Thread: hormones and weight loss how did u do.

hormones and weight loss how did u do.

I have been thinking. bad I dear I know. As I have read on here so many times that its hard to lose weight after going on hormones. I have not start HRT but will before the years out I hope omg I hope. I was wondering what other have done to lose the weight after starting HRT. I have been working on it down from 250 to 180 now witch has taken me quite some time. 6 years. started first by walking now i am a runner and love it. but its not enough. I was tot how to work out as a boy and then a man. So this is my thought
    i need to learn how woman work out. is it diff then man.( some stuff we have to relearn) So yesterday i talk to a personal trainer i let her know that i will be starting hrt soon and my body will be changing more in line with female and who i am. I do not went upper body muscles. I went a tone down/ tuned up body. ( i went my body more in line as my mind see it) .I know this is the GD going on in my head but i can not stop it. I had a consol set a side for 1 hr. we end up talking for two. I'm so excited i start on Thursday.(got to get medical clearance first 57. Shes putting a new groupe togather and i will be in a all womans groupe ya. Love Cindy

Gold Member
    Cindy, for most the question may be "how do you keep from gaining weight". When I went on HRT, I adjusted my diet down and the result is that I managed to stay the same weight for about 16 months. What got me at that point was an increase in Progesterone without adjust my diet and I went up 20 pounds. I may have the wrong cause, but it got my attention and I adjusted my diet. On HRT, generally your metabolism will go down and you have to adjust with more exercise or a better planned diet.

HI Cindy,

First, Congrats on things moving ahead for you!!! ...

I don't think weight struggles necessarily come along with the hormones... I think everyone is a bit different in how it plays out.

I am 55 and almost 3 years on HT

I had the experience of losing about 25 lbs my first 1.5 years on hormones..mid 160s down to upper 130s to low 140s... I believe most of it was muscle weight from surfing and running.... I continue to run quite a bit.. Actually, more than I did pre-transition and continue my eating pattern which is a fairly low carb paleo diet ( okay! ... I cheat but we can call it about 80% paleo) and have little problem maintaining where I am at. I hope your experience will be similar!!!

Take Care,

Ashley
    Have you seen the little pieces of the people we have been?... Little pieces blowing gently on the wind... 11:11

Before HRT my weight gaining season was always Summer,this year on HRT I am still steady on 155 lbs I did lose some muscle mass but not body fat ,what make look a little bit pudgy within the same weight...go figure

I cut out soda and alcohol. I walk everywhere.

I was at 165 when I went to the endo in Feb. I'm at 151 now. I'd still like to lose some weight in the stomach.
    I'm a nice Jewish girl.

I'm not a girl, Not yet a woman.

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    That is an impressive weight loss. Whilst it is true that HRT does not automatically mean weight gain, it has been my experience that weight loss is even harder after starting HRT than it was before.

I think that you have adopted a very good approach and one that gives you every chance of success. Well done you!
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

Thinks girls I got my physical done today so I could participate tomorrow after 55 you gotta sign a paper went to the clinic Figured to be around 20 or 30 copay ended up costing me $141 threw me for a loop. Yes It Was a lot but it took me 6 years to do that up down up down.
    yo-yo suck. I went to get down to 155 my high school weight. At 18 why you say okay, I asked my Dr. what is the weight we or I should be at and that's how I got at 155 first day boot camp. Since. I can use the gym and have a trainer. For free mite a well try it. Love Cindy

Quote Originally Posted by Rianna Humble View Post
    I think that you have adopted a very good approach and one that gives you every chance of success. Well done you!
    I was at 148 on Wednesday before leaving for dinner!
    Last edited by Rianna Humble; 08-19-2016 at 02:08 PM.
    I'm a nice Jewish girl.

I gained 20LB in the first year after GRS, went to the doctor for a yearly checkup and said how can that be, I have gained 20LB and have not changed my eating habits. Didn't get the answer for why, so I did things like cut out as many carbs as possible, use a indoor treadmill an hour each night and in under six months lost the weight. In my case I think several factors caused the gain in weight, hormones and a thyroid condition. Before the thyroid condition I was 130LB, went to 150LB then got it under control. On hormones for two years prior to GRS, gain a few pounds but the real gain came after surgery. So now I closely watch my daily intake which at 60 years old is a good thing.
    “When it comes to life, we spin our own yarn, and where we end up is really, in fact, where we always intended to be.” ― Julia Glass

Quote Originally Posted by MissDanielle View Post
    I was at 148 on Wednesday before leaving for dinner!
    That is awesome! May I ask how tall are you?

Breanna
    I haven't found the girl yet who wants to date a guy with cuter heels than her!

5'7" -- I used to hate my height until I realized I was a woman.
    Last edited by MissDanielle; 08-28-2016 at 08:01 AM.
    I'm a nice Jewish girl.

I saw the HRT doc for the 1st time the other day and this subject came up. I have great confidence in her she is the medical director at a University trans clinic. She said weight loss during HRT is possible but it requires even more effort than before. Makes sense to me. Goodbye pizza :-(

Ashley could you do some extra running for me :-) thx sis

Platinum Card Member AlisonWood's Avatar
    Now that I'm on HRT, I'm finding it's actually a little easier to lose weight...think mostly because I'm a stress eater. For me HRT = less dysphoria = less stress = less eating.

I've hovered right around 185 since starting HRT 6 months ago, however I jumped 4 or 5 lbs in the 2 weeks after starting progesterone. Time to starve!

Keeping my weight down has been a lot harder than I thought it would be. Sure, the HRT makes it harder, but there's also another reason... busier social life. I go out to eat a lot more nowadays because I have a lot more friends. And that's what people do when they go out - eat and drink, right? It sure is fun, but it's really hard to eat healthy when eating out. How many calories are in that entree...? There are a few restaurants that list calorie count, but it's pretty rare.

I've been on HRT for 17 months and I've stayed at 190 the last 4 years. No difference.
    Be yourself. Everyone else is taken!