a baseline for the patient.

I also was prescribed compression hose for pitted edema. I had the $90 ones that Michelle referred to. Looked like Granny's pantyhose to me, but if you put regular stocking over them you didn't even have to shave anymore. Just saying....

Genny B
    Dani (Genny before Transition)
    All Girl!

Quote Originally Posted by Sometimes Steffi View Post
    Apparently, the veins in my legs don't contract as fast as they're supposed to and too much blood pools in the legs, depriving the brain of blood, and more importantly, oxygen.
    This is the problem and compression stockings the solution. I'd have thought the prescription would have specified the compression strength. I was prescribed 20-30mmhg.

Quote Originally Posted by Genny B View Post
    Looked like Granny's pantyhose to me....
    LOL. The ones I use are a bit more expensive but really do look quite good. See for example, http://www.compressionstockings.com/...der-p-379.html

For those who go to VA they provide a metal tubing frame upon which one rolls down the stockings. Then stick your legs into it and pull them up. Possibly a medical supply store has them as well.
    For me --- gave up support and depend on thigh-hi and pantyhose --- works fairly well in my case.
    Julie
    Summer-wear time

Just can't help myself! Brenda456's Avatar
    My wife has used prescription grade support stockings. They just about require some type of heavy equipment to put them on.

Quote Originally Posted by Genny B View Post
    I also was prescribed compression hose for pitted edema. I had the $90 ones that Michelle referred to. Looked like Granny's pantyhose to me, but if you put regular stocking over them you didn't even have to shave anymore. Just saying....Genny B
    Funny, I use having to wear compression stockings as the reason that I DO shave my legs, just get tired of ripping the little hairs out when pulling those thick stockings up. Putting them on? Cover the toes with a stocking end, and powder the lower legs. They pull right up. DON'T powder anywhere's near the top that needs to stay in place to hold the stockings up, or they'll slip down.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Hi Steffi,
    Just wanted to share some info with you. I have had a triple bypass and then two stents so I share similar problems. My son said to me that I should remember
    to go to the ground whenever I feel something strange. With all my Doctors you would think they would have told me that. Most people get hurt as a result of the fall.
    I also have a "lifeline" button that is tracked by satellite so they can send me help wherever I am. Just sharing cause I care..