Thread: The terrible two’s are they so bad?

I've made it and love it Jennifer-GWN's Avatar

The terrible two’s are they so bad?

There’s lots of focus on the early trials and tribulations for the core transition period; but what about afterwards when “life begins to ‘cough settle down”?

I’m putting this out there in part because I’m now in the center of this particular period and probably in part due to the fact I have idle time giving me time to think (never a good idea).

Everyone’s transition path is different but one thing that can’t be bypassed is year 2. My path took the long slow road until such time as I viewed it right to initiate what I refer to as the mechanical aspect of transition HRT in earnest and “the big step” coming out and going full time. For me this represented a period of 18 months and quite a ride.

Anyway I’m here at the second year having been FT 7/24 for over a year now. In retrospect one thing I’ve learned along the way is you can prepare all you want but you never know what’s in-store until you get there and all too often hindsight becomes 20/20. If I’d only known before… Reality is as many have said in other posts … until you are in it you really don’t know how aspects of your transition are going to go or effect you.

Life is settling to a normal flow. Everyone knows; I get up in the morning and go about my day without hesitation or issue. I travel; no issue. I have lots of friends around me locally and around the world; cis and trans, love them all.

Life is good; so what’s the issue?

I know for me in particular I have a greater thrust for social situations since going full time. I was closeted for far too long having split with my wife more than 10 years ago although we’ve remained quite close. Over that period my world was work, my son, and my house (the cave). Even my neighbors commented about only seeing me once in a blue moon; situation is much different there now.

What does the terrible two’s represent?
    • Is it just further getting comfortable in your skin?
    • Is it a new sense of social need coming from years of closeted hiding and perhaps self-imposed shame?
    • Is it that you’ve spent so much time and energy getting here that suddenly there’s a void that needs filling?
    • Is it Emotional, Relationship, and companionship struggles as you look beyond yourself?
    • Is it finalizing the mechanical aspect of my transition; SRS and potential FFS
    • Or is it simply life returning to a new normal and the associated trials, tribulations, issues, and challenges that life brings with or without transition?

For me there are aspects of all these as I look forward wondering what’s next and how my life will unfold?

Again lots of focus on core transitioning rightly so; but as this forum matures and we ourselves mature in our own progress and lives, new challenges come. This is not to suggest that transitioning never ends; for me I consider myself transitioned.

Yes I have a few milestones left like SRS; and yes these do occupy a good deal of thought. They likely fall into the space of; as much as I learn and plan, I’ll really not know until I get there what I’m in for despite being close to several in the midst of this part today.

At this point I happy going about my day as an Integrated Woman while wondering what’s ahead.

Perhaps year 2 is the realizations of life; full of fun, full of interesting opportunities, full of day to day challenges and issues, and the end mostly just life as everyone faces it.

Curious what others think/experience in year 2 and beyond...

Jennifer (This is what happens when the brain is left off the leash)
    I am who I am... I'm happy...I mean truly to the bone happy...and at peace with myself for the first time ever. I'm confident and content as the woman I am.

Hey you....I can certainly tell the difference for you between last year and this year. I think you are on the right track as to why. As you know, I cannot and will not speak authoritatively on this topic as I am not in the second year yet. Following up on one of your possible contributing factors....I do think there is something to be said about a void in level of activity/focus on a a given aspect of life. Much like I am still settling into my new life, there are still lots of things to be done regarding my transition that take up a great deal of my time. Once they are done.....there will be an adjustment period, or turning the jets down from "warp drive" to "impulse power" (at least that is what I am anticipating??).

I experienced this type of phenomenon (if I may use the term) when I completed both of my Masters degrees. I was going flat out for 2 or 3 years, then complete it, and wham.....suddenly evenings and weekends were totally unencumbered. It was a very weird feeling! I still felt like I should be reading yet another article or writing a paper or more research. It took me quite a while to "re-assimilate" back into life, and adjust to my "new normal". So maybe, there is some part of that going on for you, as you hypothesized???

I will leave up to those who are much more experienced than I to respond with their wisdom.....

Keep on getting out and enjoying life!!!

Me.
    Last edited by Eringirl; 08-11-2016 at 10:05 AM.
    Seize the day. Life is short, and you're dead a long time...just sayin' ...

Wait till you get to the seven year itch part of it..
    I am real

Untitled
    OMG I forgot that one Kait.

My two year point was a non event. Not even sure which one to count, two years of accepting who I was or 2 years post SRS, which was some years later
    Listen carefully to what is said, quite often you can hear what is not being said

The joy of correcting a mistake can bring pain to another

Gold Member
    There are some discussions about how year 2 works for all of us and I think it will vary some. I am coming near the end of year 2 and it has been interesting. I thought my marriage survived my transition, but in reality, it probably took until things settled out. I took a different path than most in that I am very open in the community doing volunteer work. Year 2 has seen me become more engaged socially. And of course there was the final, physical step, GRS.

So I think it depends a lot on your path. Certainly, year 2 is going to have some elements of settling in, but also has some more upheaval for some of us. But it also is a time where everyone else is now used to your "new normal" and it becomes less of a discussion point. So year 2 can be a lot of letting go and living authentically. I am certain some may have experiences where upheaval pushed some of what I just said to year 3, so again, it may vary.

