Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: For how many is this just a hobby? Something you feel you can quit at any time?

For myself this has become an art form which I enjoy doing. I did quit for a couple of years after I made it a choice rather that leave it as a compulsion. I had other hobbies but this one is specific to itself. Hard to say when things started exactly but in general I began CDing at age 12.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    I could never downplay this passionate compulsion as just a hobby. It's an expression of a whole other self.
    And starting was not my fault. Mom's bras kept calling me from the drawer!
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

I seem to be the exception here...I DO feel this is a hobby for me. Like other hobbies it would suck to stop. Also just because it's a hobby doesn't mean you can easily stop. If you think about hobbies, they don't make much sense ether. Suppose you like carpentry, why bother to make a table when you can buy one for maybe less then the raw materials to make one? You do it because you like!
    The point is it doesn't have to make sense nor be easy to stop to be a hobby. Of course I'm not saying it is a hobby for everyone, as this thread clearly shows.
    I'm just saying it can be a hobby for some, it just seems it's not often the case.

I've stopped dressing for a few months recently (mostly because I haven' had much time to do it) and didn't really feel the need to dress. Now that I have a bit more free time, I came back to it.
    During that same period, I've stopped playing games and was way more eager to play again then I was to dress.

I'm not quite sure how I've started dressing, but I think I've always liked the way girls look and their clothes. I do like the male stuff too and would like to just be able to dress in whichever cloth items I feel like at the time, mix and matching from both sides...or not, depending on my mood

Aspiring Member
    I wouldn't use the term 'hobby' - this is hardly anything I do for enjoyment. Yes, I enjoy it, but enjoyment isn't exactly the end in my decision to wear the appearance of the gender opposite my birth sex. I'm into modeling (well, scale modeling, not being a fashion model, booth babe or race queen) - and I can put off my next build without any qualms, but not the compulsion to 'get dressed'.

It likely started from an urge, a compulsion of some form - like a nagging voice in the back of my head that all means have failed to shut up. In order not to make myself a victim to it, I declared the physical act of crossdressing a habit. Something that I am compelled to repeatedly do. And in this habit I seek and derive a lasting sense of solace and comfort, rather than firework-like gratification. And unlike my other hobbies, I don't really get any sense of achievement from it. For that matter, there isn't any pride in this affliction, only a desire not to be ashamed on my part.

If my hobbies are seven star resorts, then my crossdressing compulsion is the Hotel California.

For me it is an urge. Something within compelling the activity. I don't feel like it defines me in any way. Early on it was a curiosity about girls. What was it like to touch their boobs. That quickly morphed into, what would it feel like to have my own. I had a 6th grade teacher that wore sleeveless shirts and every time she held up something you could see right in. No wonder I had a 105 grade in her class. All of this was extremely sexual in nature and in large part still is today. But it really depends on how much time I have as to what happens. It could be a quickie, or being dressed all day/night. But either way it is extremely pleasurable!!

Sadly with kiddos running around "me time" is hard to find.

I am absolutely drawn to bras. The design, materials, etc. Could be on a woman, in the store window, doesn't matter. I love it when a bra strap is showing or you can make out the lines under a shirt. They are amazing to me. Some days I will sit and shop online just looking at all of the styles etc. Corsets, garters, all of that gets the blood pumping. I appreciate other clothing but not as compelled to wear it.

I am a part time crossdresser, although I would never call it a hobby. I have urges to dress, but they're not overwhelming. I know I could go for a long time without dressing if I needed to, but I don't think I could ever give it up. I tried to quit before, twice, but ended up coming back to it. I don't think I could ever replace it with something else, because I don't think there is anything else that gives the thrill and satisfaction that comes from crossdressing.

Silver Member
    To me, the word "hobby" implies an activity, enjoyable though it may be, that is less important than the general business of daily life. The word "frivolous" comes to mind. That's definitely not the case with my dressing. While I have no plans to undergo transition or even to live full time, my time spent dressed up is precious to me and I refuse to give it up. I am not happy, healthy or whole if my femme side cannot be a full partner in my life. Fortunately, my wife understands this and has never given me the ultimatum.

Kate. An art form, and creativity, artistic expression, for sure, here, too. As many are turned off by today's automobiles, and eally get into vintage ones. And vintage airplanes, and trains, so , it seems like many of us older CD's have a kind of hobby of getting into older vintage styles, and also because so very few GG's wear older vintage syles we so badly miss.
    Last edited by Alice Torn; 07-23-2016 at 12:57 AM.

