Thread: My dress boutique experience, I thought I'd share

Smile My dress boutique experience, I thought I'd share

Hello all,

I've had a pretty positive experience in the past couple of weeks, and I thought I'd share it with you people if anyone needs a bit of encouragement to go out and do stuff.

I'm a 34 year old genderfluid male, at least I think that's what I call myself? (I'm male, happy with that, but just like to take on the appearance of a female at times, and my personality is constant in either boy or girl mode), and later on this year I thought I'd throw a party, so I'd have the chance of wearing a really good dress. My personal style has always been a bit vintage glamour, so I've dreamed of having a red carpet style dress. Something dramatic. Oh yeah.

So, I had a look online, found there to be many websites with the same pictures on- selling cheap Chinese knockoffs! With no guarantee of quality I'd decided to buy in the flesh. Now, I'm no stranger to shopping in girl mode, but it's tended to be in high street stores, rather than boutiques, which seemed like another step. Anyhow, I found a place that seemed to stock the dress I was after, so I phoned them to make an appointment. They were very polite on the phone, and didn't question if the appointment was for a daughter or anything on hearing my voice!

The day came and I ventured out, the boutique is called Red Carpet Ready, in Lincolnshire, about an hour's drive from me. Usually I'm fairly glam, but toned it down a bit with a blue midi skirt and black vest top with a chunky heel, and more naturalistic makeup. I was well nervous when I got there, a wonderful converted barn and courtyard in the English countryside. There were a few groups of girls there looking at dresses, I was on my own! I went in and said I had an appointment, they seemed very excited to be helping me! They asked what I was after, what styles I like, and we discussed options. They were delightful to be honest, and said things like "you're going to have THE BEST time!" and "that's amazing!" I was then given a chance to pick a few out to take up to the dressing room. I was assigned an assistant too, a young lady who was very sweet and we soon had built up a rapport! I took a few dresses upstairs, opting mostly for glamorous fishtail shapes, which I like as they give me curves. My assistant helped me into them, and again, made nothing of that I was wearing padding and a wig!

I decided upon a full length fishtail dress with a train. As soon as I saw myself in it I thought "yep, this is the one!" I felt fabulous! My assistant agreed! I ordered it in, and picked it up yesterday after a wait of a couple of weeks. I was so happy to get it!

Overall, the whole experience and how I was treated by the staff was wonderful! They were respectful, but also really fun and encouraging, and afterwards I felt like I was gliding on air. I like to think I've done my bit for representing gender nonconforming people out in the world. I can't wait to go back!

I've attached a pic of me in my dress! I still need to get it tailored in a bit though!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I don't think there's anything worse than being ordinary" - Angela, American Beauty.

My Flickr- http://www.flickr.com/photos/107605787@N08/

Beautiful dress and you wear it very well. Enjoy the experience your having.

Very beautiful dress Kahlee you look gorgeous in it. So nice to hear you had a wonderful time picking it out.

You and the dress both look great! One step at a time! Hugs Lana Mae

Very pretty dress, glad to hear you had a wonderful experience. I'm still way nervous about doing it... haven't even looked at Goodwill in a while (also doesn't helps that I couldn't really afford alot right now anyway!).

The boutique staff treated you as a normal girl. This acceptance is very positive.

The dress becomes you.
    ALWAYS plan for the worst, then you can be pleasantly surprised if something else happens!

"The important thing about the bear is not how well she dances, but that she dances at all." - Old Russian Proverb (with a gender change)

You do wear that dress very well - great color too

Love the dress and you are beautiful in it.

you look outstanding in the dress. What a great trip and story.

Thank you for sharing this really inspiring story, and as you said, for doing your part for representing gender noncomforming people. As others have said, it's a gorgeous dress and I hope you have a fantastic party with it.

I love the dress and you wear it well.

Thanks for telling such a life-affirming story.

BTW, I've bought a number of dresses from China on eBay, and most of them were at least as good as pictured. I did have a couple that I didn't like, but the same can be said about everything on eBay.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

Stand-up Comedian En Fem❤ Alice_2014_B's Avatar
    Ooooooohhh I love it!
    Melissa: "... and why are you dressed as a woman?"
    Coach McGuirk: "Because it's freeing."

-Home Movies
    (cartoon series)

Shoe size: 9 US women's.
    Dress size: M to L; 8-10.
    Height: 5' 6".

You look fantastic! I'm so jealous =)

I'm also 34 and your pictures give me hope.

Absolutely amazing =)

Silver Member
    That's a very dramatic dress, and it looks perfect on you! I hope you have a very special occasion in mind for showing it off.

It sounds like the sales staff was more than just okay with helping you. Almost as if they have a special interest in helping a gender fluid male bring out his best femme side? That's been my experience. Lots of sales ladies have brought me dresses to try on, because they "want to see how it looks on you (me)" . It doesn't always work, but sometimes it's a surprise gem that I have to buy!

Glad you had such a great experience, it sounds absolutely magical. And you look just lovely in that dress!

Fantastic story and you look fab! I go out shopping too, but I'm not brave enough to go to a boutique! well done you.

Oh my! You look stunning!
    I can only imagine how much fun you'll have wearing that at a party.

Aw such a beautiful gown. You look stunning you picked the perfect dress. Thanks for sharing your experience its on my bucket list (gown shopping in a boutique). 2 questions! When is your party? And can I come? Haha.

You look stunning in the dress and thanks for sharing the story!!!

Queen of Chinatown jennifer0918's Avatar
    You look amazing

I think that threads like yours scare the heck out of me. They make me think just go for it and then I realize how pretty you are and how bad I look. Just saying. hehe