For me, I know there is more in year 3. Being single again will be more adjustments. Two years in time and my life has totally flipped outside of my employer. Not an uncommon thing.

The two's were not much different from now (three and a bit). As you stated, the normal life flow. Cooking, a tiny bit of cleaning, coffee with the girls, art galleries, and concerts. From about my first birthday it's been about the same. I didn't have a breaking in period, I said from now on it's only girl, and it was. I think a lot has to do with my huge amount of very good friends, both trans, and not. From the day I announced my transition, they have been right there beside me, but never once treated me as 'that trans girl'.
    My life borders on mundane, and that's fine. Today I went and bought my bff's dog some cool colapsable dog dishes for camping, and found a new butcher shop. My kind of day.

Untitled
    Quote Originally Posted by I Am Paula View Post
    My life borders on mundane, and that's fine. Today I went and bought my bff's dog some cool colapsable dog dishes for camping, and found a new butcher shop. My kind of day.
    And that Paula is what all of us want, a normal everyday life
    Listen carefully to what is said, quite often you can hear what is not being said

The joy of correcting a mistake can bring pain to another

I've made it and love it Jennifer-GWN's Avatar
    Kaitlyn... I'm actually hoping the itch part comes a bit earlier then 7 years...

Paula... You always left me with the sense that you are so good with you... A sense of just darn right happy being you

Sue... Agree there's a certian degree of fresh in the air this summer with the new normal as it pertains to the locals here... I've had a few questions regarding "how it's going" but mostly pure normal coming and going and that makes me simile. Good non problem to have.

Erin...impulse power is a good observation and yes the all too sudden void in other areas is a bit of a factor however there are aspects which have knurled around in my furry little head for some time which I know I'll eventually sort out.

Morale is Reaching the point where life gets to a state of normal is a welcomed point. Quite happy to be just coming and going each day. Its worth realizing this and taking a deep breath... There are other hurtles ahead for now oooohhhhhmmmmm... All is good.
    I am who I am... I'm happy...I mean truly to the bone happy...and at peace with myself for the first time ever. I'm confident and content as the woman I am.

I am not sure if I qualify for terrible 2 or not. The entire process has been about 3 years. 16 months ago I began HRT. Almost a year ago I came out at work. In May I had GRS. Yes it now seems so normal. I enjoy that the inner noise has died down and I am left with some peace. I looked up in Safeway the other day and it hit me. I was doing the grocery shopping and I was just happy! I smiled to myself and thought how grateful I was. Yes there will be more battles. I am sure I will feel less than for short periods when treated poorly. But I am free! That cannot be taken away by anyone. I hope the wonder and joy of being free never goes away.
    Suzanne
    Life Is One Big Dilation

Gone to live my life
    Hi Jennifer,

I guess I don't really qualify for "terrible twos" yet as I officially transitioned (i.e., went full time) just over a year ago. So I am starting in my second year . . . hmm . . . what shenanigans can this girl get in to?

However, things have normalized for me in my day to day life to date. I don't think about what people think of me and I just go about my day, interact, get things done. Basically I am just existing as I was meant to be. I am not really thinking about what comes next or what milestone I am reaching for. I am just soaking up every ounce of pure and utter joy/peace at being me. Like Suzanne, I find myself smiling over the most mundane things just because it feels so liberating being free and out doing those things. Life is good so I am just going to walk this path one day at the time and take things as they come.

Cheers

Marcelle

I have been absent from our site for awhile because I have been doing exactly what Suzanne and Marcelle described so thoroghly well, finally living life correct. I felt a need to come back in order to share that I came across a website called sex change regret.com It is so sad because the site which I learned of on radio leaves one with the impression that we TS are a bunch of mad hatters who need to be saved from ourselves and prevented from transitioning. The author cherry picks specific cases in an effort to leave the reader with the impression that SRS is a massive failure filled with regret. I wanted to wrte in that I, too have regret. But my regret is that I was unable to transition and srs earlier, preferably while still a child!
    It is nice to come back and read about so many of you being happy with your decision and new lives, just like me. Congratulations, you are all beautiful, happy, and finally well adjusted thanks to transitioning!
    Last edited by MarieTS; 08-27-2016 at 02:51 AM.
    Marie

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MarieTS View Post
    I came across a website called sex change regret.com
    It is a hate site that has no regard for truth. Some of the examples he quotes were obtained by editing anything that didn't support his bigotry out of what the person said - to the extent of quoting the opposite of what was really said.
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

You are so right, Rhianna. The big problem is that the so called mainstream media outlets are beginning to buy into his deceipt as verified research. I think it is going to take some very credible medical personnel to mount an informative campaign showing how transitioning has improved more lives than it has harmed. FAR MORE!z
    Last edited by MarieTS; 08-29-2016 at 12:38 AM.
    Marie

Their research isn't at all researched, their reason has no reason. They pick on what they see as vulnerable sections of humans because they are cowardly and insecure. Please don't waste any more of your life reading their nonsense.
    Last edited by Nigella; 11-15-2016 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Keep religion out of discussions
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]