Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: too tall to transition?

Amazing Member
    There are some tall transsexual women here. I understand that clothing and other appearance matters have to be much more carefully managed, that's all.
    NOTICE: Any institutions or individuals using this site or any of its associated sites for studies, projects or any other reasons, PLEASE BE WARNED THAT You DO NOT have MY permission to use any of my profile or pictures in any form or ANY forum posts both current and future. If you have DONE THIS or do IT, I MAY consider IT a violation of my rights to privacy and it may as a result, even be the subject of the appropriate action, including steps permitted under the law involving courts and lawyers. Why not ask for my approval and permission first?

Height is just a number, just like age.... If you truly need to transition you will do it regardless of height, age, and everything else.... These are only barriers in our minds that are self imposed..

I'm tall, I transitioned, I survived, and not once has my height been a factor in acceptance in any shape way or form.

Yup... 6'4" here

How about 6'4''?

If you feel you need to transition, transition. The details will work itself out.
    I thought I was too tall, too fat, my voice was too low.
    So I didn't push to transition even though I wanted it more than anything else.
    Each time I lost hope of ever transitioning, I became very self destructive.
    When I found out I sang bass, I turned to booze and drugs.
    When I was forced to quit or never have contact with my kids again,
    I gained weight until I had a heart attack and a stroke.
    I almost missed my daughter's wedding.

When I did transition in 1988, I was happier and healthier than I had ever been.
    By the start of 1990 I'd lost over 100 lbs.

When I had to abort transition I doubled my weight to 330 lbs.
    When I started to transition again in 2010, I lost weight, I exercised more.
    My heart health was better than ever. And I actually looked and felt younger.
    Facebook - Debbie Lawrence
    Web - [URL="http://www.debbieballard.org"]DebbieBallard.org{/URL]
    See also:
    Open4Success

Quote Originally Posted by RachelX View Post
    I am six foot four. I was still in elementary school when I unequivocally decided that I would begin living as a woman right after college. With great enthusiasm and optimism I looked forward to my sixteenth birthday when I could get a driver's license and travel to areas safely beyond where I lived to go out in public as a girl, in preparation for the life I was going to live. Unfortunately by the time I started high school I was already well over six feet tall. Optimism and excitement turned to depression and dread. I gave up all hope, resigned to a life that I did not want to live. Fast forward many years and I could no longer take it. Charles the Bold said "It is not necessary to hope in order to undertake, nor to succeed in order to persevere"; so with (almost) no hope I began my transition. My height was already an inconvenience, it was now something significantly more than that. Match this up with a broadcast announcers voice and facial features of a man and the result is less than preferred. I attract a lot of attention and cannot pass even at a distance. And it's even worse up close. Even with all that going against me transitioning is the best thing I ever did for myself. Sure, I would love to be another Andrea Pejic, but that is not going to happen. FFS would help my inner and outer situation immensely but I'm not waiting around for it. My point is that my circumstances could be described as much less preferred than most others and transition was still the right thing to do. And specifically re height: I found it to be the thing of possibly the least significance. There is no such thing as being too tall (or too anything else) to transition.
    This really moved me... So impressed with your mindset and honesty... the reality of this question is that in the end, its not gonna matter... not to be too fatalistic, but if you are high intensity ts and if you "fight" it, its just not going to work out that great no matter how tall or short
    I am real

Wear heels. People will think 'Wow look how tall she is', and just as fast say 'Oh, it's the heels.'
    My GF and I go everywhere together, we're both 6'. So far nobody has commented.

I actively play volleyball and I am on a national volleyball team. I am 5'6" and the shortest person on the team. I don't know if any of the others are transsexual, it is not a topic we discuss. However, I sometimes wonder given where I came from.

Recently I attended a local college game with my daughters. After the game I went down to talk to the coaches. The team was walking off the court at the time. They were all giants. About 14 college kids all of which could have stepped on me and crushed me like bug. Do I think you are too tall to transition? My opinion doesn't matter, but attend a women's volleyball or basketball game and sit near the teams benches, then make that decision for yourself.
    - AF

Look girl, act girl, feel girl ... be girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Megan G View Post
    Height is just a number, just like age . . . . These are only barriers in our minds that are self imposed.

At 6'4 and dimwittedly thick skulled, it took me a ridiculously long time to recognize, acknowledge, and accept this very simple truth. But when I finally did, I was able to release myself, in earnest, from a prison of my own making and walk away a free woman . . . .