Thread: How to be trans-friendly...

How to be trans-friendly...

Having been on Facebook for quite some time now, I get to talk to a lot of people online (mostly folks who add me and then proceed to contact me) and the level of ignorance concerning the very simple etiquette of talking to a trans person is simply mind-boggling. Fortunately, I'm not easy to offend, but sometimes even I happen upon the odd person who simply crosses all lines, with what I imagine is a blissfully ignorant smile on his/her face.
    I put together a video addressing the issue of trans-friendliness (it's front and center on my YouTube page - see sig). While the points I covered are rather mundane for someone actually involved in all this, as said above, scores of people haven't got a clue in this respect.

Can you think of anything else in this respect? Something stemming from your own personal journey?
    Thx
    http://www.youtube.com/c/CatchQueen - My YouTube - I post there regularly

I've seen people act like they understand until they are face to face. This is when peoples true colors come out. And of course the media never helps

From what I have seen and this maybe oversimplifying it, there is a great lack of knowledge in the general community. Mostly, things like bathroom bills do not help but it does put the subject out there. I speak up every chance I get I try to educate those around me without outing myself. (closeted crossdresser) The more of us out there the better but society dictates much. I think we all need to do as much as we can. Can not recall names but two new movies and some one writing short essay type stories. I guess little by little we will chip away at the ignorance of people but there will always be those filled with hate. Onward and Upward!!!Hugs Love and Peace Lana Mae

Congrats on making the video.
    As a transwoman, I sometimes see some problems (certainly not often) with cis people not knowing how to deal with us. In general, I find that they see woman, and treat us like women.
    While making videos, and facebook memes sounds like a great idea (and keep making them!) I have noticed. I get about ten things on FB per day. Questions not to ask a trans person, How to date a trans person, Introducing your trans girlfriend to your Pastor, What not to wear on a date with a trans person, etc. etc.
    I really start to wonder if ANY cis people are watching them, or reading them. The comments are always from other trans folks. Sending ME a video on how to talk to a trans person is a little moot (although I do talk to myself).
    I certainly hope cis folks are watching.
    Keep up the good work.