It's far more than a hobby for me, it's definitely a strong compulsion. I want to dress and look as much like a woman as I can. If I ever get really good at it, I will have a problem, because I will want to do it more and more. Maybe that why subconsciously I keep eating cheeseburgers and drinking beer instead of eating properly to fit into that size 12! Seriously though, I wish it were just a hobby. It's far deeper for me.

I don't want to get caught up in discussing just what constitutes a "hobby". I am retired and have an accepting wife. I can crossdress almost any day that I want to. However, I only dress and get out and about en femme on average about 4 days a month. That is simply because that's all I choose to do. I am not interested in crossdressing full time. I crossdress because it is enjoyable for me. Is it a compulsion for me? Perhaps it is. Certainly there is something inside me that pushes me to do it. I do think I will stop crossdressing when it's not any fun anymore. That day may come someday - but, I hope not.
    Phoebe

I'm not entirely sure as this is still relatively early days for me. It's something I enjoy and something I would like to spend more time doing and getting better at but I've never felt that I need to dress. I suppose I'm still on the fence at the minute.

Silver Member
    There is no way this is a "hobby" for me! When I can't dress for a while I get much more impatient and irritable. In fact this can happen in advance of those dress-less times just from the anticipation. I can get some relief from doing some typical feminine things like a pedicure or facial but they are just poor stop-gap measures.

Sure I can quit... I've done it any number of times. And I can quit again after I start back up next time

It's definitely not a hobby for me.

Elizabeth

Aspiring Member
    for me it is a compulsion i am in the middle of a purge and cessation of dressing right now
    i have tried exercise,alcohol, drugs and a multitude of other things to stop but only when
    i pass away will these urges stop its no hobby golf and bowling are hobbies dressing is a
    COMPULSION!

I don't think I could ever quit. I am a heterosexual male, yet the desire to look and feel like a woman is overwhelming. It's an odd feeling, looking at a beautiful woman and being simultaneously sexually attracted to her, and envious of how she looks

I could stop it yes. The feminine expression, or my overall femininity would be actually harder to deal with than dressing in women's clothing. I do not consider it to be a hobby. My 1st actual urge happened when I was 17. Saw a woman I was attracted to, and then suddenly it wasn't I want to be with her, I just wanted to be her. Life hasn't been the same since....
    Last edited by Lorileah; 07-20-2016 at 02:55 PM. Reason: You don't need to quote OP
    Chickens should be allowed to cross the road without having their motives questioned

Not a hobby, but as Chastity said "it's some sort of internal drive..."
    Tina

Gendermutt, I can relate. There was a very tall, beautiful young farm girl a mile up the road from us, and at about14, she really blossomed, and got on and off the school bus in sleeveless fairly tight knee length dresses, and showing her amazingly beautiful long legs in nylons, and low heels. She blossomed a lot more, became a six foot two Amazon, in superb shape from hard farm work. I tried to date her when she was 18, but she rejected me. I found myself wanted to dress up and look like her, thus the name Alice Torn, which is one letter different from her maiden name. I portray her fairly well. Dressing became a compulsion, more than any hobby. I quit for many years, though, and at age 51, it hit me hard again.
    Last edited by Alice Torn; 07-21-2016 at 11:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DaniChan View Post
    You do it because you like!
    See, that's the difference. Sure, I felt better when dressed as a girl when I was a kid. But it wasn't for fun that I did it. I did it then, as today, because I felt like I was supposed to. I don't get any enjoyment out of it. It's the reverse, actually; I feel bad when I don't wear girl clothes.
    When I'm wearing mens clothing, I feel like I'm doing something that I'm not supposed to do.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

That's the 64,000 dollar question ins't it. i have stopped a couple of times and of course purged everything. I have started back up a year or so ago and am off to the races with many dresses and even five or 6 wigs. Right now I feel it is my happy that doesn't hurt anyone and doesn't cost too much (i am a cheap shopper). i did start this in my teens and am now in many late 60's. I don't see me doing this in my 80's though, but that's a ways away. so I will stay tuned and we will see.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/lovethatdress/

Dressed in my special wardrobe i am much more comfortable with everything in general. There is no need to become a woman just to be me.I love dresses and my painted toes,no Hobby or special need to be someone else. Ladys underwear, or panties are lighter and more comfortable that's why i prefer them. No mystery! Quite often these days we over think things,to me ......it is what it is..

as much as i enjoy it...it's more like an addiction than a hobby...i would get rid of it if i could even tough i obviously like it...but if i had the choice..i really wish i wouldn't have the urge